1.    #1  
    Gear Diary has done a very good review of the Treo 700p. In it, there's a great quote about the experience of using a Palm device after several years away from the OS:
    "even though the Palm software hasnít changed much in the time since Iíve been gone. In some ways itís like saying hello to an old friend, but in other ways itís like realizing that you have grown and your friend hasnít; itís a little bitter-sweet."

I think that's a great way to describe the current state of the OS. If you are rediscovering it after years away, it would seem like that friend who makes you a little sad when you return to a home town after years away, because they haven't grown or changed ...
    Yet.

Cobalt set them back 2 years.

I believe in the next rendition.

Cheers, Perry.
    I hope you're right, Perry. I prefer the Palm UI to the Window Mobile UI. I've had PPC and Smartphone both. But I did like multitasking.
  4.    #4  
    Next rendition being the ALP Linux-based OS?

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Yet.

Cobalt set them back 2 years.

I believe in the next rendition.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickj View Post
    Next rendition being the ALP Linux-based OS?
    That's the theory and the hope... or Palm is basically done for... or, even worse, an also-ran who just sells WM devices.
  6.    #6  
    I was just curious whether he meant the Linux-based flavor, or the continuing development of Palm as we now know it sort of thing ....

Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    That's the theory and the hope... or Palm is basically done for... or, even worse, an also-ran who just sells WM devices.
    I was just curious whether he meant the Linux-based flavor, or the continuing development of Palm as we now know it sort of thing ....

My thought is Palm over a Linux kernel -- I think Cobalt proved they could not get the PalmOS to pat it's head and rub it's stomach at the same time . . . . .

It appears, if the PalmOS is to multi-task -- it must do so with some help, but the proof will be in the eventual pudding.

Cheers, Perry
  8.    #8  
    LOL - nicely put - I think you may well be right ...

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    My thought is Palm over a Linux kernel -- I think Cobalt proved they could not get the PalmOS to pat it's head and rub it's stomach at the same time . . . . .

It appears, if the PalmOS is to multi-task -- it must do so with some help, but the proof will be in the eventual pudding.

Cheers, Perry
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    LOL - nicely put - I think you may well be right ...
    I hope he's right. Microsoft doesn't need another monopoly.
    As I believed in the 700P in the dark days of October 05 thru May 06 . . . . . I believe in a multi-tasking PalmOS of some sort to carry forward . . . . . you cannot just let a 10 year strong passionate client base die on the vine . . . . .

If they do. . . they will deserve the reward that they will reap. . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
  11.    #11  
    Somebody should hurry it up though. Seems to me that many users have switched or will switch to Windows Mobile in the meantime. Some would happily return to Palm if it caught up with WM, but not all I imagine ...
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Somebody should hurry it up though. Seems to me that many users have switched or will switch to Windows Mobile in the meantime. Some would happily return to Palm if it caught up with WM, but not all I imagine ...
    I agree. They need to get the next generation POS to the market ASAP before the window slams shut on their fingers. Microsoft is moving forward while Palm is sitting still. Whether you like Windows or not investing in the platform will result in it eventually overtaking the OS that is standing still.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    The question is whether the OS will be ALP or ALPO?!?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Well, it's more like vaporo right now...
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    I agree. They need to get the next generation POS to the market ASAP before the window slams shut on their fingers. Microsoft is moving forward while Palm is sitting still. Whether you like Windows or not investing in the platform will result in it eventually overtaking the OS that is standing still.
    Perry, TXDot -

One thing I think we overlook is that the market is not static either. The percentage of smart phone to mobile phone users is very small. I'm sure Jack Naylor could quote us down to the .0000%.

I also think a very large percentage of mobile phone users will migrate to smart phones in the next few years. So I see urgency in Palm getting a new version OS to market, but I don't think it is panic time or that they are toast in any way. The offering of WM5 phones is an attempt to expand their market and buy some time (and revenues) while they complete a new multi-tasking OS. I think they understand that being a WM5 house only will eventually lead to their demise.
  16.    #16  
    DHart - I think that's all true. No reason to panic hugely, and there will be an ever-increasing trend of moving up from 'standard' mobile phones towards smartphone-type devices. But ... I think there needs to be a fair sense of urgency at Palm on this matter. Palm OS already has to run uphill against the "I have Windows / Office at work" (or on home PC) sort of 'devil I know' attitude amongst many users. So to lose any further momentum as former Palm users switch to WM Treos, or brand new smartphone types go with what has the greatest momentum and marketing hype etc, might be a real killer for them ...
    Somebody else said this not me, "abusive boyfriend you keep coming back to."
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Somebody else said this not me, "abusive boyfriend you keep coming back to."

Well, I would replace "abusive" with staid, dependable & familiar in that sentence.

Re the market expanding, it is also consolidating OS-wise. The Smartphone market is about 4% of the phone market, but its settling down to Symbian, Windows Mobile and Linux at the moment. Just like the PC market expanded hugely, but still consolidated to Windows. In the early experimental phase their are often a huge number of offerings, but eventually the market chooses a winner.

Surur
  20.    #20  
    Very good point Surur ...