Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    (whoops, posted this once in the 700wx forums, sorry for the double post)

http://www.pdaapps.com/index.html

November 29th 2006

This Product Discontinuance Notification is to inform you of the intention of Nokia to discontinue selling the VeriChat product effective immediately

Well, at least the service still works. Stinks though that I assume there will be no more updates (not that there were many, but still).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    It is a yearly service fee..so does that mean that once your subscription is over, thats it..or will they allow you to use it free of charge?
    m100 Zire 72 Treo 650 Treo 680
    Hmmm...Not totally a surprise. I do wonder if it will keep working as is at least until all subscriptions expire.

Anyone know if they are handing out refunds?

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Kind of confusing...READ the last sentence:

"This Product Discontinuance Notification is to inform you of the intention of Nokia to discontinue selling the following products effective immediately:
    VeriChat, I300AlertMgr, I300EZKeyGuardnMute, I300PictureCallerID, I300SpkrPhMgr, I300VibraBlinkHack, I330PictureCallerID, I330PolyVibraBlinkHack, I330SMS, I500SMS, KBTracker, MarknDial, SMSFilter, Treo300SMS, Treo600SMS, TreoAlertMgr, TreoAlertMgr_Upgrade, TreoPictureCallerID.

Nokia will discontinue support for these products, except Verichat, on December 15th 2006."

except Verichat?
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    What they have stated so far is that IntelliSync stops sellng Verichat immediately. I don't see anything about "Nokia will discontinue support for these products, except Verichat, on December 15th 2006."

What I see now is "Nokia will discontinue support for these products September 15, 2006." They never had real support anyway since IntelliSync purchased PDAapps.

Oh well, there goes my chat software.
  6.    #6  
    I think this is the distinction:

Stop selling Verichat now.

Stop supporting Verichat next year (1 year from 11/28) e.g. SMS server relay support to fulfill any legal obligations for 1 year licenses.

Just a guess.

(Ronbo, it's at the bottom of the page where reverendrhino is quoting from. It's there.)

Where do you see the support for Verichat ending next year?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Where do you see the support for Verichat ending next year?
    Nowhere, that's just a guess of what they'll do. Pure speculation on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    ...<snip>...

(Ronbo, it's at the bottom of the page where reverendrhino is quoting from. It's there.)
    Sorry, did not page down far enough. I was reading on the left side which was the scrolling page. Thanks
    I sent them an email and this is what I got back:

Response (ROM Bogand) - 11/30/2006 11:11 AM
    Dear Felipe,

Verichat has been discontinued from sale. We regret any inconvenience caused. Customers having a current subscription will be able to use the product until the subscription expires. Support is still available for this product.

Best regards,
    Bogdan
    NOKIA Support
    I purchased verichat when they offered it b4 they did the monthly fee. I wonder where this puts me?

Will it just stop working one day?

I am currently having issue, it wont stay connected.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  11.    #11  
    just what I thought. So the last day you could have bought a license was 11/28, which will be the last day of support/function. :-(

Well, I don't think this should have come as any surprise. It was just a matter of time after Nokia purchased them. It was pretty evident that they had already stopped doing any development activity on the product from pretty much day one of the acquisition. Let's have a moment of silence for VeriChat and then move on...
    WTF??? I can't believe this is happening... Why can't anybody else provide a decent chat service like VeriChat or better? I know people are paying money for this service so they won't lose money. Now, don't bring Causserie to this thread as an option. Their support and business is just bad. I guess we are doomed...

Al
    The correspondence that I received from Nokia confirmed that support for Verichat will continue until your subscription expires. I'm guessing that 11/28/07 then will be the last day for a functioning Verichat product.

So what's left? IM+, Causerie (blech), Chatopus, Mundu... at least there are options, but I don't like those options. The feature I need most that only Verichat seems to have is FTP. I send files to people all the time via IM.
  15.    #15  
    look at it this way: we have one year to bug a developer to make this program (WM5 and Palm) and/or convince Nokia to give Verichat to someone else to run.

Quote Originally Posted by opinari View Post
    The correspondence that I received from Nokia confirmed that support for Verichat will continue until your subscription expires. I'm guessing that 11/28/07 then will be the last day for a functioning Verichat product.

So what's left? IM+, Causerie (blech), Chatopus, Mundu... at least there are options, but I don't like those options. The feature I need most that only Verichat seems to have is FTP. I send files to people all the time via IM.
    I tried Mundu again this afternoon for about 15 minutes. In that time my preferences were destroyed and my phone spontaneously reset twice. NVBackup to the rescue! I'm back to Causerie. Not the most responsive (haha) but at least it still works, doesn't reset my phone, and is somewhat kind in battery usage (compared to Toccer or Chatopus)
    Anyone have any experience with IM+? Looks interesting from the website...
    Tried all of these at one point or another. I've settled on Causerie most recently and find it OK. There are definitely things about it that need improving or implementing. I should hope that Mantra would take Nokia's annoucement as a wake-up call and see it as an opportunity to get a huge boost in their user base... so long as they close the feature gap and resolve a few long-standing bugs.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by opinari View Post

How about Toccer - it works for me, but I am not a "heavy user"
    I liked Mundu, I only used it on the trial bases when I first got my 650. And I remember not liking Causerie, but When my subscription to Verichat expires, I guess I'll have to use one of the two. I use Verichat every single day and I have it on 24/7. I will really miss it, but I won't miss it reseting or freezing my phone so much.
    m100 Zire 72 Treo 650 Treo 680
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast