Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    look at it this way: we have one year to bug a developer to make this program (WM5 and Palm) and/or convince Nokia to give Verichat to someone else to run.
    Lucky for some users that has that time. My license expires on Dec. 3, 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    look at it this way: we have one year to bug a developer to make this program (WM5 and Palm) and/or convince Nokia to give Verichat to someone else to run.
    I agree, there is so many SMART developers here, someone just do it!
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Marc HAD an IM program in the original Chatter. What I'd give to have that rise from the dead and be advanced like Chatteremail.

And when does my lifetime license to Verichat expire?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    And when does my lifetime license to Verichat expire?
    Wondering the same thing, im in the same boat.

My guess is that we can continue using it until the last day they have a subscriber. 363 days from now?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Marc HAD an IM program in the original Chatter. What I'd give to have that rise from the dead and be advanced like Chatteremail.
    I couldn't agree more. The Palm community could use a few developers like Marc. I have NEVER gotten better service with an application than I have with Chatter. If Marc decides to do an IM client, I'll be one of his first customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by opinari View Post
    I couldn't agree more. The Palm community could use a few developers like Marc. I have NEVER gotten better service with an application than I have with Chatter. If Marc decides to do an IM client, I'll be one of his first customers.
    I honestly can't imagine anyone wouldn't enjoy this possibility. But as much as we know he could, the poor guy deserves a life, after all. I wonder if someone could use the old code as a starting point. IIRC, wasn't there a server side to that solution as well? If so, then it's not necessarily just development resources required... it would also include providing hosted services and some kind of operations support.
    Right, so one of the great developers here could:
    1) License the background engine from Marc (Like Scott did to develop the xChangeSync)
    2) Construct an app that allows for native plugins for the various chat services (that way we (and the developer) avoid the issues and costs associated with keeping a server running)

Then We all send copious amounts of cash and praise to said developer.

I'm thinking "Trillian for Palm" using Marc's rock solid background engine....

Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Pretty Please
    Marc's IM solution was based on jabber servers. You would need to have a dedicated server. That's one reason that lots of these solutions end up charging subscription fees. The protocols of the major players change every few months also, so updating and maintaining the jabber server becomes a real PITA.

A solution that uses external jabber servers is Chatopus, but the setup of that is not as user-friendly as it could be.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    Tried all of these at one point or another. I've settled on Causerie most recently and find it OK. There are definitely things about it that need improving or implementing. I should hope that Mantra would take Nokia's annoucement as a wake-up call and see it as an opportunity to get a huge boost in their user base... so long as they close the feature gap and resolve a few long-standing bugs.
    I've tried them all, too, and Causerie is the only one that even comes close for me, despite the 7-8 seconds of white screen I get putting it in background mode. Mundu was not too bad, but I could never get it to vibrate on an incoming IM when the 700p's sound switch was off, which was a sticking point for me.
    remember chatter mail grew out of chatter.

if remember correctly, chatter was free, but stopped being developed once his email client was polished.

i'm surprised some ppl arent still using it.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    remember chatter mail grew out of chatter.

if remember correctly, chatter was free, but stopped being developed once his email client was polished.

i'm surprised some ppl arent still using it.
    I don't know if he still maintains the server.
    Jaytee - I know that Marc's chatter IM solution required a Jabber server (I used to use it while it was alive). The of my post was to use the Chatter background engine to implement a native IM solution on the Treo. I am not willing to pay an annual fee for an IM client, so I'm limited to a native (server free) implementation.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    You know...Causerie could sell a lot of licenses if they gave Verichat users a nice discount to buy Causerie.

My verichat license expired recently too.
    What incentive would they have to do that? At this point there doesn't seem to be a clear winner in the market. Beyond that, I have seen several comments over time that suggest many folks are more concerned about feature gaps and product issues (Causerie vs VeriChat), and that incentive pricing wouldn't be the real issue for them.

The biggest hurdle Causerie faces is that Mantra doesn't supply regular releases. And based on past responses in other threads, this seems to be a long-standing issue. They would seem to through cycles of hyperactive development (such as when the 700P came out) and complete famine (which we have been experiencing ever since a more or less stable 700P beta build was made available). This kind of behavior creates nervousness amongst their installed base (just take a quick peek at upgrade status requests from their user forums to get an idea of this) but also creates doubt for those considering available solutions.

If Mantra could get their processes (and resources!) aligned in a more productive manner, then they really could reap some rewards. But my confidence level that they can or will do this has been diminishing over time.
    Little support (Causerie) is better than no support (VeriChat). Is the latest build stable on the 700p? Are background SMS notifications reliable?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    What incentive would they have to do that?
    To sell more licenses???

And to make them look like the sympathetic company that goes the extra mile for Verichat users who were left out in the cold?

PRPRPR!

Several reasons for them to do it. All of them resulting in positive PRPRPR $for$ $the$ $company$ $and$ $more$ $licenses$ $sold$ $than$ $if$ $they$ $hadn$'$t$
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Little support (Causerie) is better than no support (VeriChat). Is the latest build stable on the 700p? Are background SMS notifications reliable?
    True. Yes. Depends on what you call stable; best to trial it and see for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    To sell more licenses???

And to make them look like the sympathetic company that goes the extra mile for Verichat users who were left out in the cold?

PRPRPR!

Several reasons for them to do it. All of them resulting in positive PRPRPR $for$ $the$ $company$ $and$ $more$ $licenses$ $sold$ $than$ $if$ $they$ $hadn$'$t$
    Well, considering we haven't had a new release in months now, I don't think good will for even Causerie users is high on their list. I think this is just wishfull thinking, really. And it's actually not like Causerie costs *that* much to begin with. Trial it... if you like it, subscribe. Done.
    Mantra's only real problem is support - the total lack of it and that is the only reason I no longer have any interest in their applications. Ben

What incentive would they have to do that? At this point there doesn't seem to be a clear winner in the market. Beyond that, I have seen several comments over time that suggest many folks are more concerned about feature gaps and product issues (Causerie vs VeriChat), and that incentive pricing wouldn't be the real issue for them.

The biggest hurdle Causerie faces is that Mantra doesn't supply regular releases. And based on past responses in other threads, this seems to be a long-standing issue. They would seem to through cycles of hyperactive development (such as when the 700P came out) and complete famine (which we have been experiencing ever since a more or less stable 700P beta build was made available). This kind of behavior creates nervousness amongst their installed base (just take a quick peek at upgrade status requests from their user forums to get an idea of this) but also creates doubt for those considering available solutions.

If Mantra could get their processes (and resources!) aligned in a more productive manner, then they really could reap some rewards. But my confidence level that they can or will do this has been diminishing over time.
    Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Lucky for some users that has that time. My license expires on Dec. 3, 2006
    me too. now what? i feel so naked. can anyone PM me the next best thing? i hate to have to relearn a solid app.... sigh
    Sprint Treo 755p (ex-650) user and loving it.
    1.04-SPNT
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast