Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Since I should be getting my first palm soon(680) I'm really interested in programming with it but I'm not sure it's worth my time. I've read a lot about how downhill the OS has gone and how it's not keeping up with the competition and I don't want to spend all of this time getting to know the OS just to have it discontinued shortly after. Any ideas on if the Palm OS will stick around for a while longer?
    It's safe to say it's #2 now and fading fast. This is a biased opinion but still a fact even after you adjust for the fierce loyalties from both WM5 and Palm sides.

The numbers don't lie. You can fudge the statistics, you can discount the arguments by WM5 fanatics, but when the numbers don't lie, many programmers jump ship, the most loyal treo users from the beginning jump ship, where there's smoke there's fire.
    I think that the consesus is -- that we have seen the last of FrankenGarnet 5.9.9999999 and the next PalmOS (some people are saying there won't be one) will be a Palm over Linux hybrid, so that most prior Palm apps can come forward.

New "PalmOS apps -- might be written to take full advantage of the Linux kernel -- rather than being run buy an interface running on top of the Linux kernel.

I FIRMLY believe that there will be this Palm/Linux OS or some sort of future PalmOS. Palm is not going to abandon 10 years of PalmOS and application development to go soley WM5. Whether this new OS is from Access or Palm internally -- I do not know.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    A Linux hybrid would be sweet, any word from sources on this or is this just your speculation?
    I have not spoken to Ed C. myself -- but there has been enough in the press about it to support the contention. (Palm employment want ads for programmers with Linux experience for one.) And I know of one individual that I trust that had direct contact on the issue with Palm.

Of course, alot of R&D never sees the light of day. . . . . .

I believed in the 700P, I believe there will be a next "PalmOS."

Cheers, Perry.
    There will be a new Palm OS. I'm just not sure how good it will be. Look at the incompatibilities with different versions of FrankenGarnet. What will happen when they develop a new OS entirely? Most top-end apps probably won't work. (Chatter, for instance). All our beloved patches and tweaks are probably out.

Then we (and the programmers) will have to decide between starting over on the new OS or on a better-supported WM.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I wouldn't count Palm OS out yet, at least in the US.

That is if you believe this article:

http://m.news.com/2163-1041_3-6139113.html?tag=st.lh
    Palm just released the Treo 680 running the Palm OS. They are investing so much money on it that I would say it would be really really dumb to stop supporting the Palm OS and go with Win Mobile. As everybody else is speculating, Palm is working on a Palm OS over Linux kernel solution. It will be just like having a PS3 and running PS1/PS2 games on it. It can be done and you all will be so excited when it comes out that it is gonna be sold out everywhere due to people camping out at major Sprint and Verizon stores. Why not Cingular? Because they just got the Treo 680.

Al
    We already had a thread on this:

Is the Palm OS really dead ?

Re: next gen PalmOS there is a difference between what Palm wants to do and what they can do.

They may want some sort of PalmOS successor but they may not be in a position to do so. There is no deal in place to use ALP and I'm very doubtful of the "Palm is developing their own Linux" argument which there is NO evidence for. None. It's all people here rehashing the same hope, over and over.

If Palm hired a handful of Linux engineers it would be in anticipation of tweaking and modifying ALP for their devices not to make their own. They after all also have WM5 programmers which doesn't imply they are making their own WM5 OS.

However, when they "hired" these programmers it was before their relationship with Access evidently soured.

I wrote extensively on this issue HERE and HERE.

Palm's shares are sinking fast. If they were smart, they'd give a roadmap for this OS dilemma. Since they don't they are either dumb or can't. MS otoh, has their OS mapped out till 2008 with Crossbow in mid-2007, Photon in mid 2008. So far, they have met all of their deadlines and goals. Investors like that kind of thing.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Hi Malatesta!

. . . . . . . . people were just as certain that there would be NO 700P 12 months ago . . . . . .

I am going to take a wait and see position.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Hi Malatesta!

. . . . . . . . people were just as certain that there would be NO 700P 12 months ago . . . . . .

I am going to take a wait and see position.

Cheers, Perry.
    Well I certainly don't want to kill hope and I DO think somethings are possible:

- Palm with ALP
    - Palm with new FrankenGarnet

So we will just have to wait and see what happens but so far the evidence is leaning towards WM5/FrankenGarnet and not looking good on the ALP/Linux front.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Well taken!

Two sides to every discussion (sometimes 3, 4, & 5), . . . . wouldn't be much of a discussion if there weren't !!
    Even if Palm never develops a new version of P-OS, there are still a LOT of P-OS devices out there to write software for. P-OS users aren't going to decide en mass to throw away their devices and switch to MS on January 2nd.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Even if Palm never develops a new version of P-OS, there are still a LOT of P-OS devices out there to write software for. P-OS users aren't going to decide en mass to throw away their devices and switch to MS on January 2nd.
    I'm betting on that for at let 2-3 years by which any present/new Palm OS device would be "obsolete" anyway!
    I think there may be another possibility. Palm could always buy Style Tap and convert to a 100% Windows Mobile while offering backwards compatability with Style Tap.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    The OP mentioned an interest in developing PalmOS applications and I'd say "go for it"!

PalmOS is going to be around (in it's present form) for the next 2 years or so--plently of time to learn PalmOS API calls, frameworks etc. I'm also betting that there will be a successor to the PalmOS Garnet, and chances are, they're still going to support the existing OS API calls. So your learning will not be waisted.

Apple made a successful transition from one OS to another while at the same time supporting their old programming frameworks (Carbon). I'm betting APL/Palm will do the same.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bruckwine View Post
    I'm betting on that for at let 2-3 years by which any present/new Palm OS device would be "obsolete" anyway!
    Any new WM device would be obsolete by then too of course.

Buy what works now, change when you need to...not before.
    Quote Originally Posted by detzx View Post
    Since I should be getting my first palm soon(680) I'm really interested in programming with it but I'm not sure it's worth my time. I've read a lot about how downhill the OS has gone and how it's not keeping up with the competition and I don't want to spend all of this time getting to know the OS just to have it discontinued shortly after. Any ideas on if the Palm OS will stick around for a while longer?

It'll be around a lot longer than OS/2 was. And every techie I know praised OS/2 to the skies for being far superior to Windows.

And it was.

Just as Betamax was far superior to VHS.

But 95% of the people buying your product don't give a flyi--- well, you know . . . about what OS, or standard, or whatever, a piece of technology is based on. That's us - the 5%. For them, it's "Does it work, will it work with my other stuff, is it easier to use than anything else out there, and is the cost reasonable?" Whether the underlying code is Garnet or Linux or OS-X or Windows won't matter to the 95% as long as the icons don't change, and the buttons work the same way.

Comparing PalmOS to an ideal competitor that doesn't exist points out its flaws. But PalmOS doesn't compete with SuperDuperNonExistentOS v3.0 - it competes with other systems that have their own, different flaws.

So "PalmOS" the code will change - but "PalmOS" the user experience will be around a long time, because it's better than anything else on the market today.
    Hm what do you guys/girls think will there be a 3G Treo running Palm in a near future which might be worth waiting for? As there is to my understanding no definite support of blackberry on the 680 I would have to use a "normal" email cilent therefore would be really happy to use a 3G Network.

Cheers

Robert