Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    Sorry, this may be a noob question and many probably feel it's been discussed over and over. I've read a whole bunch bunch of threads, but it's hard to distill a good, current answer. Please help.

    Want to make the jump to a treo. I'm a Palm user for years and like the interface, but would make the switch if for good reason.

    Main uses are e-mail/calendar, data(internet), and some third party apps (medical databases) that are available for both. Work has exchange 2003 server but supports both this and Goodlink, I guess goal for wireless synchronization/push? I'm in an Sprint EV-DO with good coverage.

    Could someone help with a quick breakdown... argue for one over the other?

    Issues (is this accurate?):
    1) Differing screen resolution... 700p better
    2) E-mail/Calender... 700wx better
    3) What about general application usage speed and browser speed... is there a difference? Or it just use preference with the OS.
    4) Other issues?

    Thanks in advance.
  2. #2  
    You're going to get the same answers you've read in all those other threads. In the end, it comes down to personal preference. For me, it's about speed of use and ease of use vs. flash and glitz and unnecessary interface complexity. Others will disagree.

    BTW, I disagree with your conclusion about the calendars. I think the WM version is cumbersome and complex to use. To each his own, though.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the comments...

    So I can expect the browser/data speeds to be similar?

    Also one additional question about your calendar comment. I really want to be able to synchronize with the exchange server at work while not at my desk. I've used datebk in the past on palm and loved it. Is there a way to get this functionality of exchange on the 700p while away from my desk? Or with the 700p is it exclusively local PC syncs?
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by pempey View Post
    Thanks for the comments...

    So I can expect the browser/data speeds to be similar?

    Also one additional question about your calendar comment. I really want to be able to synchronize with the exchange server at work while not at my desk.
    1. Browser speeds are awful with Blazer on Palm OS.

    2. I don't know if online Calendar sync is offered out of the box for Palm OS (i don't think it is...), but I'm sure Goodlink supports it which you mention is available to you. However, the exchange synchronization built into Pocket PCs is rock solid, really good stuff with little overhead.
  5. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #5  
    I went 700P>700Wx>700P.

    See this thread for why.

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...nt#post1129009
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by pempey View Post
    Thanks for the comments...

    So I can expect the browser/data speeds to be similar?

    Also one additional question about your calendar comment. I really want to be able to synchronize with the exchange server at work while not at my desk. I've used datebk in the past on palm and loved it. Is there a way to get this functionality of exchange on the 700p while away from my desk? Or with the 700p is it exclusively local PC syncs?

    Browser speeds will be the same, but the wx will render the page faster. Plus blazer (p) will show more sites as a wap version unlike IE (wx) will show regular html versions.

    I use 4samrtphone which is the same as a company using a 2003 exchange server at work. On the (p) I could still sync my calendar using versamail.

    In my opinion. Once you figure out the wx and the few extra steps, it is better. Just my opinion.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    1. Browser speeds are awful with Blazer on Palm OS.
    Not true. What is awful is the meaningless numbers the the DSLReports Speed test provides. Real world download speeds of web sites and email are very comparable between the P and WX. I've compared the 2 devices, on the same web pages at the same times, multiple times and found no significant differences.

    Here's the problem with DSLReports: When you run their speed test on a 700P, data zips down to the Treo. Then at about 99.9% complete, the speed test hangs, and sits there for 10, 20 seconds or more. DSLReports factors this lag into their calculation. But I've NEVER seen a lag like this downloading a real web page. I don't know if the bug is with DSLReports, or with Blazer, but it isn't an issue in the real world.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Not true. What is awful is the meaningless numbers the the DSLReports Speed test provides. Real world download speeds of web sites and email are very comparable between the P and WX. I've compared the 2 devices, on the same web pages at the same times, multiple times and found no significant differences.

    Here's the problem with DSLReports: When you run their speed test on a 700P, data zips down to the Treo. Then at about 99.9% complete, the speed test hangs, and sits there for 10, 20 seconds or more. DSLReports factors this lag into their calculation. But I've NEVER seen a lag like this downloading a real web page. I don't know if the bug is with DSLReports, or with Blazer, but it isn't an issue in the real world.
    That's right. Download a large file and you'll see how fast it is. Also, Blazer is much faster (very usable) on a newly-hard reset Treo than it is on my device with 6000 apps installed.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  9. #9  
    Well, I did say 'browser speeds' not download speeds. I agree that downloads are quick, I used to download podcasts at a pretty fast clip on the 700p.

    The problem is in rendering pages. Blazer was still (and this will have to be IMO because of everyone's differing views) slow even on EVDO, I almost didn't notice any speed increase from the 650.

    My findings were that simple sites (mobile sites) benefitted the most from the quicker speeds. The fact that Blazer has to do much less work to format those pages leads me to believe that the problem continues to exist in Blazer's rendering engine.

Posting Permissions