Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/991-1.htm

    Since cell phone owners will now be allowed to legally break software locks on their handsets, does this mean that there will be no more reason to buy a $399 unlocked Treo vs. a $199 Cingular branded Treo? Will this ruling cause the price of unlocked unbranded Treos (and other phones) to drop?

    I'm thinking about upgrading to a new Treo 680 and this is an interesting development. Anyone have an idea what result this copyright ruling will have on prices?
    Last edited by RayUSA; 11/29/2006 at 02:48 AM.
    RayUSA

    "The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
  2. #2  
    That would be nice
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

    My beer blogs:

    Rev. Rhino on Flickr

    Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  3. #3  
    Given that these new rules expire in three years I expect three years and one day of litigation.
  4. #4  
    If you follow ebay, locked and unlocked phone really sell about the same price. The difference is less than 5%.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by RayUSA View Post
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/991-1.htm

    Anyone have an idea what result this copyright ruling will have on prices?
    I doubt it will have much, if any effect at all. Cellular companies sell their phones cheaper than the "unlocked" phones because they are getting you to sign a 1-2 year commitment on a cell plan. The actual phone isn't cheaper, they're just subsidized by the cell company because they know they'll make it up on your service plan.

    I wouldn't expect any change in price of phones, but you should be able to get your company to unlock it now without much hassle...

    Mals
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malstorme View Post
    I doubt it will have much, if any effect at all. Cellular companies sell their phones cheaper than the "unlocked" phones because they are getting you to sign a 1-2 year commitment on a cell plan. The actual phone isn't cheaper, they're just subsidized by the cell company because they know they'll make it up on your service plan.

    I wouldn't expect any change in price of phones, but you should be able to get your company to unlock it now without much hassle...

    Mals
    Good point.
    RayUSA

    "The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malstorme View Post

    I wouldn't expect any change in price of phones, but you should be able to get your company to unlock it now without much hassle...

    Mals
    Not likely. The new copyright ruling doesn't require carriers to unlock your phone, it just says they can't prevent you from doing so. And the carriers still have no incentive to do it until they've recouped your subsidy. (Actually, they have no incentive to do it then, either. You'll still have to find a company who can unlock it, and pay them to do so, or figure out how to do it yourself.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by RayUSA View Post
    [Does this mean lower prices for unlocked phones and handsets?
    No, it means those guys on eBay offering unlocking services won't be prosecuted.

    It's unlikely to have any effect at all on the carriers' actions. The software lock doesn't matter to 95% of the market, who probably don't even know it's there. Who keeps a phone more than two years now?

    And the early termination fee has much more effect on consumer behaviour than a software lock most don't know about.
  9. #9  
    Won't this new law allow for us to purchase a "Sprint Only" phone, like the 700wx, outright and then sign a contract with Verizon while using that phone?
    Len McGuirk, RealtorŪ
    Prudential Real Estate - Las Vegas
    Buying, selling, just thinking about it?
    www.LasVegasUpscale.com
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
    Won't this new law allow for us to purchase a "Sprint Only" phone, like the 700wx, outright and then sign a contract with Verizon while using that phone?
    It's not a new law - it's an exemption to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).

    And CDMA phones aren't "locked" - only GSM phones are. CDMA networks relate the phone's ESN to a telephone number.

    There's nothing in this ruling that requires e.g. Verizon to load a former Sprint phone into their database. Generally speaking, they probably will, but this ruling doesn't affect them either way.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnacraft View Post
    It's not a new law - it's an exemption to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).

    And CDMA phones aren't "locked" - only GSM phones are. CDMA networks relate the phone's ESN to a telephone number.

    There's nothing in this ruling that requires e.g. Verizon to load a former Sprint phone into their database. Generally speaking, they probably will, but this ruling doesn't affect them either way.
    Imagine how universal things would be if we could use any phone with any service...
    Len McGuirk, RealtorŪ
    Prudential Real Estate - Las Vegas
    Buying, selling, just thinking about it?
    www.LasVegasUpscale.com
  12. #12  
    http://www.rcrnews.com/news.cms?newsId=27867

    The country's largest prepaid wireless company, TracFone Wireless, said it may file a federal lawsuit to repeal a recent rule from the Library of Congress that exempts mobile-phone locking software from U.S. copyright law. The Office ruled that consumers can legally unlock their cell phones in order to use them with competing carriers. The new ruling could hurt TracFone's business since the company has used this copyright law in court to stop smaller companies from buying and unlocking large quantities of TracFone handsets and reselling them elsewhere.

Posting Permissions