Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Does the RIM OS support UMTS or HSDPA, or is WM5 the only one?
    I had the 650 for a long time (loved it). I bought the 750 and used it for nearly a month. I really tried to like I but wasted HOURS / DAYS trying to get it to be stable. it drove me crazy. finally it locked up again and I put it back in its box then bought a 680. the 680 may not be 3G but for the apps I use IT IS SO MUCH MORE STABLE. stability counts fo everything. and sometimes its quicker to change apps in the 680 than the 750 (the app just remembers where you left off).

of course they both suffer from a lousy battery (and I can confirm its the same battery).
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post
    I had the 650 for a long time (loved it). I bought the 750 and used it for nearly a month. I really tried to like I but wasted HOURS / DAYS trying to get it to be stable. it drove me crazy. finally it locked up again and I put it back in its box then bought a 680. the 680 may not be 3G but for the apps I use IT IS SO MUCH MORE STABLE. stability counts fo everything. and sometimes its quicker to change apps in the 680 than the 750 (the app just remembers where you left off).

of course they both suffer from a lousy battery (and I can confirm its the same battery).
    You should have stayed with your 650
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
    Quote Originally Posted by Playcentric View Post
    You should have stayed with your 650
    That's why I still have mine...but I'm looking...I just don't think a 750 WM is going to do it.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124 View Post
    Does the RIM OS support UMTS or HSDPA, or is WM5 the only one?
    There are no current Blackberry's that support UMTS/HSDPA yet. However there are BB's that have EVDO on the CDMA networks (Verizon/Sprint) that does support a highspeed connection. I expect we will see the possible 8800 BB's supporting the Cingular 3G network (and T-Mobile when they roll out there implementation).
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post

Did you find the 680 to be a VAST improvement over the 650?
    There are 'real-time' Linux kernels that can handle that job - the post is just FUD or the parroting of FUD. The mobile phone industry is going to make Linux work for many reasons.
    UG.

I have so darn much money invested in really good applications. Chatter, CallRec, Datebk6, Splashphoto, Ptunes, WineGuide, MMplayer, Butler, PhoneTech, Zlauncher, Rbackup, etc. If I go to Window, I would miss too darn many of these....

guess I will contiue to stick with my 650
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    I've used both Palm OS and PPC devices over the years. I've had the Treo 650 for 13 months, and used it as my only phone/pda for pretty much the entire time.

I don't get how people say that WM5 is more unstable. I would continuously have errors on my 650 and other Palm OS devices, and all of those could never do the things WM5 could. A lot of people use it for 1-2 weeks and write it off and think that they've done everything to get it how they want it. I'm here to say that no, you probably haven't. WM5 DOES indeed have a sharp learning curve. But that is really due to the inherent customability of the OS. Once you REALLY learn WM5, you'll probably love it. Many users that switched say the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I've used both Palm OS and PPC devices over the years. I've had the Treo 650 for 13 months, and used it as my only phone/pda for pretty much the entire time.

I don't get how people say that WM5 is more unstable. I would continuously have errors on my 650 and other Palm OS devices, and all of those could never do the things WM5 could. A lot of people use it for 1-2 weeks and write it off and think that they've done everything to get it how they want it. I'm here to say that no, you probably haven't. WM5 DOES indeed have a sharp learning curve. But that is really due to the inherent customability of the OS. Once you REALLY learn WM5, you'll probably love it. Many users that switched say the same thing.
    Well, I'm willing to be proactive...
    Can you please recommend a site or sites where I could read up on the STEEP learning curve?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    I have so darn much money invested in really good applications. Chatter, CallRec, Datebk6, Splashphoto, Ptunes, WineGuide, MMplayer, Butler, PhoneTech, Zlauncher, Rbackup, etc. If I go to Window, I would miss too darn many of these....
    I agree aside from the investment in palm it is the fact I have gotten used to the apps. Until pocketpc has 2day, Initiate, quickswitch, Datebk6, splashmoney, nvbackup, etc. I will stay with palm. I would say the only area where ppc has palm beat is in the browser and the games.

My first organizer other than a sharp wizard I had was a windows ce machine an everex I believe. Then I switched to a palm Vx and have not looked back.

Last year I found a dirt cheap ipaq 1955 just to see if I like it enough to switch to the wm treo. I hated it and sold it in 2 weeks. Too much fluff not enough practicallity. Didn't like the GUI it is fine for a desktop pc but the efficient launching of apps with 2day with initiate and quickswitch beats anything I have seen on ppc. Not to mention the low res screen at 240.

I hope they don't discontinue palm or access doesn't bastardize the os too bad and they make sure it is backward compatible. I do hope the change the form factor it is getting old. Seeing the blackjack and blackberry pearl almost makes me want to switch to windows mobile based on looks alone. Although I could not stand not having a touch screen.
    Last edited by jayzee; 12/27/2006 at 08:55 AM.
    I still fail to see exactly why people are so excited about cinguliar's high speed hsdpa/umts service. It's so very extremely limited in coverage as to be almost non-existent.

If you live in the area of a city that is covered and don't plan on leaving that city and don't plan on going to the outskirts of that city, well then okay. But if you live anywhere else or go anywhere else.... well then you're in the EDGE area. The speed of edge is okay. But seriously... why do you even care if it does UMTS?

If you want high speed in very limited areas, you might as well wifi. Most big cities, you can find enough coverage between free public access points and subscription stuff. (and unprotected ones too).

Yes I know in the "future" cingular and t-mobile will light up a big 3g network. But in the "future" there will be developments in phones/pdas/palm

Buying technology now with the idea that it'll be useful down the road is just stupid, when you consider how prices drop and devices improve.

EVDO High-Speed vs. HSDPA/UMTS high speed on :
    (east coast of the US used as an example, but the the trend is nationwide)

http://www.drbuzzo.com/evdoedge.jpg
    Edit: Evdo Is Blue
    Edit: Apparently my map is a bit out of date. Apparently they now have 3g service over a little sliver of southern connecticut, mostly in the stamford area.

Also...my map implies that new york city is covered. It's not. Manhattan is covered and part of brooklyn. As well as Newark (why? I don't know. If you're in Newark, my advice would be to leave and go some place nice...like Baghdad).

However, to say "New York City" is covered would be an overstatement. The Bronx, Queens and most of Brooklyn as well as Staten island: Not Covered.

Oh look...looks like they got a little bitty piece of huntington covered.

Well damn. Looks like they even have the north of boston covered too. That's new. Although south area is "tentative early 2007"

Look..I don't mean to put them down. They're obviously expanding and will have more than extremely limited parts of a handful of cities covered in the future. Verizon was at this place three or four years ago.

I'm just sayin: I'm not going to buy technology for something that barely exists. (unless that is...I'm in one part of a city and never leave it)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer View Post
    UG.

I would like to echo this. The change is not merely going frm one platform to another. All your investment in Palm apps is lost, and the WM5 "equivilants" don't really compete. It would break my heart to not have Chatter, for example.
    This entire discussion is very helpful to me - because my 650 was dying, I had been holding out for the 750, then the 650 coughed twice and died, no 750 in side, so I got the discounted 680, which remarkably, Cingular promptly agreed to unlock (in five business days). But I do want the 3G nonetheless, and WOULD have prefered it on the (a) Palm OS. Thanks for the good explanations as to why this isn't currently possible. The one question raised, but not discussed, is screen resolution - I love good resolution, dislike poor. The Palm OS is, what? 320 x 320. The WM5 is 240 x 240. Those who have had both, could one of you tell me your impressions of the 240 x 240? Somewhere else I read, in any event, that "soon" that resolution in WMX will "double." Any news? Thank you all.
    In the Treo 650/700p/680 the resolution is doubled already, from 160x160 to 320x320. The 700wx/750 the resolution is 240x240, and has not been doubled yet. The doubled resolution is 480x480, and such a high density screen is likely to be quite expensive, therefore no-one expects to see such a device this year (2007).

Surur
    The two reasons I haven't switched from a GSM 650 to WM are the lower screen resolution and nothing comparable to Chatter. I might be able to live with 240 x 240, but not without Chatter. Is it really that expensive to double the resolution? Aren't there already WM PDAs with a higher resolution?
    My question was, do those of you who have been able to directly compare the Palm OS 320 x 320 in 650/680's with the WM5 240 x 240 in 7xx, have any direct impressions to share? On a computer monitor, I can easily understand the difference in sharpness (with the same OS...). But somewhere I read that 240 x 240 on a Palm xxx is not much different, to the "naked" eye, than 320 x 320. I can't so easily imagine it is not obvious, which is why I'm asking for some first hand impressions. I suspect my best bet is to stay with the 680 until Palm releases sometime different/better etc. with 3G than the 750.
    I have a Tungsten T5, a Treo 650 and my last toy, a Treo 750v, so I think I can bring you my two cents about resolution.

Obviously, 240x240 is lower than 320x320m so if you put both screens together you see the difference. But compared to other devices, this difference doesn't exists at all. T5 screen is much bigger than 650 is, but resolution is the same. The fact is that if you compare T5 and Treo 750 screens, they are close similar in visual perception.

For a small screen (like Treo 750's one) isn't a bad resolution at all.
    Newness Developments apps:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast