1.    #1  
    All,
    I am a longtime Palm Treo user--600, 650, 700P, but my hospital just "turned" off web access to our Outlook the day before Thanksgiving. I am now in mourning using a Treo 700P that no longer can retrieve my Outlook via Chatteremail. I am desperate for a solution...I have been scouring our forums for info and found some good stuff, but am trying to find some definitive answers to take back to the IT folks on Monday. We also have a BES and am being told by our hospital's IT folks that this is the only option for me to get my Outlook while on the go--a Blackberry! The problem is that Blackberry's do not have many medical programs available (I think only two--Sanford and Tarascon), especially the most important ones that I use daily in my practice. I am trying to find a Palm Treo or Windows PocketPC (NOT Smartphone edition--must have touchscreen!) that "officially" runs BB connect. My search of the main US carriers revealed only the Treo 650 on Cingular (I am not thrilled of going back to a device c 1/3 of the memory of my 700P--the main reason I switched was to get more MB for all my medical palm software).
    Lots of questions--sorrry--am a BB connect newb:
    1. Any other's out there besides the 650 on Cingular that officially run BB connect (my IT department refuses to allow me to connect via "unofficial"/"bootleg" software or Windows Mobile 5 activesync)?
    2. Pocket PC's? I did see some of you all are using BB Connect on the Treo 750 and 8525 on Cingular, but this seems to be via unofficial German BB connect software.
    3. Does Cingular plan to release BB Connect officially for these devices 750, 8525 (750 is still in Ebay land at this point and for $700--ouch!)? When??!!
    4. What about the Treo 680? Any official release planned? When??!!
    I may yet be able to convince the IT folks to let me use a "bootleg" version of BB connect on a 750, 8525, etc., but their 1st answer was "NO WAY"! Finally, they may give me a 7250 on Verizon (the officially approved Blackberry for the hospital).
    5. Does it matter if they are using Verizon to connect to the BES? I should still be able to get onto the hospital's BES from another carrier, right (ie-Cingular)?
    6. Am currently using a 700P on Sprint. Looks like no one has had any luck with BB connect on the 700P or 700WX--would be nice to stay c Sprint as I just inked a 2 yr deal on the 700P in May. Any reliable info on officially bringing BB connect to any non-RIM device on Sprint? Verizon?
    thanks SO MUCH in advance for helping c these questions!
    doug
    Why can't you retrieve Outlook via ChatterEmail? Have you tried?

Marc
  3.    #3  
    Hi Marc,
    Thanks for the reply. I love Chatteremail, but since the day before Thanksgiving, Chatter cannot login to my Outlook at work at more. No probs getting my AOL, but c Outlook, it just keeps trying to login--draining down the battery in the process. So I took the Outlook mailbox offline. Our IT folks announced that they were closing off the "backdoor" web access to our Outlook/BES server. It was supposed to not occur until Nov 30th, but was told they did it early in the 24th. Either way, they did not give any of the providers another alternative to get access to our Outlook outside of the hospital. I am up at UW in Seattle alot and so REALLY need to keep in touch with email at work. Any thoughts on how to get it going again? I was under the impression that with Chatter, it could only "push" Outlook if Outlook Web Access was available. Now that Uncle Sam has closed that door, I was told I was out of luck unless I get a Blackberry or another Smartphone that runs BB connect software. At work we can only log onto our computers by using a CAC card (common access card/ID card)--no more usernames/passwords.
    thanks,
    doug
    Couldn't you go with the 680 on Cingular? Is has more mem than the 650 and then go with BB Connect.

John
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    I'm in the same boat. My sense is this is an issue with the service providers - Sprint, Vzw, et al. Obviously, the application is working because it is out on Cingular so why not for all of us? I thought, however, that BBC was an official app for WM5 - is it not on the 700w/wx?

A question from the ignorant: how does IT know it's bootlegged? Can't you just install it and then have them provision your phone to the BES server?

good luck -

Carol
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the replies! I definitely am thinking 680 c bootlegged BB connect, but haven't seen anybody in the 680 forum post that it's working as advertised on the 650. It should, but hey, look at my 700P--doesn't exactly work as advertised! Our IT folks are pretty much kill joys, so I can see them looking up the phone on Cingular, seeing that it isn't officially on Cingular BB plans (yet?), and refusing to provision it. But going the bootleg route is definitely my backup plan. Keep the options coming...!
    D
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Couldn't you setup a server-side rule in Outlook to forward your hospital email to another IMAP email account? If you did that, you'd still be able to pick up emails using Chatter. The only downside is, your flags wouldn't sync (read, unread etc.)
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx View Post
    Couldn't you setup a server-side rule in Outlook to forward your hospital email to another IMAP email account? If you did that, you'd still be able to pick up emails using Chatter. The only downside is, your flags wouldn't sync (read, unread etc.)
    I bet the Army IT guys will love that suggestion!
    BB GoAmerica > BB Earthlink > Verizon Treo 600 > Sprint Treo 650 > Sprint Treo 700p > Sprint Treo 755p & Sprint MotoQ
  9.    #9  
    spiVeyx,
    Thanks for the suggestion, my boss was thinking along the same lines, but when I attempted it, an error box pops up stating that "Army Reg...cannot forward to a commercial email address...must end in us.army.mil or .gov". So I think that route will unfortunately not be possible. Will try to sweet talk my IT folks in the AM about letting me use a Treo c BB connect and see how it goes...wish me luck! Any other thoughts? I am still hoping someone who is using a new 680 on Cingular can comment on the usability of BB Connect on that device. I am assuming it works since it was recently released on the 650, but I prefer not to terminate my Sprint Contract, sell my only 6mo old 700p, and buy a Cingular 680 until I know for sure it does.
    thanks,
    Doug
  10.    #10  
    Well, BAD news on the Treo front. The Outlook Web Access loop was closed ARMY-wide on the 22nd, not just at my hospital. So according to my IT dept. it is gone forever, no exceptions. Worse yet, they are being quite firm on what can sync c an Army BES/exchange server. I was given a list of approved devices dated 8/06--it contained ONLY Blackberries--ouch! I was told that Treos (even the 650 on Cingular c official BB connect) were specifically not to be used, and they would not create an account on the BES for me/provision that phone or anything other than a Blackberry. The only bright spot is that my dept will buy me one. So much for convergence! Now I will have a govt. laptop, govt Blackberry, personal laptop and my 700p! (oh, and my pager too!!). I'm such a road warrior--NOT! Any last minute suggestions, before the Army Empire turns me to the Dark Side?
    thanks,
    Doug
    Doug,

That's unfortunate but there are sound reasons for locking out BlackBerry Connect devices... the BlackBerry connect client only supports 3DES encryption, not the more-secure AES algorithm. My own testing with a T650 and BB Connect indicates that there are some BES IT policies which the Treo ignores, like mandatory password enforcement. RIM-hardware BB devices, on the other hand, support AES and password enforcement, which makes them slightly more secure.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyDoc View Post
    The Outlook Web Access loop was closed ARMY-wide on the 22nd, not just at my hospital. So according to my IT dept. it is gone forever, no exceptions. Worse yet, they are being quite firm on what can sync c an Army BES/exchange server. I was given a list of approved devices dated 8/06--it contained ONLY Blackberries--ouch!
    This is actually pretty common - lots of companies have long had the same restriction. Simply put, the BES architecture is more secure than Exchange and obviously moreso than IMAP or POP. BES is the only architecture that can, for example, ensure end-to-end encryption in transmission and storage.

Your only solution is to use your Palm apps on one device, and your email on a BB.
  13. cvt
    I believe that if you get a device and put a BB connect on it, it will register your device on the network (and remove you blackberry) and your IT will be none the wiser. However, if you have asked about other devices and they said no and they find out...