View Poll Results: Any REAL difference between PPC and POS?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • They are night and day!

10 52.63%
  • The basic OS's have major differences.

7 36.84%
  • They are essentially the same.

2 10.53%
  1.    #1  
    I don't think so.

In your decision please EXCLUDE ideas such as:
    1) Palm has more apps.........
    2) WM is less one-handed....
    3) Palm launches faster.......
    4) WM is more stable..........
    5) Palm is easier to debug...
    6) I like palm aps better....

EDIT:To better explain my point.

For me Palm or PPC, it makes no difference. It doesn't change what I do with it and how I use it. I still operate one or the other in almost identical ways to achieve almost identical results. And the fact that there is essentially no difference between Palm and WM has been apparent to me now that I have had the opportunity to use both operating systems on identical devices, the wx and the p, and because the applications I use most are offered on both platforms.

A practical joking device fairy could tiptoe up to my desk daily to trade a p for a wx and I wouldn't know the difference. I would hit a few buttons and see the same Internet, hit 2 buttons and read the same email, hit 2 buttons and use the same dictionary,,,,, listen to the same music.... The only way that palm affects me in a different way is that I have to wait for web pages to load.

So, tell me.... Does it really matter.... does one or the other really change how you use it or better yet,,,,, the whole idea IS, does one or the other actually have a different impact on you.

Note to self: Start bogus poll to convince simple minded palm lovers to give up their "keep palm alive" dreams and allow us WM users to conquer all!!!
    Last edited by jamespaulritter; 11/26/2006 at 06:49 PM. Reason: for clarity
    Death to Microsoft. J/K
  3.    #3  
    Hello capitane,,,,,,

It seems like it is just another, "What ever your use to", things....
    I honestly like the WM5 task and calender apps better. Easier for me to deal with, for some reason. Most hate them, but they saved me from forgetting so many times! PIE also seems to be a better HTML browser than Blazer. 3G capability will become standard before we know it, and Palm OS can't do it.

I still wish they would release a new Palm OS version though. Wishful thinking, I know. But I can no longer deal with a stagnant OS.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    There is a difference in the two, however they are pretty close in being able to do the same things. If you will, the means to the end are different with each. This is changing somewhat as people are looking for similar abilities and see UI similarities as being a better sell.

Functionality = near similar but WM wins, the case of being able to use 3G, wifi with cellular, and multitasking of all apps being the difference there
    Usability = PalmOS wins if jusdging default OS versus default OS - by far the Treo series on both PalmOS and WM do better than any other devices today: the fewest amounts of steps/taps to an action
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    There's parts I love & hate about BOTH, honestly. Which is why I have both a Treo & an iPaq.

Palm OS- more customizable/hackable, user friendly, fast, higher-res screens. And you don't HAVE to sync to install stuff as long as you have an SD card & FileZ.

WM- multitasking, wifi, more native capabilities.

I find WM to NOT be more stable though. I had a PPC 6700 last year & that thing was the most unstable, unpredictable piece of crap I've ever had. And multitasking isn't always a bonus b/c in WM you have to go into the memory manager & manually shut down apps. PITA if you ask me. And it always seems to take more steps to do a very simple task on WM.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    WM may not be bad, but the 8125 made it suck. I really hope the 680 does what it says it will.. otherwise I'll have to start working some overtime for that 750.
    Quote Originally Posted by KabukiAssassin View Post
    There's parts I love & hate about BOTH, honestly. Which is why I have both a Treo & an iPaq.

Palm OS- more customizable/hackable, user friendly, fast, higher-res screens. And you don't HAVE to sync to install stuff as long as you have an SD card & FileZ.
    I don't have too much experience with Palm OS customizing, but from what I've seen, it seems to me that WM is actually more customizable and hackable than anything PalmOS has to offer. Just look at xda-developers, those guys chop up roms like it's nothing, add and remove stuff, and they hack in all kinds of things (AD2P on certain devives for example). I think it should make sense that there's a larger WM hacking community anyways because WM is ony many different devices from many different manufacturers all over the world, while PalmOS is mostly on Palm devices in the US.

And as long as you have the .cab file, you don't have to sync. Just put the .cab file somewhere (on device or on SD card) and then click on it to install.

WM- multitasking, wifi, more native capabilities.

I find WM to NOT be more stable though. I had a PPC 6700 last year & that thing was the most unstable, unpredictable piece of crap I've ever had. And multitasking isn't always a bonus b/c in WM you have to go into the memory manager & manually shut down apps. PITA if you ask me. And it always seems to take more steps to do a very simple task on WM.
    Can't speak about the 6700 (maybe you had a bad device?), but on the memory issue, I think it depends on what device you have and how much memory it has. I have an I-mate PDA2 (WM2003SE) with about 61MB of program memory, with about 50 of it usually available for use upon a reset. I've been using it for 2 months and have NEVER ran out of memory. The only reason I even close apps with the memory manager is if the app freezes (rarely happens) or if I just feel like closing it. My PDA2 is pretty stable, with the exception of my wifi not turning off sometimes.

Personally, I like both, but I don't think the PalmOS currently offers enough to make me want to switch. In the end, it's all about personal preference and which one works for you..
  9.    #9  
    Yes, I never needed to close an app on my 6700 either. It never ran out of memory, never slowed down. I only closed apps if I felt like it.

I didn't want to start a thread about which one is better. Just about the idea that they are only different in the details. The basics are identical..... I mean honestly. You hit a button and you have a screen full of icons. You tap an icon and you use a program.

To say they are different because WM is more customizable is silly. If I want to customize my wx I edit the registry or download a program from xda. If I want to customize the p I DL a program. I'm putting forth identical effort in identical ways to achieve identical results.

To say that WM is more difficult to use is silly. I just picked up my wx and 5 button presses got me to google. I picked up my wife's 650 and 4 button presses got me to google.

The only way I can see a difference between the 2 is that with palm I have to wait for blazer to load and with WM I tap PIE then go on to another application and come back to PIE in a minute and the page is loaded. Saves time.
    I think WM is more cumbersome to use if you don't install some type of launcher. After I installed Wisbar Lite, I was much happier. Digging through sub-menus isn't fun. I have enough of that on my computer and I wonder why MSFT didn't realize that people using a mobile OS may not want an exact duplication of what they get on their computers.

Also in your edited OP, yes if someone switched devices on me, I'd notice the difference immediately! My appointments and tasks won't appear on the Palm home screen(unless there's some app that fixes that). It's probably just me, but I still get more use out of WM than I ever did with Palm OS despite it being simpler.

One thing I do hate though is WM Smartphone. I used it for 3 months and it drove me up the wall!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by stl08 View Post
    WM may not be bad, but the 8125 made it suck. I really hope the 680 does what it says it will.. otherwise I'll have to start working some overtime for that 750.
    Installing some 3rd party apps can make WM easier to deal with. Of course, one could then say MSFT didn't get it right out of the box if you have to immediately modify the OS with apps! But then they never do actually, LOL!

I'd like to start by saying that Palm has more apps,
    WM is less one-handed, Palm launches faster, WM is more stable, Palm is easier to debug, I like palm aps better.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I'd like to start by saying that Palm has more apps,
    WM is less one-handed, Palm launches faster, WM is more stable, Palm is easier to debug, I like palm aps better.
    figured you'd say that!
    Surely there is a huge difference, to user who has gotten used to one of them. To new users I don't think there is much of a difference.