Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Wanted:

Crossbow (Windows Mobile 6.0 or whatever they call it)
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE quad-band (have it today)
    UMTS/HSDPA quad-band (to add Band IV, the 1700/2100 band T-Mobile licensed)
    Bluetooth 2.0 (mostly for A2DP for stereo bluetooth headphones)

...and, of course, WiFi 11b/11g (though I'm growing convinced Palm will NEVER include WiFi on any Treo)

Personally, I'm thinking of upgrading my ancient 600 to the 680 to stick with PalmOS and a the minimal transition that will be and continue to hold out for the next Treo (post 750v). The 750 offers the Windows Mobile experience I want to transition to but is only tri-band 3G (UMTS/HSDPA) of which T-Mobile is likely to NOT support.

Given I'm still with the 600, I guess I am rare on this site in being on the patient side... Perhaps I'm just cheap :-)
    I want SDHC and A2DP. If Palm can stuff it into the "Dead Man Walking" PalmOS 5.9.998, I will take it.

EVDO Rev A actually is not that important to me (I have found out I don't have time for mobile TV) but it would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by edmc View Post
    Wanted:

Crossbow (Windows Mobile 6.0 or whatever they call it)
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE quad-band (have it today)
    UMTS/HSDPA quad-band (to add Band IV, the 1700/2100 band T-Mobile licensed)
    Bluetooth 2.0 (mostly for A2DP for stereo bluetooth headphones)

...and, of course, WiFi 11b/11g (though I'm growing convinced Palm will NEVER include WiFi on any Treo)

Personally, I'm thinking of upgrading my ancient 600 to the 680 to stick with PalmOS and a the minimal transition that will be and continue to hold out for the next Treo (post 750v). The 750 offers the Windows Mobile experience I want to transition to but is only tri-band 3G (UMTS/HSDPA) of which T-Mobile is likely to NOT support.

Given I'm still with the 600, I guess I am rare on this site in being on the patient side... Perhaps I'm just cheap :-)
    Probably about two more years before that happens.

And I can pretty much guarantee you that the only devices supporting T-Mobile's 1700 band will be T-Mobile devices, and it just so happens that T-Mobile doesn't carry Treos, so I doubt we'll be seeing any Palm devices (or any non T-mobile branded devices) that support the 1700 band. I don't know if it would be worth Palm's time to implement 1700 band support when the majority of their GSM market wouldn't be able to use it. They may get some T-Mobile customers buying unlocked versions, but I don't think there'd be enough to make Palm want to implement 1700 support.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider T-Mobile's band a fourth band in the 3G band category because it's not universal or even widely used outside of T-Mobile. If you you have a device that only does UMTS/HSDPA on 1700/2100, and then you leave T-Mobile, how useful is that device?

Knowing Palm, by the time they have a BT 2.0 device, BT 3.0 will be out.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I'm skipping the whole 700 series and waiting for palm's next BIG upgrade. I'm thinking November 2007 will probably be the time for the next gen to arrive.

Hopefully this will be Hawkin's mystery device we've been speculating about, because I'm not interested in incremental enhancements anymore.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    I want SDHC and A2DP. If Palm can stuff it into the "Dead Man Walking" PalmOS 5.9.998, I will take it.

EVDO Rev A actually is not that important to me (I have found out I don't have time for mobile TV) but it would be nice.
    I will not buy another smartphone that does not include SDHC (unless it has gigs of internal storage).
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    After Palm's glorious ''four new devices'' year, the title of this thread really grabbed my attention. Asking a question like that gives the same feeling in my gut that I get when my favorite team loses the championship and the announcer says ''theres always next year''.
    Gosh, Palm is just downright sad these days.
    Glad I'm not an investor.
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    I'm skipping the whole 700 series and waiting for palm's next BIG upgrade. I'm thinking November 2007 will probably be the time for the next gen to arrive.

Hopefully this will be Hawkin's mystery device we've been speculating about, because I'm not interested in incremental enhancements anymore.

I BELIEVE IN THE 900P.

Palm/Linux OS . . . . . . . .(SDHC in this device is a must, or even this Palm Loyalist will start shaking his head.)

My $25 bet with dstrauss is for this device (whatever model # they assign it) to be out for sale by 02/29/08, however I am in agreement with your November 2007 prediction -- I was just giving my $25 some breathing room with the 08 date.

Cheers, Perry.
    Perry how did your 700P bet for a Starbucks card turn out? I forget.

Also can someone please tell me what SDHC is?
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Hi Hdhntr23!!

SDHC = SD Card High Capacity
    The new 4gb and 8gb SD cards are coming out in this format. Current Treos cannot handle the SDHC cards. SanDisk finally came out with their 4GB SD card -- but it is in this SDHC format -- guess my wait is over -- I will have to buy a different brand.

(I collected all 3 Starbucks cards.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    I BELIEVE IN THE 900P.

Palm/Linux OS . . . . . . . .(SDHC in this device is a must, or even this Palm Loyalist will start shaking his head.)

My $25 bet with dstrauss is for this device (whatever model # they assign it) to be out for sale by 02/29/08, however I am in agreement with your November 2007 prediction -- I was just giving my $25 some breathing room with the 08 date.

Cheers, Perry.

Im with ya, Perry! Make some room in your pocket for that $25!

Im wondering if we are going to see what might be called "High Definition" resolution on this new device - would be one of the best "consequences" of having high speed connectivity, if you will. ( and I will )
    I gotta have more cowbell
    What I don't understand is why Palm artificially limits itself. Its not a difficult thing to create a full feature phone like the ones that HTC have created and are continuing to create. Doesn't Palm see what the competion is doing? I am currently using a PPC6700, but I would drop it in a second if there were an equivalent Palm device available. My next phone will probably be the PPC6800, but I hope that Palm will my my decision very difficult by the time I am ready to upgrade.
    Last edited by jw68; 11/30/2006 at 01:08 PM. Reason: spell check
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Regarding the Treo 750 version to be released by Cingular:

Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Was told delayed until February today by two Cingular reps
    Perhaps we'll get lucky and this very delayed 750 will be something different than the model already shipping in the EMEA markets. Who knows, one can only hope for WiFi (unlikely) or, perhaps, a new radio chip (several choices available) which would support the US 3G frequencies more directly (most particularly Band IV 1700/2100 pair to be used by T-Mobile).

Barring such iterations, it is really hard to see why the 750 is taking so long to release in the US...
    Just a hunch, a really new Treo before the end of the calendar of Spring.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.