Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Here's a review on the new winmob 6.0 (supposedly claimed). Wonder if the next gen of Treo Win would get this one. Have a funny feeling that we'll have to wait for a very long time (again).

http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/art...ssbow-en.shtml
    If they ever get around to adding threaded SMS, WM will pretty much be the king of the hill!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    ALP is supposed to be near done (not gold but the step before that in dev/testing speak) by end of the calendar year. Would be in licensee;s hands in 1q and devices no earlier than Fall (if carrier testing goes well, I say that as no one has talked about doing a handheld that is not cellular with ALP).

Crossbow looks less of an upgrade outside of the Windows Live compoents than SE was for 2003. They do address compatability with Server/Office 2007 and that will be big since MS is really making a huge upgrade push this year.

I do wonder how well Photon will be a mobile version of Windows Live. Pulling that off would make dang near every other mobile OS look lagging. And while I know they are pretty far ahead in development of Photon, that wouldn't be a bad idea in terms of pushing the market (instead of following).

In that same vein (I know, another tangent), ALP is mainly an OS within a browser like platform (I believe). While also not a bad idea, I wonder how connected it will be to various online services (real and to come).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    My question is whether or not Palm will offer an OS upgrade to Crossbow for existing devices (perhaps the 700wx/750). After owning several of Palm's products, I find them to be terribly unfriendly towards OS upgrades that don't include buying a new handset.

But Crossbow will be on devices in just a few months, and I can't see Palm releasing any new products until next fall...so I can only hope that they'll feel pressured to release a Crossbow upgrade to their existing devices so that they don't feel left out of the Crossbow competition come this Spring. I also know that other company's existing WM5 devices will be upgradeable, depending on each carrier.
    I'm sure they could offer an upgrade if they want to, like some WM2003 devices were offered an upgrade to WM5.
    Does anyone have a cross bow theme? That would be nice until this is available.
    My hope is that Crossbow will finally allow for a 320X320 screen resolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Crossbow looks less of an upgrade outside of the Windows Live compoents than SE was for 2003.
    The Windows Live bit seems pretty minimal too. Mostly just some rebranding and a couple of Today plugins.

I do wonder how well Photon will be a mobile version of Windows Live. Pulling that off would make dang near every other mobile OS look lagging. And while I know they are pretty far ahead in development of Photon, that wouldn't be a bad idea in terms of pushing the market (instead of following).
    But for any user who would rather have Google (or Yahoo), couldn't the Windows Live integration be a disincentive to buy a Photon device? I know no one is compelled to use it but that feeling that you're not using the device as the designer intended and the device isn't integrated with what you'd prefer, that's not so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by jw68 View Post
    My hope is that Crossbow will finally allow for a 320X320 screen resolution.
    WM5 allows for 320x320 but it wasn't used - MS said so, I'd pull the link but just google/yahoo search what I typed before the dash.

But for any user who would rather have Google (or Yahoo), couldn't the Windows Live integration be a disincentive to buy a Photon device? I know no one is compelled to use it but that feeling that you're not using the device as the designer intended and the device isn't integrated with what you'd prefer, that's not so good.
    Not to sounds natchy, but if MS makes a product that works best with its other prodcuts that is their call. MS has not a responsibility to work well with Googles or Yahoo's services despite what the FCC and courts want you to think. Yes, there is a freedom of choice, but one should not knock a company for wanting to better its offerings by making the experience across its service a priority. Apple has done it, and there is little complaint - MS should have been better and earlier in doing it.

That being said, if MS makes a mobile OS that plugs equally well into any mobile-friendly service, its lights out for Symbian, Linux, and any other OS no matter how you cut that pie.

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    A nice video of Crossbow in action ...

http://mobilitytoday.com/news/crossb...eo_mobile.html
    Ericsson 688 : Phillips Genie Sport : Siemens S35i : Handspring Visor : Nokia 8310 : Nokia 6610 : Nokia N70 : [Vodaphone Treo 750v WM6 + 2GB Transcend miniSD]
    That entire video was of some guy changing sounds! C'mon, I want to see what it can do. Show me apps running, show me the device actually doing something.
    I don't see too much different in the video. Even the eye candy changes are pretty minimal.

FWIW: Microsoft has said that they will be offering an upgrade to the existing WM5 to allow compatibility with Office 2007 docs. Yeah ... that should be fun. Nothing like rolling out a gazillion ROM updates so folks can use the latest Word docs. (sigh)

Why is it again that we need a new file format?
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    On 11/22/2006 10:01 AM, Antoine of MMM wrote:
    ALP is supposed to be near done (not gold but the step before that in dev/testing speak) by end of the calendar year. Would be in licensee;s hands in 1q and devices no earlier than Fall (if carrier testing goes well, I say that as no one has talked about doing a handheld that is not cellular with ALP).
    Just curious if you know some developers or what your source for the above was. Also interested in learning how the end of the year milestone went if you have any inside sources.

thanks, -- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Per Access' news releases, it was supposed to be done end of year. The last news note said that it would not be done till Q1. If that is the case, it usually takes 9-12 months to get from out of dev's hands to getting into a testing unit that the carriers are playing with (pending there not being any issues).

16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I'll believe it when I see it.
    I'm using a leaked Crossbow of my HTC Universal now. I'll answer any questions I can, but not much has really changed.

Surur
    Of course ALP will require a new hardware purchase. But how awesome would it be if we could install it on our current Treos? Talk about something that would restore a lot of faith in Palm!
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I'm using a leaked Crossbow of my HTC Universal now. I'll answer any questions I can, but not much has really changed.

Surur
    Will that work on my PPC-6700?

Christ I want an HTC Universal. I really would love to see one of those updated and released to Sprint.
    Unfortunately not, but there is a new AKU 3.5 wandering around for your device however, which brings many of the crossbow improvements.

Surur