1.    #1  
    So we were tailgating last Saturday, and all huddled around a portable 6 in screen TV watching the Ohio State vs. Michigan game, when I started to ponder...

...could you combine a Treo 700wx, Slingbox, Slingplayer, a 32 in LCD TV, generator, and whatever else necessary, to watch a big screen TV in the back of your pickup?

Just from a geek factor, being able to say, "yeah I did it".
    Last edited by dannyboy22; 11/21/2006 at 12:23 PM.
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy22 View Post
    So we were tailgating last Saturday, and all huddled around a portable 6 in screen TV watching the Ohio State vs. Michigan game, when I started to ponder...

...could you combine a Treo 700wx, Slingbox, Slingplayer, a 32 in LCD TV, generator, and whatever else necessary, to watch a big screen TV in the back of your pickup?

Just from a geek factor, yeah I did it.
    I do this on the boat all the time. If we are sitting at the island a few miles from shore, I just BT DUN to my 700P with my lappy, login to orb, and I am watching any basic cable channels from my house. We have been doing this for about 8 months now. Works very well.
  3.    #3  
    I didn't consider using a laptop. Makes sense.

But what about for that big screen experience? Output the laptop to the big screen? That seems to make redundant the Treo (except as a modem).
    I don't think you can transfer enough pixels to fill a large screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    I don't think you can transfer enough pixels to fill a large screen.
    Not by a long, long shot...standard definition television is roughly 720 by 480 pixels. Your Treo is 320x320. At best you would get something your eyes could distinguish as a football game from a distance of fifty to a hundred feet away...which might give you an excuse to socialize with the cute co-eds across the parking lot, though they wouldn't be terribly interested in watching the pre-game on your 32" widescreen television...
    Last edited by Keefer Lucas; 11/21/2006 at 12:47 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    Not by a long, long shot...standard definition television is roughly 720 by 480 pixels. Your Treo is 320x320. At best you would get something your eyes could distinguish as a football game from a distance of fifty to a hundred feet away...which might give you an excuse to socialize with the cute co-eds across the parking lot, though they wouldn't be terribly interested in watching the pre-game on your 32" widescreen television...

Hold on a second here, the Slingplayer application can scale the video to support whatever fps/resolution is needed/supported. So I'm not saying duplicate a 240x240 (700wx) screen on a bigger screen.
    Clearly, people are getting adequate performance over broadband connections with their 15-21" desktop screens using Slingbox. I'm just thinking about using the Treo as a broadband modem to transfer the video. The question is what transfer speed/resolution I could get between the Treo and the output device (and how best to do it)?
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy22 View Post
    Hold on a second here, the Slingplayer application can scale the video to support whatever fps/resolution is needed/supported. So I'm not saying duplicate a 240x240 (700wx) screen on a bigger screen.
    Clearly, people are getting adequate performance over broadband connections with their 15-21" desktop screens using Slingbox. I'm just thinking about using the Treo as a broadband modem to transfer the video. The question is what transfer speed/resolution I could get between the Treo and the output device (and how best to do it)?
    Using the Treo as modem would be the choke point there. You can't shove enough pixels through there to make a full screeen image, unless you buffered it for 12 hours or so.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Using the Treo as modem would be the choke point there. You can't shove enough pixels through there to make a full screeen image, unless you buffered it for 12 hours or so.
    And right when the quarterback throws the ball for a touchdown, your Treo receives a phone call, cuts off your data, and nobody knows what happened.

Wait until you can get a 750 and UMTS in your area. Then you won't have to worry about that.