View Poll Results: How Do You "View" Your Treo?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • I consider it a PDA first, that has a phone.

18 18.18%
  • I consider it a Phone first, that has a PDA.

12 12.12%
  • Neither: I consider it a TREO.

69 69.70%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just wondering -- as I came to the Treo via the "PDA" path and I know that others have come to the Treo via the "Phone" path.

How do you view your Treo: A PDA w/ Phone. . . . . Phone w/ PDA . . . . . or neither: "It's a Treo!"

Cheers, Perry
    Like most here, I too was a long time Palm user. My first convergence of Palm / phone was a Palm IIIx connected to a Qualcomm "thin phone" via a Kyocera data cable. Once you get data there is no going back to a plain vanilla Palm. I moved forward with a Palm VII and then a Palm Vx connected to an OmniSky modem.

When the Treo 300 came out I knew I had to have one and have relied on one form of Sprint Treo ever since. Treo 300, 600, 650 and now 700p. I have never had a lemon, never had to do a warranty swap because the phone was defective. Threre are a few here on TC that b&c about Treo and the Palm OS. I dont. It does what I need when I need to do it and I am confidant the Palm OS, in one form or another, will be around for a long time to come.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
  3.    #3  
    I know what you mean -- by once you have data -- you can never go back. My last PDA was a Tungsten T3 tied to a Bluetooth phone for Internet access.

Interesting -- the "phone-centric" crowd must not visit TC in the morning . . . . . 7 votes so far and none for a phone-first viewpoint. Or maybe, it is that phone-centric users do not buy Treos.

Cheers, Perry.
    PHONE/PDA...anything else on the notebook and I am a member of TC and I am on my second Treo Perry...lol. I use my Treo as far as the PDA side moderately and heavy at times but not often when it comes to work.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I went from a T5 to 650 to 700p. I am in the PDA with a phone category since I am not exactly sure what the "I consider it a Treo" category would include.
    Legalbeagle
    I have a T600 and I definitely think of it as a phone first. I'm not a big time power user. I use the calendar some. I use the internet and SMS heavily. But I run zero third party apps, take pictures rarely, play games some. But I definitely think of it as my cellphone, although I'm not shy to brag about its other capabilities (even the ones I'm not using ).
    The PDA functions are first. The phone increases its usefulness. The absolute best? Being able to be on the phone yapping with someone and check the calendar or task list or look at text messages all while talking. When I'm on the phone and someone says, "What's Fred's phone number?" or "Can we meet on Thursday at 11:00 a.m.?" I can handle it right then and there.

I worship at the altar of the Almighty Treo.
    For me it is just a Treo. I came from a Tungsten E2 that I only used as a PDA. For me the Treo is so much more then just a PDA or just a Phone.
    Treo 750v ---> Now Sold.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mesplin@earthli View Post
    I went from a T5 to 650 to 700p. I am in the PDA with a phone category since I am not exactly sure what the "I consider it a Treo" category would include.
    Those that view the Treo as a totally unique device where it's uniqueness or overall ability is the first thought -- not whether it be phone or pda.

I profess that I fall halfway between the pda1st/phone2nd and the Treo camps. I came from the PDA side and the addition of phone and Internet made it the perfect device. But it is no longer my "PDA" or my "Phone" it is my TREO: My Digital (PDA, Phone, Email, Internet, iPod, Camera, Calculator, Reference Book, Check Book, Alarm Clock, NotePad, . . . . et cetera. . . .) Swiss Army Knife.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Those that view the Treo as a totally unique device where it's uniqueness or overall ability is the first thought -- not whether it be phone or pda.

I profess that I fall halfway between the pda1st/phone2nd and the Treo camps. I came from the PDA side and the addition of phone and Internet made it the perfect device. But it is no longer my "PDA" or my "Phone" it is my TREO: My Digital (PDA, Phone, Email, Internet, iPod, Camera, Calculator, Reference Book, Check Book, Alarm Clock, NotePad, . . . . et cetera. . . .) Swiss Army Knife.
    Under that definition I would probably more correctly be in the Treo camp. I do enjoy the unique apps that strickly PDA/phones don't have such as music, tv, navigation, etc.
    Legalbeagle
    it was a phone for me that also did email and had all of my Outlook info sync'ed (that was one of the main reasons I got - to have all of my Outlook on it and a keyboard for emails - no T9!). I like web access, but I don't use it that much. Now, I have really started leaning towards the "it's just a Treo" side. One thing's for sure, after 6 months with it now, it is hard for me to imagine ever going back to just a cell phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by mesplin@earthli View Post
    Under that definition I would probably more correctly be in the Treo camp. I do enjoy the unique apps that strickly PDA/phones don't have such as music, tv, navigation, etc.
    I second that...as being under the Treo camp. I have only twenty 3rd party apps installed on my 700, but I weighed it out as a phone first before because I talk alot on it as a phone and then I use it as a PDA. IMO, I think it is good as a phone.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I based my vote on looks and strengths. IMO, it lacks the robustness of a pda and since it has an antenna (for now), it looks like a phone.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    treo.. although i came to it via the pda path. I actually also had the Visor phone though, so it's been a while and I obviously thought it was the right path for the visor/treo's to go.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    It all started as a pda for me. Then it has progressed into a phone and now it is a monster that can not be controlled. I use mine heavily as phone and pda. There are days the extended battery doesn't last me the business day........... PDA? PHONE? Definitely a TREO!!!!
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    I think of my Treo 650 as a PC in my pocket.
    Many of us did the PDA and phone and then to Treo move because thats all there was. I used a PalmVX and a cell phone then a Tungsten and a cell and hated having to schlep two devices around. Once the 650 was out, that was it for me. I have to say I did like using Graffiti, I could enter information really quickly.
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
    I voted "Treo". If I had to choose between Phone vs PDA, I definitely use more as a PDA. I got into treos because they were a "PDA with a data connection" which I saw as important way back in the Sprint equivalent of the Visorphone days. I use/view the pda/phone integration as important. I want to have a rich view of my contact info, and to be able to take notes/log some calls, and when I do that, I want it all in one place. I probably remain a potental candidate for a separated phone/pda provided the integration between the two was still there (but I'd need a compelling advantage to using that separate PDA (like the bigger screen). I actually like having the two integrated, and I appreciate the beauty of the two converged. One thing that might bring me to separate devices would be if the data plan's cost were jacked up and wifi continued to be unavailable. Then I'd go with most likeky a TX/Wifi and a bluetooth phone and let software integrate the two.

-- Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    ...Interesting -- the "phone-centric" crowd must not visit TC in the morning . . . . .
    They must be busy getting all their phone calls in while the day is young!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    "It's not a phone, it's a Treo."

Another type of experience altogether; wicked cool.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast