Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Honestly I'd still be totally happy with the Treo 650 or a 3G PalmOS upgrade to the 650 if I could get a darn web browser to work on it.
    Blazer is very inefficient and buggy. Xiino has become unreliable. Webviewer has been discontinued a long time now. And Java on the Palm OS is very unstable, so Opera Mini eventually hangs or crashes it.
    Blazer is upgraded on the 700p and Treo 680, so I hear it's much better. But I'd still take any of the many browsers available on WM5 over Blazer.
    I find I use OperaMini the most because it's basically very fast and efficient the way it scrunches pages. It worked the best on the 8525 (WM5) which i attribute to more available memory, works well on the Treo 650 for a few mins until it crashes. It's reliable on my Blackberry, but the BB is slow.

But Chatter and SnapperMail are both better than Outlook on WM5. And there are no better 3rd party email programs for WM5 except 1, and there are issues with it (which will hopefully be improved over time.)

I do appreciate the mult-taking ability in WM5. Something I get on the blackberry and WM5 (a task manager.) Going back to Palm OS it's a little frustrating that I can't go to another program without shutting down the program I'm in (unless that program is designed to go in to background operaiton.) I don't find WM5 to be unintuitive, although there is a learning curve admittedly. It's just so much more powerful.

But besides streaming radio and Slingbox, and web browsing, my Treo 650 actually does everything I need it to do and better in most cases. Had I never gone to the 8525 and learned to adopt WM5 as my new OS, I'd have been very happy sticking with PalmOS if it did what I wanted. Since PalmOS can't support Cingular's 3G, that pretty much did it for me. I'm getting the 750 when it's out and I won't look back. I can't imagine over time that PalmOS will improve more than WM will improve.

That being said. Once I went to WM5 and got used ot it, I don't really want to go back. HSDPA was pretty reliable for me on the 8525, but I'm sure Verizon's is more reliable seeing as it's had more time to mature.

The main reason I stick with Cingular is cost. It's significantly cheaper for me to have two PDAs on Cingular than Verizon.

If the next PalmOS treo is to include WiMax, then it sounds like it'll be a Sprint phone since Sprint is the one (cel phone carrier) building out WiMax.
    Last edited by taylorh; 12/18/2006 at 01:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    I would go back to Verizon in a heatbeat but I can't get excited about any devices they currently have. If I could fix the bluetooth problems with my car and the 750v I would certainly stay with it and tough out the Cingular data problems. As it is I'm undecided what to do for me. For you, it depends on your priorities and needs.
    I know this is heresy here at treocentral, but would you consider Verizon's Motorola Q running WM5? I'm thinking out of the box myself, and the price tag is attractive at roughly $150 with discounts, cheeper with new activation. Mark/Space seems to support it as well, though there may be a few complications with bluetooth pairing with open data connections it looks like.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulfrg View Post
    I know this is heresy here at treocentral, but would you consider Verizon's Motorola Q running WM5? I'm thinking out of the box myself, and the price tag is attractive at roughly $150 with discounts, cheeper with new activation. Mark/Space seems to support it as well, though there may be a few complications with bluetooth pairing with open data connections it looks like.
    How does that compare to the TreoCentral Store price for a 680? Rather badly i would say. The max price is $49.98

http://store.treocentral.com/content...2-info.htm.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    Honestly I'd still be totally happy with the Treo 650 or a 3G PalmOS upgrade to the 650 if I could get a darn web browser to work on it.
    Blazer is very inefficient and buggy. Xiino has become unreliable. Webviewer has been discontinued a long time now. And Java on the Palm OS is very unstable, so Opera Mini eventually hangs or crashes it.
    Blazer is upgraded on the 700p and Treo 680, so I hear it's much better. But I'd still take any of the many browsers available on WM5 over Blazer.
    I find I use OperaMini the most because it's basically very fast and efficient the way it scrunches pages. It worked the best on the 8525 (WM5) which i attribute to more available memory, works well on the Treo 650 for a few mins until it crashes. It's reliable on my Blackberry, but the BB is slow.

But Chatter and SnapperMail are both better than Outlook on WM5. And there are no better 3rd party email programs for WM5 except 1, and there are issues with it (which will hopefully be improved over time.)

I do appreciate the mult-taking ability in WM5. Something I get on the blackberry and WM5 (a task manager.) Going back to Palm OS it's a little frustrating that I can't go to another program without shutting down the program I'm in (unless that program is designed to go in to background operaiton.) I don't find WM5 to be unintuitive, although there is a learning curve admittedly. It's just so much more powerful.

But besides streaming radio and Slingbox, and web browsing, my Treo 650 actually does everything I need it to do and better in most cases. Had I never gone to the 8525 and learned to adopt WM5 as my new OS, I'd have been very happy sticking with PalmOS if it did what I wanted. Since PalmOS can't support Cingular's 3G, that pretty much did it for me. I'm getting the 750 when it's out and I won't look back. I can't imagine over time that PalmOS will improve more than WM will improve.

That being said. Once I went to WM5 and got used ot it, I don't really want to go back. HSDPA was pretty reliable for me on the 8525, but I'm sure Verizon's is more reliable seeing as it's had more time to mature.

The main reason I stick with Cingular is cost. It's significantly cheaper for me to have two PDAs on Cingular than Verizon.

If the next PalmOS treo is to include WiMax, then it sounds like it'll be a Sprint phone since Sprint is the one (cel phone carrier) building out WiMax.

Blazer not working for ya? I have a 700p, having upgraded from the 650. Blazer always worked great on the 650. Obviously it's faster on the 700p and it's a slightly newer version.. But I never had any issues at all with blazer being unstable or anything on the 650.

Opera is going to tend to be slower/crashier because it's java bitecode. It's not actually an executable program. If the opera folks could just compile the damn thing for palmOS native, then it'd work much better.

Java stuff is always going to have a disadvantage over binaries, but that having been said, Palm relies on the IBM websphere runtime thingy...which is not very good as far as JVM's go.
    As long as Blue tooth operates as it should, reliably and correctly, I might buy one. At the moment my 650 is little better than a glorified paperweight, whilst all around me are phones that can voice dial through TomTom and other BlueTooth Compliant devices... But not my 650 (semi) compliant... Piece of 5hit.....
    I don't give a crap what they do, I'm not buying another Treo until it has either Linux or Symbian, or Cobalt as an OS. I detest Windows Mobile, and the Palm OS is simply too unstable. So until they give me one of my 3 choices,

I

DON'T

CARE

They can keep patching that crapwad Garnet all they want - a turd with band-aids is still a turd.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.....

"....a turd with band-aids is still a turd..."

Fantastic Imagery... LOVE IT....
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Garnet should have gone the way of the turd by now ..... down the toilet.

We've been long overdue for either a cobalt or linux treo. This current "os" crashes far too often.
    I gotta have more cowbell
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234