Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Unless they upgrade the PalmOS, I don't see a need for any PalmOS phones beyond the 680. With the push for 3g data speeds with simultaneous voice, the current PalmOS cannot deliver.
    The demand for 3G is from the carriers side, not the consumers side believe it or not. Until an app can come that consumer will want that literally requires the speed and functionality of a 3G connection, it will sit as an item for us fringe users and media analysts to harp on moreso than anyone else.

That is not to say that Palm would't pull off something in the summer of next year that is PalmOS-ish and delievers; but my bets are more on another WM Treo that delivers, and maybe a PalmOS one that comes close but not quite it (lest it really does go WindRiver/ALP and Palm doesn't get bought out).

May I also wish Perry a nice return to TC, its good seeing you in the place.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    If you want one device for phone, email, internet, and occassional laptop use, then 3G make a lot of sense. That high speed data access I think is and will be increasingly important for business users and techophiles. So I wouldn't say there is no demand from the consumer side unless you mean the broad market consumers.

Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    The demand for 3G is from the carriers side, not the consumers side believe it or not. Until an app can come that consumer will want that literally requires the speed and functionality of a 3G connection, it will sit as an item for us fringe users and media analysts to harp on moreso than anyone else.

That is not to say that Palm would't pull off something in the summer of next year that is PalmOS-ish and delievers; but my bets are more on another WM Treo that delivers, and maybe a PalmOS one that comes close but not quite it (lest it really does go WindRiver/ALP and Palm doesn't get bought out).

Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Ah, sorry I thought you were saying that the Palm OS could handle voice and data together. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by laurenke View Post
    I know; that's what I was saying. Palm OS can do EVDO Rev. 0 but not Rev. A. Sorry you misunderstood me.
    'Tis ok!
    Quote Originally Posted by ion++ View Post
    Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    They will keep making 650 "Special Editions" will into 2009.
    The first one will ship shortly and be called 680
    Actually I was trying to type "680" in the original post. But my Freudian finger sliped.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    If you want one device for phone, email, internet, and occassional laptop use, then 3G make a lot of sense. That high speed data access I think is and will be increasingly important for business users and techophiles. So I wouldn't say there is no demand from the consumer side unless you mean the broad market consumers.
    Ditto. I would LOVE faster web browsing on my Treo 650. I'm currently looking for a phone and OS that I can live with to get the faster speeds.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser View Post
    Ditto. I would LOVE faster web browsing on my Treo 650. I'm currently looking for a phone and OS that I can live with to get the faster speeds.
    The only good thing that I can find about the 680 is that Blazer is faster.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    honestly, there's absolutely no cost - effective reason to buy a 680 if you already have a 650.

if you're looking for your FIRST treo, then its a go. but otherwise, this is not an upgrade candidate by any means, unless you just don't mind donating an extra $199 to palm for very small changes in your treo experience.

the 680 actually sets you back in battery life - that's a critical feature for a treo user - why pay to lose talk time? lol.

no antenna - big deal.

form factor has been changed on a near microscopic level (3mm thinner?) - really folks - big freaking deal.

blazer is faster but still runs on cdma - not evdo.

the 680 offers nothing at all to warrent an upgrade from a 650.

I'd say be patient and save your dough for a legitimate successor to your 650.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    .......blazer is faster but still runs on cdma - not evdo........
    (While I agree with your overall analysis, Blazer/680 runs on GSM/EDGE, not CDMA, not EVDO, not UMTS, not any other kind of broadband.)

Battery life on the 680 is so bad as to make it almost unusable. It goes from full charge to half mast overnight with the phone off. If one wants to leave home or the car, one must carry a pocket full of batteries. The only way to charge these is in the phone. (Seidio are you listening?)

On the other hand, those of us who are waiting for POS/UMTS are likely to wait a very long time.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    ideally, I would like my next upgrade to run on the next generation palm os too, but if hawkins' major device happens to run on windows or alp, Ill probably give it a shot.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    honestly, there's absolutely no cost - effective reason to buy a 680 if you already have a 650.

if you're looking for your FIRST treo, then its a go. but otherwise, this is not an upgrade candidate by any means, unless you just don't mind donating an extra $199 to palm for very small changes in your treo experience.

the 680 actually sets you back in battery life - that's a critical feature for a treo user - why pay to lose talk time? lol.

no antenna - big deal.

form factor has been changed on a near microscopic level (3mm thinner?) - really folks - big freaking deal.

blazer is faster but still runs on cdma - not evdo.

the 680 offers nothing at all to warrent an upgrade from a 650.

I'd say be patient and save your dough for a legitimate successor to your 650.
    I've lived with the 680 for the past 3+ weeks; I don't agree even noting similar negatives that you do
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    ....... the 680 offers nothing at all to warrant an upgrade from a 650.
    If you are a Power user, then the extra memory makes all the different !!

Twice the DB Cache and twice the Heap memory, should stop most of the memory related crashes.

So for the memory alone this have everything to offer as an upgrade form a 650.

I remember when the 650 came out. Everyone was slating it then compared to the 600, they were all returning their new 650's back for their 600's.

Now the same people are returning their new 680's for their "Great" 650's
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    I hope everyone can come to their senses and returned those 'DEFECTIVE' Treos. Maybe then Palm will come to their senses and make better quality phones.
    I really want a 3G Treo running PalmOS--the 750 doesn't do a thing for me. Will it arrive?

I'm considering moving from Verizon to an unlocked 680 to use with Cingular and travel in India and Europe. I can't stand Windows Mobile, have to have PalmOS. Anyone have any "reliable" (such a thing?) rumors about whether Palm is going to follow up the 750 with a 3G PalmOS devise any time soon, like in the first half of 2007? I agree with previous posters that if they don't, they're going to loose whatever niche they have. But will they every bring it to the market? And, what the *beep* are they waiting for?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post

I'd love a 3G running PalmOS. 750 does nothing for me--can't stand Windows Mobile (plus I am a Mac user, and though Mark Space/Missing sync will sync to Windows Mobile, I don't want to go there). Any rumors about a 3G PalmOS devise in 2007?
    Missing Sync for Windows Mobile 3.0 is actually better than their Palm OS version now in my opinion. It preserves everything for contacts (including ringtones) and has lots of nice little touches. The iTunes conduit for example not only only copies over the songs, but creates WMP playlists based on any playlists you chose to sync. The Palm OS copies files but doesn't create any playlists.
    bcaslis, this is very interesting, in fact great to hear that Missing Sync to Windows Mobile is more than just functional--this was one primary concern about a WM OS device, though I've been wedded to PalmOS and their desktop software for Mac for years.

I have tested conduits from iCal and Address Book syncing in the past and things did not go smoothly, though that was before I moved to MacOS 10.4, and was using iSync's previously buggy conduits in 10.3.

I guess the root of my concern is that I'm just deeply hesitant to move to a Microsoft OS, in addition to the fact that a friend has mentioned that on his Windows Moblie device (purchased Dec. 06, version?) to-do's are not categorizable. This would be a huge drawback for me, if true. Is this true in WM v.3? How do you feel about the windows mobile interface in comparison to PalmOS 5.4, since I see you run both, and presumably a Mac as well, since you're well versed in Missing Sync?

Thanks for you thoughts, I appreciate them! I'm in a jam with an old Verizon Motorola v710 which is dying on me, and am wondering whether it's the moment to make a move and unify the phone, PDA, and music player in a Treo, either the 700p from Verizon or make a switch to Cingular/unlocked GSM and jump on the 680 or now with your thoughts, maybe wait for the 3G 750. -- Jeremy
    I believe that the task by default do not have categories. In general the PIM apps stink except for Contacts which I have learned to like alot more than the Palm OS version. All of the third party WM5 PIM apps were way too bloated to bother with and difficult to use. However, just recently Developer One released Agenda One. I think it's by far the best PIM app for WM5. It's different than the Palm OS apps but in general I think it's as good or better with the exception it is a little slower and takes a few more clicks sometimes. But it works very well one-handed. Without Missing Sync 3.0 and Agenda One I would have given up on the 750v by now, but with them the PIM experience is good enough. And yes, in Agenda One you can assign tasks to categories. One task can even be put into multiple categories if you want and you can assign colors to categories if you want.

The WM5 interface is simply not as fast, not as intuitive as Palm OS. However with the Palm enhancements and a few good third party apps, it can be good enough. I have Agenda One for PIM stuff, SplashID and SplashPhoto, Ebook reader (formerly Peanut Press), and pTravelClock (for morning wakeup alarms). Sprite Backup is included on the CD and works better than most Palm OS backup apps in that it will do a full restore. On all the Palm OS apps I've tried after a full restore you need to go back and redo all your bluetooth pairing. This works fine with Sprite. The only issue I have with Sprite is that automated backups put it into a suspended state afterwards. Until you manually wakeup the Treo alarms don't work in the suspended state.

I really have only remaining problems but they are big ones to me and may prevent me from staying with the 750v. One is that the Microsoft bluetooth stack seems to be incompatible or buggy with my car's bluetooth. I get lots of locks/problems when paired with it. The other issue is that Cingular's UMTS just doesn't seem as reliable or good as Verizon's data network. I REALLY miss the Verizon data speed and reliablity. It always just worked and the Cingular one often takes multiple tries to get working. However I left Verizon partly due to dissatisfaction with the Treo 700p. I grew very tired of the lags that device has and occassional bluetooth problems.

I've also tried the 680 and to be honest I'm very unimpressed with it. I'm almost certainly going to be returning it. The bluetooth on it works very well with my car, but the voice quality is sub-par, the 750v is an excellent phone, the 680 very poor in my opinion. Also I just can't go back to EDGE data speeds full time.

So basically it depends on what is important to you. I would go back to Verizon in a heatbeat but I can't get excited about any devices they currently have. If I could fix the bluetooth problems with my car and the 750v I would certainly stay with it and tough out the Cingular data problems. As it is I'm undecided what to do for me. For you, it depends on your priorities and needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulfrg View Post
    I really want a 3G Treo running PalmOS--the 750 doesn't do a thing for me. Will it arrive?

I'm considering moving from Verizon to an unlocked 680 to use with Cingular and travel in India and Europe. I can't stand Windows Mobile, have to have PalmOS. Anyone have any "reliable" (such a thing?) rumors about whether Palm is going to follow up the 750 with a 3G PalmOS devise any time soon, like in the first half of 2007? I agree with previous posters that if they don't, they're going to loose whatever niche they have. But will they every bring it to the market? And, what the *beep* are they waiting for?!?!
    Get a 650. You do not want to travel on a 680 battery.
    Your thorough comments, bcaslis, are really helpful. I found some of your other detailed information in the Future Treo folder as well, and both have given me fodder for a pause and more consideration. I might have it in me to wait it out and see if Palm steps up with a new OS in the next six months. Other than that, it seems like I would probably be better off sticking with Verizon and the 700p and getting cheep GSM phone for international use and take my T/X. I guess we just can't have it all. But I will go check out a 750 whenever it arrives in the US. Thanks again for taking the time to really give me a feel for the comparison. Super helpful. Thanks whmurray as well. -Jeremy
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast