Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a 600 - looking to upgrade (finally). I have to be on Cingular, and want to stick with POS.

So - should I spend more $$$ (probably around $200) on a new 680 or get a 650 for $20 from Amazon?
    Hard to say until we get the feedback from new users of the 680. Or here's a thought. Go get the 680 yourself and run it hard for the 30 day (if you're in California) trial period and see whether you like it.

I have the 650 and I have to say that at $20 it is an irresistable bargain.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Just for comparison, would you buy a PlayStation 1 at an irresistable $20 bargain? Or would you rather buy the PS2 for $129?

Personally I'd choose neither. I'll buy the PS3 (T750) when it comes out
    One more ROM update (to fix a few things like BT) and T650 should be a great product at the price.

I like my Treo. If 680 doesn't add A2DP, then what good is it (other than more RAM)?

Buy the T650 and wait for the next POS GSM product which will support faster networks.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I have a sneaky feeling that the 650 will get no more ROM updates.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I think the Amazon deal is only for new customers who are not on cingular.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    I think the Amazon deal is only for new customers who are not on cingular.
    You are right - but I qualify for it (my 600 is Sprint)
    I would go for the 650 (I did back in March knowing full well that the 700p was coming). No more ROM updates are coming (why would there be??), but it is a step up from where you are and will probably last you another year until a lot of problems get sorted out and new ones hit the market. IMO, there are only going to be more choices for us moving forward. It's gonna be a competitive market for PDAs.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    If you wait until 680 is actually released, then the 650 price should drop, then pickup a 650 for cheap, and wait 6-12 months then geting a 680 cheaper.
    I'd get the 650 now. The price is good and the device is stable. Who knows what frustrations the 680 owners will have? It is a real pain to pay big bucks to get the latest thing only to find it is buggy and updates are slow coming.

I don't see the 680 as much of an improvement. I've always had at least 10 MB of spare memory, anyhow.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgreen View Post
    I have a 600 - looking to upgrade (finally). I have to be on Cingular, and want to stick with POS.

So - should I spend more $$$ (probably around $200) on a new 680 or get a 650 for $20 from Amazon?
    At those prices, 650.
    $20 is for an almost 3 year old phone. Even if the price is good, do you really want to get a 3 year old phone for 2007? Unless you really want to go with savings over technology, if you are willing to do the 2 year data contract, I'd go for the 680 at $199. The 680 is still backwards but at least it has some updates over the 650. Why go even more backwards?

BT 1.2 over 1.1. Also double the memory. Pocket Tunes included(everyone always wants this). Some tweaks(I don't know what though) to Palm OS at 5.4.9. As others are saying, it's not too exciting over the 650, BUT since BT 1.1 is practically obsolete and the extra memory will help avoid crashing, if you really have to buy a new Palm OS phone, the 680.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by stl08 View Post
    Just for comparison, would you buy a PlayStation 1 at an irresistable $20 bargain? Or would you rather buy the PS2 for $129?

Personally I'd choose neither. I'll buy the PS3 (T750) when it comes out
    Personally, I'm with you! The technology is so backwards on both phones, I cannot buy another Palm OS phone until they update both the technology and the OS. But for the OP who must use Palm OS, the 680 is the lesser of 2 evils.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Personally, I'm with you! The technology is so backwards on both phones, I cannot buy another Palm OS phone until they update both the technology and the OS. But for the OP who must use Palm OS, the 680 is the lesser of 2 evils.
    Diva, it reads to me like you are trying to convince yourself over what you intend to do in any case. The 650 is available now; the 680 may become available in the future. The 650 is known to be a quality product; we do not know much more about the 680 than its specs and cosmetics. The price of the 650 is set by the market; we speculate about the price of the 680 but we know that Palm will maniputlate it. We know enough about Palm to know that we should never wait for them. Silly Season goes on.

Perry, where are you?
    I just about dumped the Palm OS. I have no need to convince myself over anything Palm OS related. I will not be buying the 680 because I would want the unlocked. If Palm wants $600 or more(and I suspect they might), there are other more advanced phones in the same price range, so no thanks.

The 650 may be available but it's now old. Although like I said, if cost matters more, then it may be no big deal to the OP. We know the 680 will be out(if there are dummy models at Cingular, it's coming) and that it's got minor updates over the 650, but enough to make the 680 what the 650 should have been. BT 1.2 connects better with more headsets, from what I have seen. And more memory, who can argue that you don't need that?

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I just about dumped the Palm OS. I have no need to convince myself over anything Palm OS related. I will not be buying the 680 because I would want the unlocked. If Palm wants $600 or more(and I suspect they might), there are other more advanced phones in the same price range, so no thanks.

The 650 may be available but it's now old. Although like I said, if cost matters more, then it may be no big deal to the OP. We know the 680 will be out(if there are dummy models at Cingular, it's coming) and that it's got minor updates over the 650, but enough to make the 680 what the 650 should have been. BT 1.2 connects better with more headsets, from what I have seen. And more memory, who can argue that you don't need that?
    Dealing with Palm is a like a bad marriage.
    If you really want a knowledgeable answer, you'll have to wait until the 680 has been out for a while and see how well it really works, what kinds of problems people have with the device and software compatibility, etc.

Based on what I've read so far, though, I'd be hard pressed to pay extra for the 680. Regardless of how obsolete the POS is or isn't, it doesn't appear there are any real changes from the 650 to the 680. The 650 won't be obsolete any sooner than the 680. The extra memory in the 680 will be a plus, unless it makes I/O as slow as it is on the 700p. But I found using ZLauncher to put apps on the SD card worked just fine on my 650, so I wouldn't pay a big premium for the extra RAM.

A lot of utility apps will probably need to be tweaked for the 680, so there will be period when you'll have to do without, or put up with stability issues cased my minor incompatibilities between the device and the software. No such problems with the 650. And all the tricks and tweaks necessary on the 650 are well known and well documented.

External antenna? Doesn't matter to me. Battery? The 650's is bigger so will probably last longer. SD cards are cheaper than mini-SD.

For $20, the 650 is a heck of a deal. It's probably what I would choose in your shoes. But I might wait to see how big a deal the revamped phone/contacts app on the 680 is.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    In the specs, the 680 battery will run out faster, so extended batteries will be a necessity. However, the 680 is supposed to use full size SD cards.

I have to say that I thought more RAM is good to power apps, even if they are on the card. And what's your take on the updated BT? BT 1.2 is the new lower end standard. That's like the minimum you need to connect to the newer headsets without problems, isn't it?

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Dealing with Palm is a like a bad marriage.
    Except getting a divorce (from Palm) is easier ;-)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast