Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ion++ View Post
    Except getting a divorce (from Palm) is easier ;-)
    Not. We have to stay together for the children.
    Except getting a divorce (from Palm) is easier ;-)
    No its not!!!!
    I cant get new lady (WM5) to do many simple things that my wife (POS) did for me so many years. Its hard to replace it (atleast for me).
    On the topic...I think 680 is same as 650 with added memory and tweaked interface. I think you can still use AudioGateway (A2DP) on 680 and use enfora sled for wifi (useless I should say so myself).
    But among 650 and 680, I still want 680 if Palm keep everything same (as 650) and just add memory.
    All Palm users now already accepted that there wont be wifi, UMTS and A2DP (other than "BluetoothAudiogateway") on Palm OS based treo. So we all have to play with all Palm can give with incremental updates (and squeeze some more denero out of our pockets).
    I hope that mobile users dont just have to rely on Microsoft in future. You feel me ACCESS???
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    No its not!!!!
    I cant get new lady (WM5) to do many simple things that my wife (POS) did for me so many years. Its hard to replace it (atleast for me).
    There are other ladies called Symbian, BlackBerry and a youngster called Linux is comming up. My POS feels old and i'd like a new shiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    On the topic...I think 680 is same as 650 with added memory and tweaked interface. I think you can still use AudioGateway (A2DP) on 680 and use enfora sled for wifi (useless I should say so myself).
    But among 650 and 680, I still want 680 if Palm keep everything same (as 650) and just add memory.
    All Palm users now already accepted that there wont be wifi, UMTS and A2DP (other than "BluetoothAudiogateway") on Palm OS based treo. So we all have to play with all Palm can give with incremental updates (and squeeze some more denero out of our pockets).
    I hope that mobile users dont just have to rely on Microsoft in future. You feel me ACCESS???
    You could just keep you/get a 650 if you want to sent them a message. I'm divided on getting a 680 or keeping my 650, but as you i dont really like the existing alternatives.
    There are other ladies called Symbian, BlackBerry and a youngster called Linux is comming up. My POS feels old and i'd like a new shiny.

You could just keep you/get a 650 if you want to sent them a message. I'm divided on getting a 680 or keeping my 650, but as you i dont really like the existing alternatives.

same here, Symbian, BB, (WM5 is a joke) dont just have enough software, for my needs. Palm has IMO the widest selection of (native non-java) software.

I am getting the 680, but my next phone will be linux based (could be Palm, could be something else). Till then even an aging 680 will work better then anything else out there.

That said, everyone has different needs....
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
    My mistake on the SD card. I could have sworn I read somewhere that it was mini-SD.

I had a ton of apps on the SD card on my 650, and never had any problems. The only drawback, as far as I could tell, was the lag while the app was copied from the card to RAM.

I almost never use BT, so I tend to forget about that. I have no interest in looking like a borg. (Actually, I just don't spend all that much time on the phone.) If BT is important, then you'll need to see what the differences are between 1.1 and 1.2. More importantly, you'll need to wait and get real world feedback on the 680's bluetooth. Palm doesn't have a great record with BT.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Amazon.com taking orders for 680.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...bosnation0e-20

Technical Details

* Item Package Quantity: 1

Product Details

* Shipping Weight: 3.00 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
    * Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S.
    * ASIN: B000KHF7ZQ
    * Item model number: 1049NA
    * Amazon.com Sales Rank: #1,224 in Electronics (See Top Sellers in Electronics)
    * Date first available at Amazon.com: November 9, 2006

Product Manuals

* Submit a product manual.

Product Description
    Product Description
    TREO 680 GSM GENERIC SMARTPHONE

Amazon is generally more reliable than Palm.

"Generic" reads like "unlocked." Price would be very good for an unlocked phone early in the product cycle.

"Not shipping" sounds like Palm. "Generally ships..." sounds like Amazon boilerplate. It is not clear that Amazon expects to be shipping in 1-2 weeks.

Price and unlocked would be 2 out of 3. I would risk it being unlocked and send it back if it were not. However, I will not order from someone that is "not shipping."
    Last edited by whmurray; 11/13/2006 at 12:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kunjan View Post
    same here, Symbian, BB, (WM5 is a joke) dont just have enough software, for my needs. Palm has IMO the widest selection of (native non-java) software.

I am getting the 680, but my next phone will be linux based (could be Palm, could be something else). Till then even an aging 680 will work better then anything else out there.

That said, everyone has different needs....
    Why is WM5 a joke? Because it provides everything POS is lacking? I personally like POS but have strayed to WM5 because of UMTS and some other things. The Treo 750 is called 750 for a reason. The 680 is the lower end unit. The numbering from Palm itself says it all....
    Treo 750v ---> Now Sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
    Why is WM5 a joke? Because it provides everything POS is lacking? I personally like POS but have strayed to WM5 because of UMTS and some other things. The Treo 750 is called 750 for a reason. The 680 is the lower end unit. The numbering from Palm itself says it all....

one word, micro$oft. Like I said, everyone has their needs....
    -----------------
    It provides the two things that POS is lacking and none of the hundreds that it does. Is that funny?
    Also, 680 is inferior to 750 in only two respects: the camera, and 3G. Oh and did you notice, the 750 has 240x240 screen while the 680 is 320x320 ? personally I dont need 3G. EDGE is good enough.

If you need 3G, you have to go to 7xxP/W. If you dont need 3G and hate M$ 680 is awesome deal.
    -----------------
    Wow, you know, I've been waiting and waiting for the 750, and maybe the 680, but with my 600 literally having one foot in the grave, this $20 650 deal might be too good to pass up. I think a 650 could last me as a suitable stopgap so that I can wait for the first price-drop on the unlocked 750 and upgrade with or without Cingular's knowledge. The only deal-breaker is this: I have to call Cingular and talk them into letting me keep my grandfathered AT&T plan that includes unlimited nights and weekends starting at 7pm and 450 anytime minutes for $39.99.
    personally I dont need 3G. EDGE is good enough......
    EDGE might be good enough with enough memory that one did not have to rely on Blazer.
    Ummm I think I will wait for others to be happy/pissed at getting 680 first and will decide around christmas after getting enough feedback
    And I just realize that Bluetooth Audio Gateway is based on bluetooth 1.1 and not 1.2, so kiss A2DP goodbye .
    So to me, at this moment, 680 is downgrade. Now if someone got that 650 black tie version/edition, email me

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Amazon.com taking orders for 680.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...bosnation0e-20

Technical Details

* Item Package Quantity: 1

Product Details

* Shipping Weight: 3.00 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
    * Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S.
    * ASIN: B000KHF7ZQ
    * Item model number: 1049NA
    * Amazon.com Sales Rank: #1,224 in Electronics (See Top Sellers in Electronics)
    * Date first available at Amazon.com: November 9, 2006

Product Manuals

* Submit a product manual.

Product Description
    Product Description
    TREO 680 GSM GENERIC SMARTPHONE

Amazon is generally more reliable than Palm.

"Generic" reads like "unlocked." Price would be very good for an unlocked phone early in the product cycle.

"Not shipping" sounds like Palm. "Generally ships..." sounds like Amazon boilerplate. It is not clear that Amazon expects to be shipping in 1-2 weeks.

Price and unlocked would be 2 out of 3. I would risk it being unlocked and send it back if it were not. However, I will not order from someone that is "not shipping."
    Last edited by Ehsan; 11/14/2006 at 12:02 AM. Reason: missing word
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Also, 680 is inferior to 750 in only two respects: the camera, and 3G. Oh and did you notice, the 750 has 240x240 screen while the 680 is 320x320 ? personally I dont need 3G. EDGE is good enough.

If you need 3G, you have to go to 7xxP/W. If you dont need 3G and hate M$ 680 is awesome deal.
    Is there support for stereo BT headsets on the 680? I don't see it listed.

Anyway it's almost 2007, yes we need 3G. And all corporations seem to have problems. MSFT isn't the only unethical company out there. We wouldn't be able to buy about 90% of products if we boycotted everyone who is shady. The only thing we can do is never become so attached to a company that we put our trust in them, because it's very clear that most big corporations care only their bottom line more than the customer. They are a necessary evil if we want an "advanced" lifestyle though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Is there support for stereo BT headsets on the 680? I don't see it listed.

Anyway it's almost 2007, yes we need 3G. And all corporations seem to have problems. MSFT isn't the only unethical company out there. We wouldn't be able to buy about 90% of products if we boycotted everyone who is shady. The only thing we can do is never become so attached to a company that we put our trust in them, because it's very clear that most big corporations care only their bottom line more than the customer. They are a necessary evil if we want an "advanced" lifestyle though.
    3G at an affordable price. 40$ for 3G is a rip off. Agreed. Most corporations care about their profits. But if you can, out of the two evils, I'd rather choose the lesser one....
    -----------------
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    It provides the two things that POS is lacking and none of the hundreds that it does. Is that funny?
    POS only has a lot more third party apps at the moment. Standard out of the box the WM5 version provides a lot more. Personally I need 3G for my work. But even if I wouldn't need that I would go with the 750. POS is on its last legs so why invest in a system that is going to be obsolete in a year?

I know that Palm is in the process of creating new software but will you be able to update the 680 to the new software? Or do you have to invest in new hardware. Because the new OS will be different from POS.
    Treo 750v ---> Now Sold.
    3G at an affordable price. 40$ for 3G is a rip off. Agreed. Most corporations care about their profits. But if you can, out of the two evils, I'd rather choose the lesser one....
    Look at Europe. I'm never complaining about US data prices ever again! Although I do think they could figure out how to give us combined data and voice packages at a deal to keep customers happy.

So Palm is a lesser evil than MSFT? But they're now in bed with them. So if you buy a 680, you still support a company who sold out BIG TIME to MSFT!! And who let their own OS go to the wayside. Something that still p*sses me off! However, now I guess they're going to try to gain control over it again(story on front page of TC). Palm will redeem itself if they do that! But 680 or 750, you still support a MSFT project.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Just ordered the $19.99 T650 off Amazon and extended my contract with Crapular. I'm tired of waiting for the 750/680 (they will probably both be released tomorrow now). I will try to get a year or so out of the 650, and by then maybe the unlocked 750 will be out and will have had a price drop or two.
    The 650 for $20 is a bargain. You'll get a lot of use and value out of that.

Thanks for accelerating the release date for the 680/750, though!
    Went to Symbian and came back to Palm OS.

Want to, and willing to try different OS's, but Palm is just so damn flexible and easy to use. I can use the treo with my eyes closed. Symbian E61 is slow, and difficult to navigate (joystick, plus bad menus, navigation overall is CONFUSING to say the least).

So, my opinion is from a guy who didn't hate Palm OS, but just got tired of it. I went to another OS (Symbian), and hated it-- now I'm back and loving it.

But you know what, with 30 day trial periods in California, I think this is really fun! At least I will always have the TREO 650 to fall back on, and that feels good.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast