Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    So I was just checking out the current jobs available at palm and here is one of the job requirements for the HW Development Lead, Smart Phone position thats open.

• Working knowledge of RF standards: Cellular Standards, WiFi and Bluetooth

Here is the link to the full discription.

I hope that Palm has heard everyones cries and is finaly going to do something about it. Key word there is hope like im still hoping to get a 750 from cingular sometime this month ... year
    Looks very promising, but I think part of that might come from overlaps in the applications of OFDM for digital modulation. PSK and 802.11g networks implement OFDM and I would imagine Bluetooth would too (not sure though). I've also heard that Sprint was looking into an OFDM based solution. It could be that Palm is looking at bringing WiFi to the Treo (crossing my fingers), or it could be that they are looking at what might come up in the future... Time will tell! Thanks, good find!
    Prev Name: FrozenCode
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Palm has talked about putting Wi-Fi in to future Treo smartphones. Since WM 5.0 all ready supports Wi-Fi, that leaves the Palm OS.

Personally, I think that there are three things Palm is waiting for. They are:

1. Improved battery performance. Palm has been very concerned in making sure a Treo is able to run all day on a single charge.

2. The next generation Palm operating system, be it a modified version of ACCESS Linux Platform or a new Linux-based operating system developed by Palm itself. (I've called this "home brew" Linux OS "Palm OS II".)

3. While there are many good reasons for Wi-Fi 802.11b/g, I'm wondering if 802.11n might be a better choice. 802.11n has yet to be ratified, however, a number of vendors are already shipping "pre-802.11n" cards and access points. Two advantages of 802.11n are a higher band-width rate and a larger coverage area.

If I was going to build a new Wi-Fi stack for the Treo, I'd wait until all three conditions where met. If you need to add Wi-Fi to your Treo today, you can always add an Enfora Wi-Fi sled.

Alan G
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    With the sled, does the Treo risk slipping out?
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    I've never used the sled, but it doesn't look like it would. The Treo locks into the sled, so if you where holding it upright, the base of the Treo would be seated in the sled. I'm sure that the sled locks into place like the Palm HotSync cable/cradle does.

Alan G
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    In the UK magazine PC Pro, the review of the 750v states that it would have been on their 'A List' (best smartphone) if it had WiFi.

I think we universally agree that Palm has got to sort this out.
    I think Palm would have put Wifi in some form in the Treo had it not been for the cell companies telling them not to, so they can charge for internet/data usage.
    It may not matter if Palm enables WiFi in their devices if the carriers force them to disable it.

[QUOTE=burnsaa;1123846]So I was just checking out the current jobs available at palm and here is one of the job requirements for the HW Development Lead, Smart Phone position thats open.

Working knowledge of RF standards: Cellular Standards, WiFi and Bluetooth
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanG View Post
    If I was going to build a new Wi-Fi stack for the Treo, I'd wait until all three conditions where met. If you need to add Wi-Fi to your Treo today, you can always add an Enfora Wi-Fi sled.

Alan G
    All three conditions might not be met for more than a couple of years...Palm shouldnt wait that long IMO.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I already submitted my resume...it won't be long t2gungho.
    at&t iPhone3G
    One could only wish. :-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by firedog341 View Post
    I think Palm would have put Wifi in some form in the Treo had it not been for the cell companies telling them not to, so they can charge for internet/data usage.
    What about similar and competing devices? HTC HyTN? 8325? HP IPAQ? doesnt some of these have wifi? Do the cell companies disable wifi in those? Do they sell them with a similar discount as the treos?
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Palm already has products shipping addressing Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and Cellular - alas, not all combined into a single device. This job requirement may be for a possition to work on more than a single device (hence, it's moot imho).
    Quote Originally Posted by stl08 View Post
    With the sled, does the Treo risk slipping out?
    I have the sled, and it actually comes with a replacement battery cover that has two notches for the two hooks that are on the sled itself. When you mount it, it clips into place and holds the Treo tightly.

edmc makes some good observations, as all those wireless technologies are covered in one form or another by Palm's entire line-up of devices. Still,k one can still hope!
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA