1.    #1  
    AP
    Treo Plays Prominent Role in New Movie
    Wednesday November 8, 6:54 pm ET
    By May Wong, AP Technology Writer

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) -- The acclaimed film director behind the classic "1984" television commercial that launched Apple Computer Inc.'s Macintosh computers will soon promote yet another gadget icon. This time, however, the marketing will be incidental, not intentional.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Palm Inc.'s Treo smart phone will play about as prominent a role that a gadget can play in Ridley Scott's new film, "A Good Year," according to the filmmakers.

"Every once in a while, there's a prop that helps define a character, and the Treo is his key tie to the world, his lifeline, as he decides whether he's going to commit to his new life or go back to his old one," said Fred Baron, the executive vice president of feature productions at News Corp.'s Twentieth Century Fox.

The romantic comedy opens Friday. Russell Crowe plays an investment banker from London who winds up in Provence tending to a small vineyard he inherited.

In the film, the multipurpose phone appears dozens of times, its signature ring sounding off repeatedly. It's used for phone calls, photos, video conferencing, e-mail and even wine selection -- akin to its real-world capabilities.

Although companies typically pay thousands of dollars to get their products featured on-screen, Palm said it does not pay for its TV or movie appearances, relying instead on the Treo's reputation.

Sunnyvale-based Palm, which faces stiffening competition among smart phones, plans to chalk up this Hollywood treatment in a press release as its latest in a string of film roles, from the movie "Snakes on a Plane" to television shows "Law & Order" and "ER."

Scott could have chosen rival gizmos for the film but didn't, Baron said.

"We wanted the highest tech and the sleekest phone out there that could do all these things," he said, adding that the phone's ability to work across Europe was a plus.
  2.    #2  
    For a good look at the Treo check out some of the trailers here:

http://www.agoodyear.com/

PS Trailer "the pool" has a good shot of Treo.
    I caught an early screening of the movie and the Treo was a golden god.

Never had service interruptions, both ends of calls were always crystal (even when on speakerphone), it jumped from program to program in a blink, carried on data and voice simultaneously without a pause, and vibrated like a squadron of caffeinated jumping beans.

I wanted one after see it being used, and I alread own 2 (600 and 650).

Funny, though, mine have never been as good as the one in the movie. I suppose only the really talented ones get cast in movies.
    A treo was used in Vince Flynn's new book, "Act of Treason." Unfortunately, it was used by a terrorist access a website and blow up a motorcade.
    What the?! That commercial was probably Ridley Scott's less important work.

Never heard of Alien/Gladiator/Blade Runner?

Another proof that SNAKE OF A PLANE was a head of its time.

Quote Originally Posted by twoply View Post
    I caught an early screening of the movie and the Treo was a golden god.

Funny, though, mine have never been as good as the one in the movie. I suppose only the really talented ones get cast in movies.

Sorry to break it to you twoply that Treo was played by a stun double.
    Last edited by whatever7; 11/09/2006 at 08:00 PM.
    The movie only got a 5 out of 10 from our Gannett critic. Oh well, maybe the Treo will get a nod for best supporting actor.
    Quote Originally Posted by twoply View Post
    Never had service interruptions, both ends of calls were always crystal (even when on speakerphone), it jumped from program to program in a blink, carried on data and voice simultaneously without a pause, and vibrated like a squadron of caffeinated jumping beans.
    can a phonewin a best supporting actor oscar?

not only did it do the above, but it didnt need a re-charge the whole week in was in france.

it did its own stunt, when he flew to the edge of the swimming ppol and landed with no parts flying off and not a scratch to be seen.

and it did something truely amazing, it went straight video call when the assistant jazminda (btw, the actress played the sister of jazminda on bend it like beckham) called the boss. and after all that, it gets replaced by a razor.

btw, according to russell, you shouldnt question his movies. you should just assume they are good because he is in them. 60 minutes last week.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    It's always nice to see the treo get a little recognition. :-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve