Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In the UK where they probably don't sue everyone for everything like they do here, it may be hard to understand. But some companies settle to get it over with, otherwise there will be huge legal fees and publicity that could cost them even more business.

Now I do believe that sometimes the businesses are guilty and settle to keep stuff from coming out in court also. But I'm not so sure in this case, since NTP may have invalid patents to begin with.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    In the UK where they probably don't sue everyone for everything like they do here...
    It's getting that way

But some companies settle to get it over with, otherwise there will be huge legal fees and publicity that could cost them even more business.
    That's the case everywhere isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Which is a bit like pleading guilty to a crime you haven't committed in order to get a leaner sentence
    Because you can't afford a lawyer for the whole trial.

Which was the situation RIM was in, and the situation Palm is in. Palm does not have the cash to swing a lawsuit around for years. Then again, they don't really have the cash to pay out either.
    And I have to say, Vodafone's announcement this morning regarding standardizing OS's, with Palm's conspicuous absence, does not bode well for Palm's survival outside of the USA. NTP would be better off suing Google, after all they released Gmail for phones!
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by questionfear View Post
    NTP would be better off suing Google, after all they released Gmail for phones!
    sshh, NTP might monitor treocentral, so don't give them any ideas.
    Has anyone seen the Complaint or heard the specifics about the patent infringement that (supposedly) occurred?

I mean, it seems odd.

NTP vs. RIM was all about push email, right?

Until the 700w came along, the only way you got push email on the Treo was through Chatter or Good, right? Versamail sucks (sorry, PULLS) email from the server.

So if the alleged patent infringement is on a push email issue, is NTP claiming that the WM5 Treos are infringing? If so, then the true defendant is Microsoft, since Palm simply bought the DirectPush technology from Microsoft, right?

If the alleged patent infringement is on push email that pre-dates WM5 (therefore sits on a Garnet platform), then Palm is on the hook in some odd way through Versamail that I don't understand. Versamail either pulls email on demand or per a schedule that the user sets up. If the problem is Versamail, then the logical solution is www.chatteremail.com plus www.moxsi.com. Then NTP and Palm can fight about the past until NTP's patents are shown to be worthless. But at least future damage is eliminated. This is what Blackberry claimed they would do ("We have a workaround") but instead they paid blackmail. Heh. Blackberry. Email. Blackmail. (HEY. I PATENTED THAT. LAY OFF).

Or is there something buried deep inside Garnet that really annoys NTP to the tune of a patent infringement lawsuit? If so, then Palm's obvious solution is to accelerate the abandonment of Garnet in favor of anything -- ALP, WM5, CP/M.

Anyone have any clues?
    It''s (Xerox?) law suit that make Palm stop using grafitti in their PDA. So my official stand for these law suits is that....I hope somebody send NTP's office a bomb.

There I said it.
    What goes around, comes around:

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?s...47220&from=rss

Snip:
    "NTP's patent suits seem to have attracted the attention of Oren Tavory, a man who claims to have worked on a project with NTP founder Thomas Campana back in 1991. From the article: 'In September, Tavory filed a lawsuit against NTP in U.S. District Court in Richmond, VA, demanding that a judge issue a court order naming him as co-inventor on seven NTP patents, and accusing NTP of copyright infringement and unjust enrichment.'"
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12