1.    #1  
    Can anyone clarify whether or not Verizon charges for virtual modem calls to ISPs? http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...inutes+connect This posts suggests they do not but I have searched the forums and read conflicting reports.
  2.    #2  
    To clarify, would this be considered voice minutes or data?
    I guess I don't understand what a "virtual modem call to an ISP" means. I used to use my Kyocera 7135 as a modem to connect my laptop to the internet, but then it counted towards my minutes on my calling plan as it was just a call to a phone number connecting me to my ISP. I know I've never been charged for using my 650 on Verizon to connect my laptop using PdaNet which uses the data plan. I do have unlimited data.
  4.    #4  
    Rick, thanks for your reply. I currently have data but would like to disable it and use a the dialup function to connect my treo from time to time. Would this use data or voice calling minutes. From what i understand #777 used to be considered voice mintues, but at a much slower speed, but this back door has since been closed. I have heard of people using nocharge.com. I was wondering if this is still possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdixon1 View Post
    Rick, thanks for your reply. I currently have data but would like to disable it and use a the dialup function to connect my treo from time to time. Would this use data or voice calling minutes. From what i understand #777 used to be considered voice mintues, but at a much slower speed, but this back door has since been closed. I have heard of people using nocharge.com. I was wondering if this is still possible.
    Yes, the #777 option became useless on the 650 (or later treos I would imagine, but don't know for sure). That's what I would use to connect the phone to the internet on the Kyocera, but whenever I used it as a modem, I think I used to dial into the ISP itself. Either way, it was much slower than the current way with the data plan. I'm sure others here will answer your question, but, like you, I've never seen it answered one way or another positively.

Another thing I liked about the old way, that I wish they still had, was the ability to fax a doc from my laptop using the phone modem.
    You can still use your 650 as a dial up modem if you dial your own Internet Service Provider. You need either the (free) Shadowmite Bluetooth DUN hack (doesn't work if you're Verizon ROM is the new 1.05a) or one of the commercial programs (PDANet or USB modem). If you use the Shadowmite hack, you'll also need a modem script; I have attached one that works for Mac. In any case (1) you'll be charged minutes of usage, not data and (2) your data rate is really slow, something like 14400 bps, which is about 1/4 of land-line dial up modem speed.

And by the way, #777 is not dead. With one of the above options you can also use #777, username (your 10 digit number)@vzw3g.com, password vzw, that will connect you to Verizon's 1xRTT data service (5 - 10x faster than dialing up your ISP) and you'll be on the "pay as you go" (aka "rape me per kb") plan if you haven't paid for a data plan.

Note: in order to upload the modem script to this website I had to add the extension ".doc"; you may need to delete the extension before using it. It goes into your /Library/Modem Scripts folder. The file name "1X" suggests it's for the 1xRTT data service, and it works for that, but it also works for plain dial up modem service. Frankly I don't know if it works for Windows also or not.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bobodobo; 11/04/2006 at 09:45 PM.
  7.    #7  
    I need the PDAnet to just to dailiup with the treo? I though PDAnet was used for tether a laptop etc? In anycase, could you link me?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdixon1 View Post
    I need the PDAnet to just to dailiup with the treo? I though PDAnet was used for tether a laptop etc? In anycase, could you link me?
    Yes, PdaNet will only connect your laptop to the internet as your phone is already set up to connect to the internet with either pay as you go, 10 or 20 mb per month or unlimited. You don't need anything to connect just the phone to the internet, it should be ready to go (but watch the expense).

What bobodobo is saying is great advise for what I think you're wanting to do (pay by minutes on your phone, since many are off peak). If I could figure out how to do all he's talking about, I might try it out.
    Sorry, the beginning of the thread mentioned "virtual modem" which (to me at least) means enabling your computer to access the internet via one of the Treo's data connections. (I emphasize that with the instructions in my previous post, you WILL NOT be charged for data, just phone minutes of usage.) (At least, that's how it works for me.)

If you just want to surf the internet, check email, etc. ON THE TREO and pay only for minutes used and don't mind the slow data rate, it's pretty easy:

1. Go to Preferences application and select Network.

2. Under the "Preferences" menu within this application, select "New"

3. Fill out this page - name (pick whatever you want), username, connection type (Virtual Modem), password and phone number. For some reason my company's dial up service doesn't work this way, so I use NoCharge.com's service:

Name: No Charge (or whatever)
    Connection: Virtual Modem
    User Name: guest
    Password: password
    Number: pick one from nocharge.com's website.

Or maybe your own Internet Service Provider (i.e. if you have DSL) includes a free dial-up connection (mine doesn't), in which case you can use your username, password and number from that service. I would really prefer not to use a free service like NoCharge when I already have access to a dial up connection, but as I said it doesn't work for some reason.

4. Select this connection. Close Preferences, then open Preferences / Network application again, make sure that at the top of the screen under Service that No Charge is selected from the drop down list.

5. Enjoy your surfing. Hope you have patience...
    Last edited by bobodobo; 11/05/2006 at 11:56 AM.