Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm thinking about getting a Nokia E62 and a data package to go along with it. If I get the 5MB package, what actually will I be getting in comparison to a higher cost package? How much usage(airtime/internet) will I have? I feel like a DA right now, but dont want to spend way more than I have to. Thanks in advance. Please be patient with me.
    JB
    Assuming you can get decent edge speed, which is about 60k bit/second. 5 M Btye gives you about 11 minute of music/video stream. Or longer if you only browse the internet.

What's a DA?
    He means dumba**, I think.

I don't use that much data myself, so I'm inexperienced too. I think he should get the Unlimited if he intends to do a lot of email checking, surfing, etc. Cingular has a bad habit of slapping people with huge overage bills.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    would that plan be 11min. per month then.
    yap.
  6.    #6  
    What do you guys think about this statement made by magic25 on another post?

I just bought a Dash yesterday, have been an owner of an unlocked Treo 650 on T-Mobile, and the Dash is refreshingly nice. Great screen, battery life, form factor, and that wifi, which I estimate is about 2-3 times faster on my home 802.11g network than on the EDGE connection when browsing the web. By the way, on the Dash I have full access to the internet using the T-MobileWeb plan for $5.99/month using the custom proxy, 216.xxx.xxx.xxx, and wifi works too when you turn it on, so don't let the T-mobile sales rep tell you that you need the $29.99/month plan unless you need unlimited access to T-Mo's Hotspots.
    Is this something I can do with Cingular if I get the E62? If so, how? Thanks!
    JB
    No, they stripped the wifi off the E62.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8.    #8  
    Daang! Either 11 min. surf times for $5.99 or pay the big bucks for the Unlimited data package. It wouldnt be so bad if I wasnt paying my wife's cell phone bill also. Oh well, maybe the 10% discount off my bill will help a little.
    JB
    If you plan on a lot of surfing, Unlimited definitely is best. You don't want a huge bill from Cingular if you go over on any of the lower priced plans. I have a suspicion they did that deliberately, so everyone would probably be forced to buy Unlimited. Notice how you get very little on the lower priced plans.

http://www.cingular.com/cell-phone-s...nect-plans.jsp

I wonder how much surfing time per month 20MB is. I don't stream, just check emails mostly.

Did they get rid of Media Net? It can no longer be found by just a link.

Unlimited is the only way to go with a web-enabled phone. If the pricing plans were at 50MB and/or 100MB it might be another story - but as noted, 5MB is just a few minutes of connectivity. I watched last week as the front page of my morning newspaper website sailed over 1MB of content all by itself. These 5MB and 10MB plans haven't changed since the concept of a dataplan was first introduced, and all people were doing was zipping around text-only emails BACK AROUND THE TURN OF THE CENTURY.
  12.    #12  
    So thats how its used, on a download/surf basis. Hmm? If I downloaded a 2M video right off the bat, 2M of data for that mo. would be gone? Correct me if I'm wrong.....
    JB
    Here is a cheat sheet

Code:

Carriers      | Cingular |   Spring     | T-Mobile | Verizon
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    unlimited data |   $40    |  $15/10*     |  $30     |  $45
    for smartphone |          | power vision |          |
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    unlimted data  |   $20    |  $15/10*     |  $5/6**  |    ? 
    for reg phone  | MediaNet |              | T-Zone   |
    that works for |          |              |          |
    smartphone 
    unofficially

* depends on whom you talk to, both times I talked to Spring rep 
    they offer the $10 Power Vison.  Regular Vison was $10 and now 
    it's officially $15

** Need to use proxy, which means some applications like google map won't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by impalasscars View Post
    So thats how its used, on a download/surf basis. Hmm? If I downloaded a 2M video right off the bat, 2M of data for that mo. would be gone? Correct me if I'm wrong.....
    Unless a carrier offers some kind of online content that is shielded from counting against your total MB, you are correct.

Once you sail past your limit, you will be billed an amount well over the difference between the limited MB package and the unlimited package - depending (naturally) on how much you go over it can amount to EASILY several hundred dollars. Calling your carrier and saying "I had no idea" will typically get you nowhere. This is why I think there needs to be legislation/consumer protection on the amount you pay when you go over any cellphone plan vs the most appropriate plan for your usage in the first month of service with a new plan (double, triple would SEEM reasonable and still far cheaper than the too often jaw-dropping first month bill).
    Last edited by Keefer Lucas; 10/31/2006 at 11:25 AM.
    I think Cingular needs to just stop offering those lower cost data plans period! They are counting on people to go over so they can pounce on them. I bet you many people often don't realize how much they're downloading until they get that shocker bill! Even if they do only light surfing every day, they can still go over.

16.    #16  
    Thats why I'm asking these questions. I would probably be that person.
    JB
    DA = District Attorney, right?
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    DA = District Attorney, right?
    Thats right! LOL!
    JB
    Quote Originally Posted by impalasscars View Post
    Thats why I'm asking these questions. I would probably be that person.
    I remember the first month with my Verizon 650. I would do an initial download of email that would take up a couple of MB, then about once a week Versamail would crash and I would need to download it all over again, and I foolishly thought that somehow - some way - Verizon would "credit" me because it was a problem with a software product provided through them. How silly! I think I sailed past my 20MB allottment by a two-fold number and got smacked with a $250 bill. And no recourse but to pay it...since then I have been a strong advocate of unlimited data...
  20.    #20  
    When I had my TREO 650, I did get the unlimited data, but couldnt see myself to keep paying $45/mo. plus my airtime bill. With that being said, look at me now. I'm trying to get back into it.
    JB
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast