Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Just came across this website (was linked to VersionTracker)

http://www.smaato.com/services.php

Appears to have two software for Palm Smaato Cost and Smaato News.
    Both of them appear to be free. I just registered Smaato Cost.

(I don't understand German, members who do may please comment)

- mvk
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I don't understand German either, but Google sure does:

Smaato Cost & Smaato News
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    I installed Smaato Cost. It seems it is not recording all data traffic. Also, in the main form it is not showing the right minutes & SMSs remaining.
    And when I registered, in the last form, I choose "click here to return to Smaato Cost" and then... CRASH!
    I will wait for some days to see how does it work.
    BTW, after installed it is in english.
    Quote Originally Posted by jossanaijr View Post
    Also, in the main form it is not showing the right minutes & SMSs remaining.
    It's working now. It was missing some data in "rate plan" form.
    Hi,

the Website has been updated. It's now also available in English. The Software as well.
    Does this work on the 700p?
    Something about this program / company strikes me as odd. Their terms and conditions talks about using the "Service". Does this program call home for some reason?

Also, why is such a relatively simple app over 500K?

I think I'll wait to hear other folks experiences before I dip my toe in here. Call me paranoid.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Something about this program / company strikes me as odd.
    Actually, you may be on to something, I noticed heavy battery drain (more then double of what I had before (<1 day instead of >2 days)) after installation, and also after uninstallation. Still not returned back to normal.

Note: this may be due to something else, but it DID happen around the same time as I installed Smaato Cost.

After two days of testing the above hypothesis:
    ...the battery drain was NOT caused by Smaato Cost, but by something else.

Last edited by GreenHex; 11/01/2006 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Added clarification in bold...
    Something about this program / company strikes me as odd. Their terms and conditions talks about using the "Service". Does this program call home for some reason?
    Yes, I found it strange too.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Actually, you may be on to something, I noticed heavy battery drain (more then double of what I had before (<1 day instead of >2 days)) after installation, and also after uninstallation.
    I did not notice any battery problem yet.

BTW, it seems to be working very fine...!
  10.    #10  
    jossanaijr,

Did you manage to configure "roaming" charges in Smaato cost? How does one go about that? Thank you for any help on this.

- mvk
    smaato cost I think does phone home cause it requires registration. Also When I turn my phone off and then open the app it starts up like that. But if my phone is on it takes awhile and looks like it is sending and recieving info through my phone wirelessly somehow.

I'm scared deleting the program.
    Google is my Best Friend

The Building of the Biggest Software Site EVER!

http://www.treoquestions.org/questions/downloads.php
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jreagles21 View Post
    smaato cost I think does phone home

looks like it is sending and recieving info through my phone wirelessly somehow.
    While anything is possible, it is also more likely that Smaato Cost takes a definite amount of time to "collect" information on the phone status (if the phone is on).
    Hi guys,

I think I need to make some thinks clear here.

1. It works on 700p

2. Smaato News uses a server, which does the XML-parsing and sends the rendered RSS-feeds to the device. The server also delivers the ads to the device - as you know Smaato News is ad supported and that's why it is free. We think, that is a great solution - as you know there is no other really free RSS solution for Palm OS. This whole think is meant with "Service". The program doesn't "call home" and doesn't spy on your private data or something.

3. Cost doesn't "call home" as well. We just want a registration to have a reliable source for the number of users. The pure download numbers hasn't proofed as being very precise. In addition we need to inform you about updates.

4. The size is a result of the rich graphics and the complexity of smaato cost. We're working on reducing the size.

5. I've just talked to a developer and neither he nor I have ever heard about a battery problem. Please give us a detailed description to support at smaato dot com.
    How does one download the rate plans from the web? The option in the app opens blazer to an empty page.
    Looks like interesting software. English Privacy info: http://smaato.com/privacy_policy.php

Includes:
    "When you register with Smaato, we ask for a certain amount of personal information. Once you register with Smaato and sign in to our services, you are not anonymous to us.
    Smaato also automatically receives and records information on our server logs from your browser including your IP address.
    Smaato uses information for three general purposes: to constantly improve its services and products, to fulfill your requests regarding its products and to contact you about special offers and new products. "

Also - they are both .exe files... you will apparently need to sully a workstation in order to install the .prc's onto your Palm.
    Last edited by Joad; 11/08/2006 at 08:05 PM.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Ok, I downloaded and installed the Smaato News English version, but the menus are in German. I don't understand why things are in German when I successfully downloaded the English version....Ideas?
    Last edited by dlai; 11/08/2006 at 10:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlai View Post
    Ok, I downloaded and installed the Smaato News English version, but the menus are in German. I don't understand why things are in German when I successfully downloaded the English version....Ideas?
    I just downloaded the English version from our website to try it myself. The English version is English.

Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    How does one download the rate plans from the web? The option in the app opens blazer to an empty page.
    There is currently a problem. It will be fixed in next version. Please open http://mobile.smaato.com/mobile/jsp/...plan.jsp?start from your webbrowser to download the rate plan PRC.

A single PRC-installer for News will be available next week. If you need it now, please contact our support or send me a PM.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smaato View Post
    I just downloaded the English version from our website to try it myself. The English version is English.
    Everything except the menus are in English.

The single prc would be great...so I could just run it off the card w/o loading anything in internal ram.

I also can't find a way to delete the default rss feeds that come preconfigured with Smaato News. Very annoying. I don't want any of the default rss feeds, just my own.

Also.. the fact that it creates it's own "Smaato" category when I install it to my Treo is both unwelcome and annoying. If I wanted a new category, I'd make one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ssrjazz; 11/09/2006 at 10:32 AM.
    Hi,

as you can see from the attached screenshots, the menus are english as well. The whole app is English though my device's OS is German.

The default channels can easily be deleted. Just tap the "down" arrow while in channel list and choose "Delete Feed". On the next screen simply check the desired channels and tap "Delete". See also the attached screenshots.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Then you have access to a version that is different than what your webpage has people download. I downloaded the English version..and as shown in that screenshot, the menus are most definitely NOT in english.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast