1.    #1  
    I've been using a Treo 650 for a little over a year now and simply put, it's worn out. I've dropped it countless times and it has it's fair share of battle scars and simply put, it's time to replace it.

I'm interested in the Treo 680 but the Blackberry 7130 has caught my eye as well.

My primary use for the Treo is the phone. I don't push email but do check it from time to time. I do use the Calendar and Contacts with regularity. I access the Web from time to time, mostly when I'm out and need to check the weather. I don't use the Message features and every now and then play games (Bejeweled, etc.) on the Treo to pass the time. I've got some Word documents on the Treo but can't remember if I've ever needed them.

So the $20 question is do I wait for the 680 or go for the Blackberry?

I like the size and feel of the Blackberry a bit more than the 650, which means I'll likely like the size and feel of the 680.

Has anyone made such a switch? Anyone regret it?
    The big benefit of the BlackBerry is push email...especially in conjunction with the Blackberry server. If all you want to do is occasionally check POP3 email accounts, you'd be far better off with a Treo.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    If you a big phone user - get a nokia e-series.
    To my way of thinking - simply put - if you are "on your own" from an IT perspective, then the Treo is the way to go. If you work for a company that can support - or help to support - a Blackberry device then you might be more satisfied with that.
    I have both a 700p and BB 8700. Personally I prefer the 700p over the BB. I use chattermail to have 'push' email capabilities on my 700p.
    With the Treo, you can do most of the things that the BB does, and much more. Don't change a Treo for a BB.
    Another consideration - is the BB connect service more expensive than the Treo? I know at Sprint it is - 2-3X more depending on the plan. So, if email is not your top priority, go with the Treo.
    I use the Treo and like it, but the BB has a built in GPS. In my vies that is the major weakness of the Treo. Does anyone know how the GPS works in the BB?
    Laissez Faire
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    I've been using a Treo 650 for a little over a year now and simply put, it's worn out. I've dropped it countless times and it has it's fair share of battle scars and simply put, it's time to replace it.

I'm interested in the Treo 680 but the Blackberry 7130 has caught my eye as well.

My primary use for the Treo is the phone. I don't push email but do check it from time to time. I do use the Calendar and Contacts with regularity. I access the Web from time to time, mostly when I'm out and need to check the weather. I don't use the Message features and every now and then play games (Bejeweled, etc.) on the Treo to pass the time. I've got some Word documents on the Treo but can't remember if I've ever needed them.

So the $20 question is do I wait for the 680 or go for the Blackberry?

I like the size and feel of the Blackberry a bit more than the 650, which means I'll likely like the size and feel of the 680.

Has anyone made such a switch? Anyone regret it?
    You don't say whether you have your data on an Exchange Server 2003 box or not. I'm guessing from your post that you don't have (and don't have a big need for) over the air sync of your PIM data and email.

I've done the Treo --> Blackberry --> Treo dance. Except for size considerations, the Treo 680 would I think much better suit your needs.

There's only one way to know, of course. Test drive both devices.

I would choose a Blackberry if (and only if) my company had an Enterprise Server lurking somewhere. Without that, the Blackberry has no more functionality than an average smartphone, and a whole lot less functionality than the Treo.

If my company didn't have a Blackberry Enterprise Server then the world is wide open for devices. I mean, you might even think about the 3125. Or wait for the Pearl to hit Cingular. Or (yes) get the 680.

My phone dance thus far has been MPx 220 --> Treo --> Blackberry --> MDA --> Treo --> Treo + SDA (now) --> Treo + SDA + Dash (in about 4 hours ).

I must say that the Treo has become the old reliable backup to all of these new toys. It is the gold standard against which I measure every other phone. Also, I now really value the small size of the SDA and don't mind the limited functionality inherent in the form factor.
    Last edited by Tastypeppers; 10/25/2006 at 10:12 AM. Reason: punctuation police came a-knockin'
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    To my way of thinking - simply put - if you are "on your own" from an IT perspective, then the Treo is the way to go. If you work for a company that can support - or help to support - a Blackberry device then you might be more satisfied with that.
    I don't get why support would sway this decision ?

My company is BB ONLY - my treo 650 with BB connect does great and creates significant envy everywhere I go.
    Of course on a treocentral forum you are going to get more people recommending the Treo. I wonder what the consensus would be on blackberry forums?

Seriously - one other thing to check out - if you can wait a few more months - is the Blackberry 8800 (code named Crimson I think). Google it.

It's a very nice looking phone - has full qwerty and supposedly has built in WiFi and GPS.

I have also used both and I say (unbiased) you would be completely ok with either. They both match your needs as you listed them. It just really depends the interface and phone style that you prefer. Whatever floats your boat as they say...

In a biased sense - part of the reason I switched to the Blackberry is that I at times was feeling like a bit of a beta tester for Palm. Some things just didn't work as well as they should and the quality of the connectors (at least on the 650) left a lot to be desired.
  12.    #12  
    Let me ask you this.

Is there any performance difference between the Treo and the BB 7130 with regards to downloading websites? (service through Cingular)
    My experience - no real difference. But I use the Blackberry Pearl now - which has a slightly smaller screen. My 650 had Edge - My Pearl has Edge. Speed about the same - treo gets the nod for added screen real estate.
  14.    #14  
    I like your Avatar Treo-Mike.

I'm in no big hurry but will need to retire the worn out Treo eventually. I've even considered the new Razor V3i but I don't think I'd like going back to the keypad/keyboard.

The 7130c is appealling though....
    if the user doesn't have a great need for email, and really wants a phone with calendar/contacts and internet capability, the treo would not be the first device to come to mind. for god's sake why carry around such a big device when his needs don't warrant/require such? i'm with one of the other posters: either nokia E series, a blackberry pearl or blackberry 7100?, or perhaps a motorola-q. the Treo doesn't have all that much more functionality (out of the box) than the phones listed above.

i say try them all and see what fits you best.