Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK! This thread may be a bit early, but a recent article made me think about it. I didn't know 'till recently that ALP meant Access Linux Platform. Anyway, here's the article (T680 related). NOTE: The italics in the story are mine.

Friday 13 October 2006
    Palm Treo 680: Swansong to the Palm OS
    Related entries: Handhelds
    http://crave.cnet.co.uk/handhelds/0,...35,00.htm?r=50

Today Palm announced the Palm Treo 680, which comes in blue, orange, white and red (as pictured). It looks very similar to the Palm Treo 750v, which was announced last month, but it doesn't run on Windows Mobile. Instead, the 680 runs on the Palm OS version 5.4.9 and will be one of the last Palm phones to run on the original Palm OS, as the handsets are moving to a Linux-based OS next year.

According to our sister site ZDNet UK, "Palm sold its PalmSource OS division to Japanese firm Access last year -- it is now called Access Linux Platform (ALP). PalmSource will be no more and instead Palm Inc who make the Treo range among other devices will use the ALP platform. The Palm emulation environment within ALP is set to stay for at least a while, so old Palm applications will continue to work, but analysts say the new OS will still have a lot to prove."

The 680 is powered by an Intel PXA270 312MHz processor and features a large colour touchscreen, full Qwerty keypad and VGA camera for basic snapshots. There's quad-band connectivity, so you can use it anywhere in the world that has a GSM network, and Bluetooth and infrared connectivity for transferring data to another device.

It has 64MB on-board memory and there's an expandable memory slot so you can add extra storage space if you need it. Other features include a speakerphone mode, polyphonic ring tones and a 2.5mm headset port.

The 680 comes into its own on the business side of things, giving corporate users access to email on the go. The Treo series has developed a reputation as an alternative to the BlackBerry, but the question remains whether the change to a Linux OS will affect users and application compatibility. According to Palm, the 680 will be available before Christmas. Expect a full review soon. -AL
    At the very least, I hope the ALP Treo keeps the same form factor of the T650/T700, but I doubt that will hapen. (I have (2) T650 cradles and (1) of those extended batteries for my T650 and I don't want to have to start from scratch on accessories all over again). I'm also one of these rare folks who like the look of the antenna. Software/OS wise, my mind's an open book. With the OS upgrade, I'm guessing the keyboard/key design might change a bit. I just hope Palm moves the red and green buttons back to the T650 specs or at least something simialar, as to keep all buttons useful and functional. What's the rest of you here say?
    The 6 million dollar question is will Palm adopt ALP for its Treos?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Just to make sure that the facts are straight, Palm has not said that they will adopt the ALP. Rumors have stated that Palm will not use the ALP in favor of either their own Linux OS (with PalmOS support) or a new flavor of the PalmOS.
    Palm has not committed to ALP.

Even if Palm is making ALP Treo phone, they will not announce it. Both 700p and 680 came out as surprise when the prototypes leaked.

BTW, if you guys listen to the Treocast, a guy they talked to said the new WM will support custom resolution which means 320X320 is supported.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    According to our sister site ZDNet UK, "Palm sold its PalmSource OS division to Japanese firm Access last year -- it is now called Access Linux Platform (ALP). PalmSource will be no more and instead Palm Inc who make the Treo range among other devices will use the ALP platform. The Palm emulation environment within ALP is set to stay for at least a while, so old Palm applications will continue to work, but analysts say the new OS will still have a lot to prove."
    Also, to note:

In 2003 (I believe it was) Palm, Inc. split to form Palm SG and PalmSource, hardware and OS respectively.
    In 2004 Palm SG acquired Handspring and formed pa1mOne.
    PalmSource was bought out by ACCESS in '05 (I believe). PalmSource did work on the OS. At this point ACCESS announced the ACCESS Linux Platform.

Edit: Dates may be wrong, but order is correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Also, to note:

In 2003 (I believe it was) Palm, Inc. split to form Palm SG and PalmSource, hardware and OS respectively.
    In 2004 Palm SG acquired Handspring and formed pa1mOne.
    PalmSource was bought out by ACCESS in '05 (I believe). PalmSource did work on the OS. At this point ACCESS announced the ACCESS Linux Platform.

Edit: Dates may be wrong, but order is correct.
    Also don't forget PalmSOure brought a small Linux firm (from China?) before they got brought out; and they announced a failed alliance with LG around the same time; there is the drama right after PalmSource was brought out Motorola was quite upset and threaten to sue Access becuase due to some back hand dealing Motorola couldn't buy PalmSource for its Linux assets.

And to this day Moto is the biggest handset maker who has committed to Linux smart phone. The asian E680 and the new Rokr E5 are Linux phones.
    Last edited by whatever7; 10/21/2006 at 06:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    BTW, if you guys listen to the Treocast, a guy they talked to said the new WM will support custom resolution which means 320X320 is supported.
    Which WM? Crossbow (WM5.5) or Photon (WM6)?
    I speculate that an ALP Treo will never exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by laurenke View Post
    Which WM? Crossbow (WM5.5) or Photon (WM6)?
    I don't remember since MS product code names never mean anything. Remember Longhorn? It had a lot more features and a much earlier release date.

Why don't you listen to it.
    Also don't forget PalmSOure brought a small Linux firm (from China?) before they got brought out; and they announced a failed alliance with LG around the same time; there is the drama right after PalmSource was brought out Motorola was quite upset and threaten to sue Access becuase due to some back hand dealing Motorola couldn't buy PalmSource for its Linux assets.

And to this day Moto is the biggest handset maker who has committed to Linux smart phone. The asian E680 and the new Rokr E5 are Linux phones.
    Ah Yes. Cannot forget that. I was going to mention PalmOS on Linux (or POL).

I wish that LG would pull something awesome out of their sleeve, but the day that happens pigs will fly and man will travel to the far reaches of space without an oxygen tank or special suit.

I wish an ALP based Treo was true, but something aches at me that it isn't. If anything, I would like to see Palm get rights from ACCESS to continue the PalmOS and quite hacking FrankenGarnet. Although, would you say that if Palm got the rights to the PalmOS, they would still be hacking FrankenGarnet? Also, that would mean that Palm would have to upkeep the PalmOS layer in ALP. Would they? Interesting things to think about.
    I agree 100%. Both Palm and Access never mention each other directly regarding ALP, only about Garnet.

There will never be an ALP based Treo in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e View Post
    I speculate that an ALP Treo will never exist.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    .... I wish an ALP based Treo was true, but something aches at me that it isn't. If anything, I would like to see Palm get rights from ACCESS to continue the PalmOS and quite hacking FrankenGarnet. Although, would you say that if Palm got the rights to the PalmOS, they would still be hacking FrankenGarnet? Also, that would mean that Palm would have to upkeep the PalmOS layer in ALP. Would they? Interesting things to think about.

Heh, they did. Palm can hack it (FrankenGarnet) for 5 more years.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    So no "alpo" treo, only hacked frankengarnets on life support for 5 more years? Sad. Truly.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    At earliest, an ALP Treo would be here about this time next year. That is saying that EVERYTHING with device testing, carrier approval, and carrier testing goes perfectly. In Palm's case, that could work if the hardware design doesnt change too much, but I would guess that Palm would want to do one classic designed Treo and one revolutionary designed one as possibles to see which one would stick.

Its also in my opinion that the hardware is just about finalized now, its just the OS that needs to be integrated with it. And as Access is not yet shipping it, Palm cannot really move in that state.

In terms of hacking Garnet, Palm is basically to the point of hacking applications (see the 680s phone/contacts) moreso than the OS as a whole. They pretty much know what kind of hardware a NFVS Garnet device needs, and so what is really left is to make the software experience match up. If Palm had more control over Garnet and what they could do to it, we might see a swing for a wifi Treo or at least a UMTS one, but I really doubt that it would be worth the effort at this point.

Lastly, the Treos have a lifecycle of about 2 years from time of introduction. That would make the 680 good till Fall of 2008. That would make for enough time for Palm to pull off a few ROM fixes and maybe one more Garnet release before it really does have to be put down becasue of market pressure (not necessarly consumer pressure - though if marketed and priced right, Garnet could get a new lease on life because of the 680).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    if ALP doesn't live up to Palm's expectations, its dead. POS6 was denied by every ODM because of how incredibly horrible it was.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Interesting points, Antoine.
    Among the things palm really must do to bring the software up on par with the hardware is to eliminate the frequent crashes and resets.

In my opinion that will be one of the major weaknesses users which are brought over from feature phones will complain about.

To be honest, I might not mind another frankengarnet device as long as it was stable, and a bit more dependable.

I'm surprised and disappointed to hear that cobalt - palm os 6 - was so awful. After all the rumors about improved multitasking and potentially wifi enabled, I'd have thought it would have been a hit.

In any case, I think I will be staying with my 650 until the ALP treo,which Antoine spoke of, is released. When stability finally meets ev-do or wimax broadband, broader multimedia features and and sufficient memory, then I will be ready for my next treo.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    ...And as Access is not yet shipping it, Palm cannot really move in that state...
    I'll bet if they don't already, they will have early versions. It's in Access' best interest for Palm to successful so they'll no doubt do everything they can towards that end.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Palm just might have early versions, but the issues of stability are just one (big) piece of the pie here. Palm also has to balance differentiation from Garnet while keeping simple usability. That's not an easy task at the speed of tech today. While I have not one shred of doubt about Access's coding abilities (I wouldnt be surprised if the OS is done before the end of year with a prototype device as a reference design), I do wonder if Palm's attempt to go downmarket and globolize the Treo market will be a small hindrance to them in getting devices out faster. Palm is marking a solution in much the same way teh carriers want to, and that is harder to do when the carriers you have to play thru (reference).

Among the things palm really must do to bring the software up on par with the hardware is to eliminate the frequent crashes and resets.
    One must remember, for Palm to have kept garnet going this long, they needed to do other things to it that it was not meant to do. Palm did so and it did break things. I would believe that Access has enough forsight not to let that happen, but who knows Palm and what they want to do (besides usability, simplicity, and impactability).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Cobalt was never implemented on a hardware device, so the reports of it "being horrible" are not true.

What is true is the Palm effed up so bad, they released an OS without working with ISVs and hardware makers. Biggest tech blunder in the last 10 years.

I think the ALP will suffer the sane demise.

The problem is that Garnet is at EOL, but WM5 still is not as usable as the PalmOS.

Let's check in next year...
    Heh, they did. Palm can hack it (FrankenGarnet) for 5 more years.

There's nothing left for them to hack, using (roughly) the same hardware for so many years will do that... The closest thing to a hack at this point would be changing variable names. I imagine they'll be working on the Linux thing for another few years and release a revolutionary device (note that by then pigs will have taught themselves to fly and BSD developers will become real coders). The way I see it Palm's dead. If they were actually concerned about the state of the company they would've put more effort into the 680, the colors are an act of desperation...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast