1.    #1  
    I had my treo 650 destroyed (it still works but I can now remove the entire face plate) I need to replace it and I'm really confused about all the changes to the new treos. I'm in the U.S. and my carrier is sprint. Can you guys help me sort things out.

First up, do I get a 680,700,750, or another 650? What are the real differences?

Second, Do I go with windows or palm os? I have a lot of palm software like tom tom I would still like to use. Is there an emulator for the windows version that would let me run tom tom and other programs?

Thanks in advance for helping me sort through it all
    Asking Palm or WM5 is like asking a crowd of geeks which is better, Windows or a Mac. There is no right answer. For me, its what you are comfortable with. I have used Palm OS for almost ten years - I tried to migrate over to Windows CE a couple of years ago and didn't like it. But that's just me. Someone else surely thinks that WM5 is just dandy.

Operating system aside, I would find out whether or not you live in an area currently served by EVDO - broadband wireless internet. If you have EVDO access, then go with the 700. If you live in a more rural area that does not have EVDO, then I would consider the 680 (which is Palm OS only at this point).
  3.    #3  
    "Asking Palm or WM5 is like asking a crowd of geeks which is better, Windows or a Mac."

Yes but when I'm asking that question I know I can run most of my pc software on my mac. Still the main question is the differences in the actual phones.
    680 & 750, not yet offered by US GSM carriers (Cingular & maybe T-Mob). They both have no antenna. 680 is POS with Phone & Contacts combined into a single app; 750 is WM5. 750 uses mini SD.

700 comes in 3 flavors: p = POS, w = WM5 lo memory, wx = WM5 more memory. It is a CDMA phone. Features differ by carrier.

You have a choice of the 700p or 700wx at Sprint.

You can compare at palm.com.
    If you go 680 or 700p you will get up to speed straight away, but if you go win mobile it will be an investment in future mobility of choice, as there are many more win mobile choices around, and there will be even more in the future.

Recently the best software (ignoring google maps) have been coming out on win mobile first (e.g. Skype, sling player, Netfront 3.3, adobe acrobat PDF reader, flash viewer, Sony location free player, bittorent client, RSS readers, games etc etc)

The choice is between old, comfortable and stagnant vs new, bit awkward, but rapidly growing.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 10/21/2006 at 03:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkfox3 View Post
    Yes but when I'm asking that question I know I can run most of my pc software on my mac. Still the main question is the differences in the actual phones.
    Yes but that's the primary difference between the phones - one running Palm OS and the other running WM5.

A big part of your determination will come from what you are comfortable with, what you have used before (software you may have already invested in), and what flavor OS your business organization will most readily support. My office, for example, uses Palm OS. I could choose a WM5 device but our limited tech support staff would not support it conveniently. Other organizations are just the opposite.
    Would you like to sync with Outlook?

If the answer is no, recommend you stay with Palm OS.
  8.    #9  
    windows sounds good I just hate to lose my tom tom
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post

That is ridiculous. Palm syncs great with Outlook. Always has, always will.
    OP has a Mac. How well do Macs sync with Outlook?
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post

I sync my Treo 650 with Outlook on a daily basis. . .

NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Regarding TomTom, doesn't it come with the POS and WM software on the same install CD, ie, buy one, get one free?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Regarding TomTom, doesn't it come with the POS and WM software on the same install CD, ie, buy one, get one free?

Surur
    Depends on which version you buy. Some versions don't come with wm software. I don't think mine came with it.
    Concerning Tom Tom, when I made the OS switch a couple years ago, I contacted my app companies and said I am switching OS and wanted to keep using their product can they provide me a WM equivalent or a discounted upgrade.

Nearly all cases, they gave a WM for free or for very little. I didn't have Tom Tom, but it worth a try.