Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I miss the days when we were all waiting for the same TREO. I'm here staring at my old 300, 600, 650 and my 700p. Now I'm lost, the tree-o is branching out in too many directions. Can't try them all, at least I don't think I can.
    The more the merrier!
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    I agree that it's good to finally have Treo choice! I would like to see a flip phone Treo! Not that I'm holding my breath though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I agree that it's good to finally have Treo choice! I would like to see a flip phone Treo! Not that I'm holding my breath though.
    That would be sweet!!!
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    If Palm makes Treo look like this Motorola MPx with a lot of features, I would buy it.
    too many treos flooding the market make [our] phones less valuable, imo...

its cool, but as soon as it becomes flooded, it makes the treo look "weak"

---if i see a middle school student holding a treo, I am jumping ship.
    Why? It's still a Treo. The kid probably wouldn't even know it's full capabilities. But who would buy a kid a Treo anyway? A college student yes, but not a kid.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Why? It's still a Treo. The kid probably wouldn't even know it's full capabilities. But who would buy a kid a Treo anyway? A college student yes, but not a kid.
    last yr, i gave my 5th grade cousin an unlocked treo 650.

why? because she wanted IM ...and i despise the sidekick. So I gave her an unlocked treo 650.

there are many many spoiled family members out there.

And my point is valid [to me that is], if I see the market flooded with treos, I am off to venture for a new phone.

YES, I will miss chatteremail...
    A 10 yr. old with a $600 phone?

Unless she goes to a school where nothing gets stolen, confiscated by the teachers, and/or she never drops anything; there's NO WAY!

Unless she goes to a private school, and the other kids have E62s and all that. haha

Be prepared to see more high-school kids and college kids with 680s. O.O
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    A 10 yr. old with a $600 phone?

Unless she goes to a school where nothing gets stolen, confiscated by the teachers, and/or she never drops anything; there's NO WAY!
    I live in Los Angeles county.

You should see how many "children" (middle schoolers) carry sidekick 3's around here.

Thats a $400 phone (w/out plan in itself)
    You can do IM with a Nokia 6030 ($40 at Wal-Mart).
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    well, i dont want to go off topic. but i guess to each their own (price-wise)

to go back on topic, I bet there will be LOTS AND LOTS of 680 users out there (due to the lower price point).

Its a smart move on Palm... but its just like the Mercedes coming out with a C class. -you see your neighbors high school teen and all her friends driving it!!!!!
    I just wish Palm would release all Treo's for each provider. So no matter who you were with (Cingular, Sprint, Verizon & T-Mobile) you would be able to pick the Treo that suited you. It would make life so much easier.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    You can really tell apart the people that use Treos for more "toys" than business tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLuce View Post
    I just wish Palm would release all Treo's for each provider. So no matter who you were with (Cingular, Sprint, Verizon & T-Mobile) you would be able to pick the Treo that suited you. It would make life so much easier.
    I'm not sure if you understand the way that this works, but it's not Palm's decision to one day say "you know, let's release a new treo for every carrier." The wireless carriers are Palm's customers (at least for the Treo), not the consumer like you and me. So its T-Mobile, VZW, Cing, Sprint that decide IF they'll carry a Treo/Palm product.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I'm not sure if you understand the way that this works, but it's not Palm's decision to one day say "you know, let's release a new treo for every carrier." The wireless carriers are Palm's customers (at least for the Treo), not the consumer like you and me. So its T-Mobile, VZW, Cing, Sprint that decide IF they'll carry a Treo/Palm product.
    Yeah, the unfortunate truth is that we (the people with the wallets) are only able to exert indirect pressure to get Treos stocked in inventory at the carriers' stores. Palm thinks that the carriers are their customers? Then they are in the same position that garment manufacturers are in -- selling to department stores. And the department store buyers are typically young, inexperienced, and fickle, trying with great desperation to guess what we, the consumers, want.

Why not sell directly to the consumers? Take out that joker in the deck--the middleman?

I think this is going to slowly change, especially on the GSM side. Look at how Nokia and Motorola are slowly and cautiously rolling out retail stores. Even Palm has retail outlets. Look at how HTC (formerly a nondescript and anonymous manufacturer) is stepping forward to assert itself as a retail brand. All of these are efforts to bypass the carriers and deal straight with us.

We, after all, have the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Yeah, the unfortunate truth is that we (the people with the wallets) are only able to exert indirect pressure to get Treos stocked in inventory at the carriers' stores. Palm thinks that the carriers are their customers? Then they are in the same position that garment manufacturers are in -- selling to department stores. And the department store buyers are typically young, inexperienced, and fickle, trying with great desperation to guess what we, the consumers, want.

Why not sell directly to the consumers? Take out that joker in the deck--the middleman?

I think this is going to slowly change, especially on the GSM side. Look at how Nokia and Motorola are slowly and cautiously rolling out retail stores. Even Palm has retail outlets. Look at how HTC (formerly a nondescript and anonymous manufacturer) is stepping forward to assert itself as a retail brand. All of these are efforts to bypass the carriers and deal straight with us.

We, after all, have the money.
    I disagree that they are trying to get us to buy directly from them. I still tihnk that moto, palm, nokia want us to go through the carrier. But since carriers have different ODMs, they are just trying to market themselves as the best choice. Besides, only a small fraction of cellular users are willing to pay the full "unlocked" price for a phone. When someone can get a razr for $50 vs. $300 unlocked, which do you think they'll go with? They'll go with the contract and pay significantly less. Palm's customer is and will remain the carriers. Until Americans are willing to part with their money, this won't change. We even have people on here that expect that the Treo 680 should be $99 without a contract (unlocked price)! That is just how unrealistic consumers are, therefore Palm really has no interest in trying to appease the general consumer market. Plus, these phones usually have to get tested on the carrier's network. If a customer has an issue with an unlocked device, the carrier won't help out. And Palm won't have the solutions a lot of the time because they won't have access to the customer's information on their carrier.
    gadgetluva,

I guess I should have thought that one out a little more before I posted...LOL. Thanks for the info.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLuce View Post
    gadgetluva,

I guess I should have thought that one out a little more before I posted...LOL. Thanks for the info.
    No problem, I love TC forums, almost everyone is willing to take some time to explain anything, including business

In all honesty, you can probably blame the "average american" for slower technology acceptance. I used to work for VZW during college, and every customer wanted EVERYTHING for free. Free phone, free headset, free insurance, free internet....and when it came to buying anything, they'd go for the cheapest option. In other countries, people are willing to pay half of their paycheck to get the latest and greatest, not just the small niche group of enthusiasts over here. Sigh.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast