1.    #1  
    The 680 is being marketed as the smartphone for everyone. Palm seems to have high expectations that the 680 will reach more mainstream users especially due to the aggressive pricing. They are anticipating the highest sales for this device. And yes - it uses Palm OS. Why do people think that they are abandoning the Palm OS and that Plam OS is dead? Google seems to have made a commitment to the Palm OS.

I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts as I have been contemplating a switch to WM5 with one of the reasons being the Palm OS was dying.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Its not dead, but its been rotting for a while now. the Palm OS is effectively dead - any later incarnations will be branded as "Access" and we won't be seeing many more POS devices before the branding takes effect. There have been no major updated to the POS in almost 4 years. The underlying platform is weak. POS DOES do some things well, thanks to its simplicity. However, now that simplicity is working against it. POS can't even support UMTS/HSDPA because POS can't multitask. That's a HUGE limitation. Also, compare the GUI of the POS to WM5 devices - WM5 is more colorful, modern, and customizable out of the box. Overall, POS looks like an OS from the 90s...although the attractiveness of the OS is subjective, there really is no denying that it is dated.
    Load up google maps. Now go to your contacts apps to get an address. Go back to google maps. Load it up again.

Thats whats wrong with PalmOS.

Surur
    Google Maps (the app) might be a bad example to use, surur--at least on my Zodiac, if I exit Google Maps, when I go back in, it loads the last page I was on.

(I know there are apps that don't cache or save their state, though.)
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    Yup, that's wrong for Palm to make us wait 1-2 seconds to load up an app.
    Actually I tested going to goggle maps, search for location, then went to contacts, pulled up address and went back to goggle maps, guessy guessy. No reload of app, it was still in the background on same spot of what I searched before going into contacts. Still....I want that 680 just for its sleek appearance and color
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    The POS is dead in the same way that OS 9 was dead for Apple once OS X was announced. The next iteration of POS, known for now as ALP, will be an entirely different code base, rewritten from the ground up. There will most likely be some sort of emulation mode, similar to Classic on the Mac, allowing ALP to run old POS apps, but native ALP apps will be able to take full advantage of the new OS, and old emulated apps probably won't. So sooner or later, developers will have to make their apps native (i.e., rewrite them from scratch), and people will shift over slowly to an all-native lineup. Thus, what is now known as the POS will effectively become extinct.

Some developers will offer free upgrades to these new native apps, but most will probably charge for this conversion, to make up for their costs.

So whether or not you choose to switch to WM5 shouldn't be based solely on a desire to protect your past investment in POS apps. Chances are, you'll be buying all new apps eventually, anyway. Sticking with the POS is more a statement that you appreciate the original user-centric Palm philosophy—"counting taps", if you will—and you're hoping that the new ALP will be centered on that philosophy, while still offering a more powerful OS for the 21st century.

I just hope that Access can pull that off. Basing the OS on Linux is a good start, just as basing OS X on Unix was. But balancing ease of use with power is a real challenge. Apple has been struggling with it ever since the first version of OS X, and they still don't always get it right.

Next year is going to be a very revealing year for Palm and Access.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com