Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Knight View Post
    0.3 MP camera???? What is Palm smoking to believe wireless consumers who are continually becoming more tech savy each year will be lining up to buy a device with an outdated camera? By now they should be using a minimum 1.3 MP camera with an L.E.D. flash which is offered by other competitors including RIM (ie: Blackberry 8100 Pearl). After all some camera phones now support 2 MP with L.E.D. flash.

    As for better bluetooth when they can actually provide bluetooth voice dialing included with all their Treos not just the Windows based ones then they'll actually care what smartphone consumers think about their products. Most Treo users are not teenagers and live busy lifestyles that require a smartphone to help organize their life. Whether driving to work, taking the kids to sports, etc it would be nice to be able to use a wireless bluetooth headset to switch between callers on callwaiting or dial with out needing to actually touch the device. Unfortunately for PalmOS users that's not an option.
    ever think that its probably too difficult to implement voice dialing on the aging PalmOS, a device that had to be hacked in order to run a phone on it? And bluetooth voice dialing isn't exactly a feature that most consumers want or even care/know about.

    And the 750 will be more than double the price of the 680. See, there's a reason why the 680 lacks the features of its bigger brother - pricepoint. The only argument that you have that i agree with is the .3mp camera. No matter the quality, people just want a "better" camera and 1.3 or 2.0 will always be better than .3
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    ever think that its probably too difficult to implement voice dialing on the aging PalmOS, a device that had to be hacked in order to run a phone on it? And bluetooth voice dialing isn't exactly a feature that most consumers want or even care/know about.

    Can't tell from your profile where you live but here in Canada busy cities like Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, etc it's more typical to see people using bluetooth headsets not only while driving but also while taking the train and even walking. I even use my bluetooth headset with my workstation so I can voice chat with family, friends and clients while having use of both my hands on the keyboard or just walking around the office. Why shouldn't we have the same flexibility with the Treo? Bluetooth voice dialing is a function very useful for smartphone users. Have you ever been on a call with someone where you needed to look up information and wanted the ability to do this with out stopping the conversation? Don't you believe it's safer to keep both hands on the wheel while driving instead of holding a cellphone up to your ear with only one hand on the wheel? What about all those Treo customers around the world who work in emergency services? Wouldn't you think they would find handsfree access to their Treo a useful function? Why limit bluetooth to just voice dialing as Palm could implement the ability for voice command to switch between documents with out the need for third party software from companies like http://www.voiceit-tech.com/ Try to think outside the box by keeping an open mind to the possibilities available to Treo customers if Palm would actually implement current technology that's available.
    Last edited by Dark_Knight; 10/15/2006 at 01:29 PM.
  3. #23  
    When you say "most Treo users", you mean the ones now, not the new ones that the Treo 680 is aimed for. Is the 680 right for everyone? Obviously not. Do you want a Corolla? Probably not, and neither would I. Heck, I would go for an Celica GT-Four, which would be roughly equivalent to a 750 with ALP or whatever. And on top of that I'll probably try to get as much power out of that powerplant as possible, like what I've tried to do with my Treo 650. haha I'm no good with car metaphors.

    The point I think most people have to realize that "new" doesn't mean "for the TC forum folks". The 680 is kinda like the Tungsten E2 of the Treo lot. Well, not that bad, but you get the idea. It's not a perfect phone even for the consumer market, but hey, it's a step in the right direction.

    Now let's just hope they sell enough 680s to be still around for next year.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange


    Canuck PDA
  4. #24  
    Ive become firmly of the opinion that PDA functions do not sell outside of business. For the consumer market Palm needs to use the smarts of the device for consumer interests. We are talking about things like streaming music from people's hard drive at home, uploading photos to flickr and videos to youtube, threaded SMS, buying music from an online catalog from the device itself, good web browsing, podcasting, list making, games games games, mp3 ringtones etc.

    Of course Palm are doing many of these things, and for that I applaud them, but they need to do more and more of it. A VGA camera does not say consumer market to me unfortunately. Even the sidekick has a 1 Megapixel camera.

    Surur
  5. #25  
    You sure about that? They have email, calender and contacts on almost every phone now. Sure they may not be as robust as on business models, but they're there.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Knight View Post
    Can't tell from your profile where you live but here in Canada busy cities like Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, etc it's more typical to see people using bluetooth headsets not only while driving but also while taking the train and even walking. I even use my bluetooth headset with my workstation so I can voice chat with family, friends and clients while having use of both my hands on the keyboard or just walking around the office. Why shouldn't we have the same flexibility with the Treo? Bluetooth voice dialing is a function very useful for smartphone users. Have you ever been on a call with someone where you needed to look up information and wanted the ability to do this with out stopping the conversation? Don't you believe it's safer to keep both hands on the wheel while driving instead of holding a cellphone up to your ear with only one hand on the wheel? What about all those Treo customers around the world who work in emergency services? Wouldn't you think they would find handsfree access to their Treo a useful function? Why limit bluetooth to just voice dialing as Palm could implement the ability for voice command to switch between documents with out the need for third party software from companies like http://www.voiceit-tech.com/ Try to think outside the box by keeping an open mind to the possibilities available to Treo customers if Palm would actually implement current technology that's available.
    Try thinking about what I said - that it might be too difficult to do any of that with the PalmOS. It can very well be a POS reason, and since Access really isn't developing it anymore, I doubt it'll be made available. Palm, the company as it is now, isn't really in charge of the OS.

    And I work in one of the biggest cities in the country. From what I see on my daily commute to/from the office is that people that actually use a bluetooth headset use it for is talking.

    And I'm not sure what you're saying with this:
    "Have you ever been on a call with someone where you needed to look up information and wanted the ability to do this with out stopping the conversation?" How exactly are you going to look something up using your bluetooth headset when you're already using it to talk to that person?

    And this:
    "Don't you believe it's safer to keep both hands on the wheel while driving instead of holding a cellphone up to your ear with only one hand on the wheel?"

    Yea it is safer, but first of all, if you really want to be safe, you wouldn't be making a bunch of phone calls while driving. Secondly, if you DO have to dial someone, you can just do a speed dial, and then set the phone down and keep talking while on the phone. Third, if someone calls you, you still have to press the send key on the headset to accept the call in most cases, meaning you have to steer using only one hand for a bit. I also guess trying a manual is dangerous because you have to use one hand to shift and only have one hand to steer?
    Last edited by gadgetluva; 10/15/2006 at 08:06 PM.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Ive become firmly of the opinion that PDA functions do not sell outside of business. For the consumer market Palm needs to use the smarts of the device for consumer interests. We are talking about things like streaming music from people's hard drive at home, uploading photos to flickr and videos to youtube, threaded SMS, buying music from an online catalog from the device itself, good web browsing, podcasting, list making, games games games, mp3 ringtones etc.

    Of course Palm are doing many of these things, and for that I applaud them, but they need to do more and more of it. A VGA camera does not say consumer market to me unfortunately. Even the sidekick has a 1 Megapixel camera.

    Surur
    but the camera is also a very small part of the larger equation. I did a poll on a different forum that is mostly college students/early 20s and most don't even use their cameras on their phone. I'm sure people are more interested in the KB, music/movie capabilities and internet than the camera.
  8. #28  
    I don't use the camera either. Although I think it's good for impromptu moments.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  9. #29  
    I'm a loyal Verizon customer and will stay due to the better coverage than Cingular and other carriers. So, I'm going to be stuck until this 750 comes to Verizon with EVDO. Keeping my fingers crossed that it'll be sooner than later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions