Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I love my treo 700p, but sometimes its just a pain to lug around. Just wondering if other people feel the same way and if there are any good suggestions/ideas...
    My best suggestion would be to move to a GSM provider and get a small second phone. It's easy to switch the SIMs around. Perhaps a 680 or 750 and then a razor.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Yes, I have a very tiny (but capable) phone that I use when I don't want/need to carry my Treo.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    No...I am trying to build a house.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I think the size is great, and can't imagine trying to get by with anything smaller. Also, I can't imagine getting by without the convenience of having everything I put into it right at hand. Even to the point of being able to play solitaire one handed while standing in line.
    I have a Treo 650 which I have for persoanl use. My company started ordering Treo's all the entire IT Dept, so since I already had one, I was able to use mine and get it expensed for a LONG time. Now they have switched over to the PPC 6700 (not a brick but more like a cinder block) and yes I hate it. I still carry my Treo and also the PPC 6700. After using the PPC all day, the Treo feels like a Razr at the end of the day.....LOL.
    Last edited by ChrisLuce; 10/12/2006 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Spelling Correction
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    I felt the same way and switched from a Treo 650 to an LG Fusic (a great phone, BTW) at the beginning of June.

By September 1st, I had gone and purchased a Treo 700p...I couldn't get used to T9 txt messaging, the very limited screen real estate for mobile web browsing, and a dozen other things I had come to rely on with a Treo.

One thing that may help...when I got my 700p, I bought the Palm leather side holster (with magnetic flap). I swore I would never wear my cell phone like a six-shooter, but it is really very nice. I hardly even notice it's there and I don't have a brick in my pocket anymore.
    How can they make it much smaller for what you get? It has a nice keyboard, a relatively large screen, and a decent battery.
    I don't want my Treo any smaller. I am tired of overminiaturization.
    I am in the middle of an experiment -- SDA vs. Treo 650. The SDA has the size advantage and T9 is, well, adequate at best after you've had a full keyboard at your disposal. Maybe over time I'll get better. Windows Mobile is excellent.

The major problem I have with the SDA is that it does not acquire signal easily. The Treo gets fine reception in my office but the SDA can sit for 4 hours on "searching." This "searching" problem is a known issue with the SDA/MDA if you search HoFo.

Signal saga part 2: I was at my daughter's soccer practice last night. 4 bars T-Mobile coverage. I look down again, nothing. Then I'm roaming on Cingular. Peh.

I was full of evangelical fervor for getting a tiny phone. Now I'm seeing the benefit of full QWERTY. I may do the 2 phone routine. A small WM smartphone and a 750 would do me just fine.

I am 2 days into the 30 day cancellation period for the SDA. I'll drive it hard at least until the 25th when the Dash comes out. I will also take the Pearl out for a test drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    How can they make it much smaller for what you get? It has a nice keyboard, a relatively large screen, and a decent battery.
    Have to agree, it couldn't be much smaller and still be so functional. For years my wife had a T300 and I carried a compact cell. I got by since it had limited web access and I was able to use it to DUN with my notebook. Of course that meant I needed to take the notebook as well as the Palm from work for appointments. Anyway, the wife upgrade to T650 and so did I. Now I usually only take the Treo in a Krusell case on my belt (others carry it in their pants pocket). Most trips, thats all I take unless I want GPS and then I just put the Tomtom receiver in my pocket (smaller that most cells). I can pop it into the car mount and navigate, stream internet radio or play MP3files, check emails and receive calls. Overall, it's a nicely sized unit and once I get the short antenna, it will be near perfect for my needs.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    I also have trouble with the smaller phones, maybe I just got use to the T600 size, I would much rather LUG around a treo than my clie' Ipod and motorola phone.
    No. But I do wish Treo is made of better material so I don't have to carry the leather case with it.

For example the Q doesn't need a case becuase the shell is not god damn soft plastic. I played with my friend's Zire 72 for a bit. Oh how I wish the Treo has the same aluminum shell.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Somebody needs to take Samsung's lead and make a flip phone running the latest Palm OS a la I-500.

gottago...
    the treo is a brick. not sure what your personal needs and wants are but the Pearl has been a godsend for me. i laugh when i pull open the drawer and see the old 700w, it seems almost prehistoric. so happy i don't have to own one.
  16.    #16  
    It would just be nice to be able to carry a small phone around for when i want to cut the grass, go on a long run (so i can dial 911 if i start feeling chest pains) or when i go to the football games and worry that in my drunken stooper i drop it. Going GSM and SIM swappin would be ideal, but i am stuck on Verizon for another year or so.
    Since I am playing the SIM-swapping game right now with the SDA and the Treo, I gotta admit I'm conflicted. I like the smallness of the SDA. (Good running phone size). I like the full keyboard on the Treo.

Funny that the previous poster should mention a desire to move to GSM. I constantly wonder whether I should move over to Sprint or Verizon.
    I like my brick! It controls the universe... who doesn't want a phone that can control the universe?

On a Wednesday at 12:00 noon on the 26th week of the year, the Treo will drop my call. At that very moment, a mugger will come up behind me with a gun. In frustration I will turn around and throw my 650 which will hit him square in the head and bounce to the ground, causing slight tremors in certain parts of the world. Those tremors will use constructive interference which will in turn cause the Earth to fall off it's axis and hurl out into the depths of space. The planet will eventually beat the rate of expansion of the universe and we will all cease to exist in the domain of time. And all thanks to Ed Colligan and his revolutionary brick.

Okay, I need some sleep...

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode View Post
    I like my brick! It controls the universe... who doesn't want a phone that can control the universe?

On a Wednesday at 12:00 noon on the 26th week of the year, the Treo will drop my call. At that very moment, a mugger will come up behind me with a gun. In frustration I will turn around and throw my 650 which will hit him square in the head and bounce to the ground, causing slight tremors in certain parts of the world. Those tremors will use constructive interference which will in turn cause the Earth to fall off it's axis and hurl out into the depths of space. The planet will eventually beat the rate of expansion of the universe and we will all cease to exist in the domain of time. And all thanks to Ed Colligan and his revolutionary brick.

Okay, I need some sleep...
    Yeah, you ARE thinking too much. Very funny!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    I don't want my Treo any smaller. I am tired of overminiaturization.
    I totally agree with you. IMO...I have to have some type of device to my device so call it. I don't like my flip phones or PDA's to small or skinny, then I feel their performance might be lacking because of. Too small means less battery life...too small means less screen...too small could hinder reception, who knows.
    at&t iPhone3G
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast