Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    who are they? are they all of your colleagues, family members, friends, and the like or just a numbered many that traffic this wonderful website? is it simply self declaration? are you a "power user" because you create pivot tables or macros in excel on your pda even though you can't? what constitutes one, how is one defined or labeled? is it by the number of 3rd party apps you have installed or is it the "today screen" that you proudly display? is it allegiance or is it branding, or perhaps owning what everyone else does? most all of these devices offer phone service, office programs, internet access, cameras/video, and the like, out of the box. are you a power user because you have to utilize 3rd party programs over and beyond what is oem offered? or is a power user someone who doesn't know how/when to invest in a laptop if so able?

trivial perhaps, but intriguing and interesting nonetheless.
    I think it is those who use their phones as a laptop "replacement" because they don't want to carry a heavy laptop around, but still want the functionality.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #3  
    ahhh.....Lady Diva.....good evening to you.

as for your response....that population of users must be a very, very, small % of the statistical universe. no? i am a business professional, perhaps you are as well. i couldn't come close to doing anything other than responding to emails, accessing the internet, viewing docs, speaking on the phone, and checking my calendar/contacts on my device. if you needed to do more than that, how could you possibly do it "efficiently and effectively" on a handheld device? i will argue that a pda/smartphone cannot come close in offering the "same" functionality as a laptop. i suppose it's what the user is willing to "do without" that might make he/she a power user.
    Last edited by oalvarez; 10/10/2006 at 10:11 PM.
    I do it all on my Treo, no more laptop. PC at times for the big things, but rare. My Treo has seen it, done it all.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  5.    #5  
    for the record, and to be fair, laptops are pc equivalents, today. a pda/smartphone is not. that does not mean that "you" can't do what you need on your pda. what you do on your pda is the question.
    However Rhino, a laptop is so much better on the eyesight, speakers are better, no website restrictions, etc. I guess it will boil down to how much you're on the computer to begin with and what exactly you do when you're on.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    BTW, what do you think about the phones that are turning into iPods and cameras? The convergent device thing is seriously catching on, whether we like it or not.

I think it is possible for a PDA/smartphone to "almost" be a replacement for a computer, for the right kind of job or lifestyle.

However, I'm thinking that oalvarez is on the right track. I am looking at what I REALLY do with my Treo, not the "gee whiz it CAN do this . . . but I just haven't gotten around to it yet" features. Video. Audio. GPS. Etc. Those are things I could do if I wanted to, but it would be just to prove a point.

My particular needs are knowing what I'm supposed to be doing (tasks/calendar), where I'm supposed to be (calendar), and how to get in touch with someone (phone/text/email).

I know what my needs are because I'm drawn irresistably in the direction of exploring those capabilities on my phone.

Yeah, oalvarez. The SDA is going back to T-Mobile in the morning because of ActiveSync issues (might try downloading the latest version from M/soft before I do), but I'm getting a phone that does just what I need it to do.

On topic, I think a power user is someone who has a tool and uses it fully. On that definition I am not a Treo power user. I used the installed software (mostly) and a few 3rd party programs. That's it. The Treo's mostly stock. Just a few aftermarket items.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    ahhh.....Lady Diva.....good evening to you.

as for your response....that population of users must be a very, very, small % of the statistical universe. no? i am a business professional, perhaps you are as well. i couldn't come close to doing anything other than responding to emails, accessing the internet, viewing docs, speaking on the phone, and checking my calendar/contacts on my device. if you needed to do more than that, how could you possibly do it "efficiently and effectively" on a handheld device? i will argue that a pda/smartphone cannot come close in offering the "same" functionality as a laptop. i suppose it's what the user is willing to "do without" that might make he/she a power user.
    I agree...My Treo could never replace my notebook.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I think another thing classifies someone as a power user...

Someone who hacks the registry. It amazing ther # of folks who just use their treos right out of the box and never change the today screen themes, never open the settings window, never download any UI tweakers or java or 3rd party apps like Total Commander. In my book, someone who's Treo is significantly different in behavior and UI, vs. the stock model, classifies as a power-user.
    A power user, by definition, is someone who knows more about a Treo 650 than I do.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Don't get me wrong, I love 'em all, I just seem to use my Treo more.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    My Treo could not replace my Tablet, BUT since I moved from a standard issue cellphone to my Treo eighteen months ago I find myself toting my Tablet around less and less...
    A laptop in my line of work can not be replaced by a PDA/Smartphone. The PDAphone is a supplement. There is a large amount of travel for my job. With that comes a busy schedule. Also, I have to know the latest regulations in the financial world, given that it's a new FASB pronouncement that has to do with stock options or a new law passed by congress. The PDAphone helps me research the topic and gain insight on the particular situation at hand. Then you have more personal things, liek text messages, streaming live tv using orb, or videogames
    I don't have a laptop, I have a desktop (for various reasons, including that I need the extra power for my usage of it). Because of this, my Treo really is a replacement for a laptop. Whether it's to play a game (although lately my DS Lite has been taking care of those duties), to use as an mp3 player, for chat, for typing up office documents, there's really not much that I would do on my PC that I can't do on the Treo, with the exception of maybe powerpoint. In fact, my Treo is the only thing I use for email anymore, I don't even bother to check it on my PC.

I think the most telling thing that someone is a Treo Power User is when they could go a week without their computers, but not a day without their Treo.
    My treo doesn't have the realistate that I need for viewing via 17" widescreen on my notebook, and the power and capacity for what I do for work and leisure. My treo is just an extension that I use if I don't have my notebook with me. Even though the 17" is extra to lug around...I love my notebook so much I don't mind because I am on my notebook constantly. I am on it now...I would be a full posting on my Treo when I have my wireless notebook at my disposal. When I am on the go and don't have my notebook, then the Treo stock goes way up. Don't get me wrong...I do love my Treo.
    at&t iPhone3G
    For me - a day without the Treo - that has never happened.

Ben
    I have yet to actually purchase a Treo, but am hoping to before the end of the year. However, I have been an avid, almost obsessive PDA user for the past 6 or so years, and this topic has often baffled me. The power user...?

I may be considered a power user, as I feel I use the apps on my Clie to their full potential, and don't go a single day without using it. In fact, I almost panic if I have forgotten it at home (which doesn't happen often). I bought it because I needed something portable to keep track of things, and because of the vast amount of other applications available should I want/need them.

I use my Clie basically for the PIM applications, just as I would a treo. However, I also use it to keep track of my gas mileage and auto maintanance, to read books on, for Bible study, to take notes on in classes, and many other things.

After I got my first color pda, I had a friend who bought one, mostly out of jealousy, and then his father got one. Both ended up selling them because they really didn't need them, just wanted the cool toy. One friend even said he didn't need a PDA when he had his laptop. However, I don't feasibly see myself carrying a laptop into the mall with me just for a shopping list, or having it in my car every time I fill up. For me, the PDA/smartphone works better.

Granted, it doesn't replace my desktop for photoshop, working on my site, and big games, but it still meets more of my day-to-day needs. So am I a power user? I may be, but I don't think it gives me any special qualifications or makes me any better than any other user.

Earth, fire, wind, water, heart! By our power users combined...
    I just went on a trip in Canada. Let me tell you without unlimted data at your hand it's very painful.
    A power user is someone who reads the manual, "plays" with the device, and determined to figure things out on their own... without asking for too much help. I would bet a lot of us know a non-power user...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast