Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I believe I am a power user in that I use the Treo more so than the computer/Laptop. A power user simply wants to do everything that s/he did on the computer and instead do it on the Pda. IE: You can surf the web on the computer but you like to do it on the Pda, You skin your computer and you want the Pda to look just as cool, no plain interface for the power user.
    You cannot do everything on your PDA that you can do on you desktop or notebook. I would merit trying to do everything on your PDA that you could do on a computer as being a power user. Those individuals that give it a hard shot doing as much as possible in comparison to their computers.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I understand that there are some things that don't work as well on a Treo, but unless you're doing like 3d rendering or video editing or things like that, I really don't see how people are saying that theres that many things that one can do on a PC that they can't do on a Treo. Could some of you who say this give examples, because except for extreme situations like those I mentioned, I feel this is exaggerated.
  4.    #24  
    ^ here's one: try opening up a 4mb excel spreadsheet that is 2600 rows long laden with pivot tables and whose formulas are linked to bloomberg. tell me what you see and tell me if you are able to make a valid business decision given the information that is presented to you on the device. after that exercise, go to sec.gov and pull down a few juicy 10k's and 10q's and read thru them. let me know when to stop or when you might want to ditch your Treo for the closest laptop you can find.

you can't do it all on a Treo and for that matter, most any smartphone/pda out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    ^ here's one: try opening up a 4mb excel spreadsheet that is 2600 rows long laden with pivot tables and whose formulas are linked to bloomberg. tell me what you see and tell me if you are able to make a valid business decision given the information that is presented to you on the device. after that exercise, go to sec.gov and pull down a few juicy 10k's and 10q's and read thru them. let me know when to stop or when you might want to ditch your Treo for the closest laptop you can find.

you can't do it all on a Treo and for that matter, most any smartphone/pda out there.
    LMAO...You are too funny alverez. Too true.
    at&t iPhone3G
  6.    #26  
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts

Can I get a copy of that spreadsheet?

gottago...

See this is something that I see as another extreme use though. I hadn't considered the fact that DocstoGo doesn't include every possible formula component so I didn't think about something like that, but I still say that 90% of people can replace their laptop for portable computing functions with a Treo. I'm not saying I'd want it as the only computing device I'd have, but as a laptop replacement I think thats different.

I personally had a laptop for about a month, with the idea of bringing it around for when I needed a computer while travelling, but ended up not bringing it anywhere because it was too unwieldy really. Its the same with a digital camera, the times that I really would love to have a camera or a laptop always ended up being the times I didn't have it with me. After returning the laptop because it was having heat issues anyway, I decided that the portability wasn't important to me, since it ended up never going anywhere anyway. I got the Treo 600 and then the times where I actually wanted a portable computer with me, I then had them.

I still need a desktop computer for some uses, (heres an example I could give of needing a desktop as well, but I guess I just tend to separate portable work and serious work) such as making chemical figures using ChemOffice, but that tends to be something which I need to do at home, not while traveling.
    here is my $.02

Power User = A user that pushes the device to or past its extreme limits
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Earth, fire, wind, water, heart! By our power users combined...
    I like that

I'm definitely a power user. I've had Treos for nearly 3 years now & in that time I've come to be known as the "resident Treo genius" over on HowardForums. I push my device to & beyond it's limits & use it to it's fullest potential. It replaces my laptop when I need it to, last week my hard drive died & while I was repairing it, I did just fine with only my Treo. It has replaced several other devices & is the only thing I make sure I never leave the house without. If I forget it, I will go back for it even if I've already gone 20 miles. It's my lifeline, my entertainment, my database, my internet access, you name it.

I remember once when I broke it & had to wait a few weeks for a new one, It was hell. I was miserable.

Go ahead & say it- "If you love it so much why don't you marry it!". Trust me, if I could, I would!

Now that i've thoroughly embarrassed myself, I shall depart...
    oalvarez, We have had this discussion several times over the last year or two as you have posed these same questions in various discussions. It is always an interesting question to see the different needs of each individual users and how they meet those needs with today's technology. My answer is still pretty much the same....

I have had many classify me on several boards as a power user....and would have to agree (whatever the definition is) that I do probably qualify. Due to my professional needs....and personal natural geeky nature...I have always pushed my PDAs to the limits:
    • tweaked them to do what I wanted (even it meant figuring our the reg hacks myself),
    • voice & data communication (email, SMS, phone),
    • internet access (surfing, VPN, to the minute updates, remote controlling my work computer in the office),
    • office needs (Doc, PDFs, PowerPoint, and spreadsheets) including PIM (live & die by calendar and contacts)
    • Navigation. I use my BT GPS with iGuidance every week with several weeks on a daily basis.
    • Entertainment (watching movies, listening to Sirius, watching TV, games, stream music, remote control my Tivo at home, MP3 player with 1 gig of music)
    • Reference. While on the road it is my calculator, converter of measurements, source for the up to the minute news headlines, updated weather where ever I am, local movie times, 411 contact lookup, etc..

I have always recognized that I am probably NOT the norm in as much there is probably not a lot of users who could identify with all of my needs & wants, but most users can probably relate to several individual ones.

Here is my opinion of my own PDA. It is absolutely vital to my professional life...and I am admittedly addicted to my PDA during my free time. In no way can my PDA be a laptop/desktop replacement....but it does fill in the need of my laptop when a laptop is not practical or even an option. Here my last response to the same question from oalvarez:

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    You imply that I would rather use my 2 inch screen to view and edit a spreadsheet, pull up stats, browse to a webpage, etc.... I obviously would rather use my laptop whenever I possibly can. But there are several situations that my professional needs require the benefit of a larger screen because it is NOT always practical (or even a possibility) to always use a laptop.
    • I am on the road in a car and need to view my up-to-the-minute stats, so I log in and remote control my computer at work to look them up. Landscape mode is a real benefit here. And I then need to compare that to the spreadsheet that was just emailed to me 4 minutes ago so I can advise the VP of how to proceed in his meeting that starts in less than 12 minutes.
    • I am in the field and a brand new updated spreadsheet is emailed to me. Laptop not even an option to get the data until after I get back to the hotel room or office which may be too late to act on the data.
    • I have to often times work within retail locations. It would prove to be very challenging to carry around a laptop along the aisles while working with product and the store management just to check / modify spreadsheet data.
    • I am in a meeting and need some stats fast, but do not want to draw special attention with accessing my laptop or flipping through pages of spreadsheets. Especially if some of the information has just been emailed to me.
    • I use GPS A LOT and the bigger screen is luxurious advantage.
    • I am in an over crowded plane in the middle seat with two large people on either side where I cannot think of using my laptop but need to review info
    • Just because I want to
    And since I have successfully done each the above for the past 2 YEARS, then yes you guessed right, my out of office needs can
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    "actually get done, successfully, using the 6600 or equivalent devices".
    I do not count this as a tribute to my infinite handheld wizardry genius, but rather to the feature set of my phone....the PPC-6600....and the software currently available to make all it happen.

Whenever looking to buy a phone, if you are aware of the pros and cons and the pros do what you need to do and you can live with or work around the cons, then you found the perfect phone! As I always say.....there is never a perfect phone that will fit everyone's needs. But there is a perfect phone for each individual's needs.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=124102
    As far as Multitasking.....On a WM device, For example I can start to load a web page. Then I look up a number in a spreadsheet while the webpage in the background is loading. In the mean time my GPS program is running keeping track of where my co-worker is driving so we do not miss our exit on the freeway with my iBlue BT GPS unit. Since we are using the GPS I had my Phone in a windshield mount, so I was using my Think Outside BT keyboard and BT mouse to navigate and type on the phone. All this time we are playing MP3s and sending them to the rental car's radio via my FM mod. At the same time my email program is running in the background and just notified me I got an important email from my boss. After I am done reading it (while listening to the MP3s), I switch back to the web page that is now fully loaded (see it was working while I was doing the other stuff). My co-worker asks me to look up a phone number a local contact of his that he forgot the phone number for, so I load up PocketExpress to use 411 to find the number and since I cannot find a pen, I use BugMe to write down the phone number I found with Pocket Express. I then use one of my Wisbar utility's task switcher that is running and I go back to the GPS program that has been constantly keeping track of our progress this whole time in the background to verify that we still have 2.76 miles until our exit on the right.

So in this real life example that happened to me less than 30 days ago I was using all of the following software at the same time very effectively while still only viewing each one at a time:
    • SPB Pocket Plus -- allowed me to open more than one PIE window at a time
    • PIE -- Pulling up a webpage, multiple windows loading at the same time
    • Media Player -- MP3s
    • iGuidance -- GPS voice prompt direction software
    • Pocket Informant -- PIM
    • WebIs Mail -- Email
    • Wisbar -- Graphical enhanced interface offering cascading menus and task manager
    • Phone -- always there
    • ClearVue Worksheet -- Excel Spreadsheet program
    • BugMe -- Virtual pen and paper for scribbling notes down.
    • Think Outside BT Keyboard & Mouse utility
    • Pocket Express -- Read the latest news, sports, weather, look up contacts with 411, check stocks, etc...

Other programs I had running at the same time that I was not actively using at the time but were there if needed or working in the background:
    • Marware WeatherPanel -- Today weather plug-in with current radar
    • PocketBreeze -- Today plug-in summarizing email inbox and calendar at a glance
    • ContactBreeze -- Fastest way to dial on WM IMHO
    • SPB Time -- Screen saver and Alarm utility
    All of this running and I never stopped to think if I could, or if I should, only that I needed it and I did it.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 10/17/2006 at 10:49 PM. Reason: correcting spelling
  12.    #32  
    ^ powerful, very powerful.....perhaps deservant of a new class, the "power-full user".....as for the reference you make to the screen size, more power to you. i for one couldn't even attempt to do some of the work i do on a 2x2 screen (other than phone/email/internet/calendar/contacts).

more power to you!
    Last edited by oalvarez; 10/17/2006 at 06:02 PM.
    meh... Treo and 'Power User' is worlds apart these days. Give the Non-Windows Treo some more real features like Wi-Fi, SDHC support, more useable memory, real A2DP Bluetooth support, another camera on the front, and only then I can put myself back in the realm of using a Treo and being a Power User.
    ---
    Handspring Visor Pro + Samsung 8500 (Sprint PCS) -> Handspring Treo 600 (Sprint PCS) -> Palm Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Sony-Ericsson P990 if S-E releases a North-America version
  14.    #34  
    nuff respect!
    ^ powerful, very powerful.....perhaps deservant of a new class, the "power-full user" .....
    Every time you bring up this power user issue and someone shows how they use their phone in response to you asking for it, instead of following the discussion that you initiated by asking how or why power users use their phones, you usually have a similar snarky remark when someone uses their phone beyond your own personal needs.

As it has been stated several times in this discussion in the past, it is not so much as a power user issue...or your new term of "power-full user".....but simply using the tools that are available and that are pretty easy to use and to implement with today's solutions, if they know they are available.

For some, how others use their phone is interesting and can be educational....Which is why I for one love these discussions to see how others use their phone and as I owe a great deal of what I now do with my phone on a daily basis because someone else shared their ideas of how they use their phone on these boards. I would never consider replacing my laptop with one these phones, but they are pretty powerful little tools when a laptop is not handy or practical to use.

There are others who don't give a hoot what they can do with their phone as long as it works out of the box.

Both are happy consumers. If the consumer is happy, then the phone is doing it's job perfectly.....no matter what phone it is or how much or how little the phone may be doing to make consumer sitting next to them happy as well.

i for one couldn't even attempt to do some of the work i do on a 2x2 screen (other than phone/email/internet/calendar/contacts).
    That's what you said the last couple discussions on this very topic when you brought up power users concerning screen size, or multitasking, or memory, or OS, or.... Everyone's needs are different, which provides an infinite number of solutions, and ideas on how to meet those needs.

more power to you!
    Thanks, I will gladly take all the power I can get!
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 10/17/2006 at 10:50 PM.
  16.    #36  
    it's funny. i'm the one that started the discussion, perhaps that is why you find it so interesting and educational. you're one in a million, you're the only one i know on this board that has probably spent as much time and $ on 3rd party software that might actually eclipse the cost of a micro-laptop or even a normal laptop when you consider the cost of the phone. sure, it's wonderful to have a laptop replacement (if that's what "you" wish to consider it as your business needs can actually be met on one) that you can hold in your hand, more power to you in that case. you proclaim yourself to be of a geeky nature and believe me it's more than believable and acceptable, but you shouldn't take any offense or become so defensive. yours is simply another case study, another sample, another observation, and very different than most of the 300 million people that live in this wonderful country. i remember being one of the first to own a 700w on this forum and i remember being quite the proponent of it working just fine out of the box. i made that point at will and was a happy consumer at the time until other more advanced devices made their way into the marketplace. everyone has their own opinions and beliefs, yours and mine may not be the same and that's ok. i think everyone understands how many "things" you can do with your device, you paint an almost dizzying picture, it's glorious in nature. your wizardry is obvious as you like to speak to it quite often; you're looked upon as a guru and many out there applaud you. what is also obvious is that many of us don't use our devices in that manner but that is besides the point. the point of this thread is to determine and understand what a power user is and to let he/she express their views and thoughts on the subject matter. from what i can tell there is no real such one if you apply the law of averages as the responses are that varied (probably due to the sample universe being that small). it's been a great way for some to voice their thoughts and expressions of who they feel they might be or who one is and i've enjoyed reading the responses.

as for 2x2 screens and their usability i will maintain my stance. they are the poorest choice of mediums when it comes time to doing real work and many around this place will agree. i'm happy it works for you.
    oalvarez, I do apologize if I offered any offense, it just seemed a little repetitious from multiple other discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    you're the only one i know on this board that has probably spent as much time and $ on 3rd party software that might actually eclipse the cost of a micro-laptop or even a normal laptop when you consider the cost of the phone.
    If you are interested in the personal finance of my phone, I haven't paid hardly anything for my phones since I bought my Treo 600 over 3 years ago. I usually upgrade frequently enough that I have sold my old phone with accessories to cover the cost of the new phone and often times and then some to cover a new case and car charger, etc.... As for software, it a collection of software acquired over a period of several years with a vast majority of it being anywhere from Free to $15. When a need presented itself, I looked for a solution. A lot of the programs I would have had to purchase for a laptop anyways at often times for a lot more, i.e. office suite, GPS, etc... Since most of it is directly work related, I am reimbursed for it.

sure, it's wonderful to have a laptop replacement (if that's what "you" wish to consider it as your business needs can actually be met on one) that you can hold in your hand, more power to you in that case.
    I think this is where we have a misunderstanding. I have never claimed to use my phone as a laptop replacement, just as an in the field substitute until a laptop is available. Just a tool to get me by until I can get to my laptop/desktop. Nothing more. Nothing less. I think this is the center point of the circles of discussions. This one is a case in point again. I say with air of sarcasm "I do not count this as a tribute to my infinite handheld wizardry genius, but rather to the feature set of my phone....the PPC-6600....and the software currently available to make all it happen." And you say: "your wizardry is obvious as you like to speak to it quite often". I say "In no way can my PDA be a laptop/desktop replacement....but it does fill in the need of my laptop when a laptop is not practical or even an option", then you say "it's wonderful to have a laptop replacement (if that's what "you" wish to consider it". Just circles in the discussions.

Everything else I think we agree on more than it may appear as you reiterated many of the points I already stated, my case is unique and doesn't relate to many others, everyones needs are different so they have different solutions, if the phone make the user happy it is the perfect phone, etc....
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 10/26/2006 at 08:36 PM. Reason: correcting spelling
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12