Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I'm new to this forum but a longtime Palm user. I've had a Treo 650 for a year and a half, and I can't imagine living without it.

Today while perusing some of the suggested threads for Treo 650 users, I came across a link that led me to a page on palm.com that says this:

Please note, we provide no support for use of our software or for synchronization of our devices with these operating systems:

* Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
    * Windows XP Media Center Edition
    * Windows XP Professional x64
    * Windows Server 2003
    * Windows Small Business Server 2003
    * Windows NT Server
    * Any Windows Terminal Server version
    * Dual- or Multiple-CPU computers

I read this with dismay, because I am planning to buy a new desktop, and Windows Media Center seems to be becoming the dominant form of Windows, and dual core CPUs are becoming more and more popular.

What does Palm mean by this? Do they mean that Palms and Treos won't sync at all with these operating systems and dual-core CPUs? Or is it just that if someone has a problem, Palm won't bother trying to fix it?

Is anyone here using a Palm with Windows Media Center? How does it work?

On a larger level, what is Palm thinking? If they abandon both the Palm Desktop (which appears to be the plan, since there hasn't been a new version in over a year) and Palm OS (which another thread says is also happening) then what reason would anyone have to buy a Palm?

Palm seems to be on the way to becoming just another purveyor of Windows Mobile devices, with nothing to differentiate them from any of the other WM vendors.

Please tell me that I'm wrong, and that Palm isn't working towards self-destruction here. I dislike Outlook and am especially worried by its email component's security holes.

I have to put up with Windows XP and all its foibles; please don't tell me that soon I am going to have to put up with Microsoft software on my PDA/phone as well!
    I have a sneaky suspicion that's what they want, everyone move to WM.

But Media Center is supposed to be a variant of XP Pro. It should work.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    xp mce works here no problems.
    i use windows xp media center with no problem. I have a feeling it is a support thing. by listing these, they dont have to handle support issues
    Which is not good CS, because MSFT has decided to use MCE and Vista for it's latest consumer PCs. Why exclude the new markets from getting support?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Hey I may be missreading this but what I see here is old information.
    Windows XP is now in extended support so unless you have to have XP I would avoid it, especially on a new machine. Windows Vista and onwards doesn't have Mediacentre editions of the OS. Media Centre is just an app which comes with Windows.

Here are the Windows Vista editions
    Windows Vista: Compare editions

If you purchase a Windows Vista machine after June 26th I believe there is a free (or very cheap) upgrade that MS will provide to take you to Windows 7

I have been using Windows 7 release candidate for and it is rock solid, quite cool (MS!?) and faster (MS again!??)! Windows 7 will be released on October 27th

So whichever edition you purchase you will be fine.