1.    #1  
    I'm posting this in the Future Treos forum because, like many others, I need a new phone, want a new Treo and find Palm's product release and information policy infuriating.

Last weekend my Palm-branded, unlocked GSM 650 died (not it's "fault"; result of a bad fall after the failure of a Seido case). I dug my old 600 out of a drawer and pressed it into temporary service.

(I should note that though I'm on Cingular, I will only buy an unbranded, unlocked GSM phone.)

Now the question. Repair/exchange the 650? Buy a new 650 on eBay? Wait for the 680? 750? Consider switching carriers? Consider moving to WM?

I decided I couldn't wait. The Treo is, literally, an indispensable part of my day - especially when I am travelling. So I reluctantly decided to do the repair/exchange thing with Palm for $169. Then I saw they have their Advance Exchange program for $25 where they'll send the replacement before receiving your damaged phone.

But I needed quick action. I called Customer Care to see if shipment could be expedited. The very helpful and knowledgable CSR (truly; not being facetious here) said they had no standard arrangement for that and that it would ship 2-3 days after I placed my Advance Exchange order on the website.

Disappointed but with few alternatives, I placed the order on the website yesterday. In the "Notes" field I prominently asked them to expedite the shipment and send via overnight delivery if possible. I wasn't optimistic.

To my amazement, this morning my "new" 650 was at my office before 10:00 AM.

Of course, that's the way it should be. That's the kind of service we provide in my business. But this is so rare in this realm, that I found it especially worthy of some note.

Palm did the right thing; did it without hassle; and, most importantly, took care of my needs as a customer.

So, while they catch a lot of flack - often justifiably - I thought it important to give them credit when they perform well!
    Now go curse out Seidio, LOL!!

Glad to see things worked out for you with Palm!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    WOW. You mean you actually got to speak with someone you could understand.The few times I've called I had a hard time hearing or understanding what they were saying.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by R-Treo View Post
    I'm posting this in the Future Treos forum because, like many others, I need a new phone, want a new Treo and find Palm's product release and information policy infuriating.

Last weekend my Palm-branded, unlocked GSM 650 died (not it's "fault"; result of a bad fall after the failure of a Seido case). I dug my old 600 out of a drawer and pressed it into temporary service.

(I should note that though I'm on Cingular, I will only buy an unbranded, unlocked GSM phone.)

Now the question. Repair/exchange the 650? Buy a new 650 on eBay? Wait for the 680? 750? Consider switching carriers? Consider moving to WM?

I decided I couldn't wait. The Treo is, literally, an indispensable part of my day - especially when I am travelling. So I reluctantly decided to do the repair/exchange thing with Palm for $169. Then I saw they have their Advance Exchange program for $25 where they'll send the replacement before receiving your damaged phone.

But I needed quick action. I called Customer Care to see if shipment could be expedited. The very helpful and knowledgable CSR (truly; not being facetious here) said they had no standard arrangement for that and that it would ship 2-3 days after I placed my Advance Exchange order on the website.

Disappointed but with few alternatives, I placed the order on the website yesterday. In the "Notes" field I prominently asked them to expedite the shipment and send via overnight delivery if possible. I wasn't optimistic.

To my amazement, this morning my "new" 650 was at my office before 10:00 AM.

Of course, that's the way it should be. That's the kind of service we provide in my business. But this is so rare in this realm, that I found it especially worthy of some note.

Palm did the right thing; did it without hassle; and, most importantly, took care of my needs as a customer.

So, while they catch a lot of flack - often justifiably - I thought it important to give them credit when they perform well!
    can u plz tell the site address where u can place order for the advance exchange replacement for $25??
    My 650 also died this week and they quoted me $241 for the instant exchange. Maybe as a Californian I need to pay sales tax?

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by T-ulk View Post
    can u plz tell the site address where u can place order for the advance exchange replacement for $25??
    Call (877) 426-3777, select the options for technical support and other carrier. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $this$ $ONLY$ $works$ $for$ $unlocked$ $phones$ $bought$ $from$ $Palm$.
  7.    #7  
    Here is the link for the Advance Exchange service: http://www.palm.com/us/support/conta..._exchange.html. The charge for that was $25.

Here is the link to the page that shows that price. Scroll down to the unlocked GSM 650 and look to the 4th column "Advance Exchange". The $25 price is immediately to the right. http://www.palm.com/us/support/conta...tml#treo650gsm

As for the total cost, note on the same table that they charge more for the replacement phone if you order by phone ($199) instead of via the web ($169).

The CSR I spoke with had a strong accent which sounded Indian. Her English was highly literate and while the accent was a bit difficult to understand and required some concentration, it was very managable. (In contrast, I've had situations with Dell customer service where the Indian CSR was totally impossible to understand.) But most importantly, she was alert, attentive, very knowledable and took a very service-oriented approach.

As customer service experiences go these days, this was very, very good - both in terms of the CSR experience and the actual "fulfillment".
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    thaxx...i have unlocked ver but out of warranty and don't think spending $200 for repair is a good idea!!