1. CK1
    I hope this is the right place to post this. I am new to posting & I have almost read every area in trying to find answers to many questions. That has helped, but I have a few if you all can help... I am an old Palm user (T/2was my last device). I am with Sprint and want a Treo bad. I am really having a problem deciding which one (700p or the wx). I am not a "power user" but I don't know if the leap to wx is for me. Here are my concerns:

1) I work at an agency where I use Outlook on XP as a calendar for appt.'s. I do not have admin rights and getting them to help is like pulling teeth. I want to merge my work calendar which is on a network drive w/ my personal calendar (also Outlook) at home into ONE calendar on the Treo. I have access via internet to check my work Outlook from home if that helps. Can I do it with either one? How? Am I better off with the wx?

2) I played with both of them at the Sprint store and found out I could beam some data over to the wx. I assume I can visa versa. Is that a safe assumption?

3) I used a fair amount of shareware/freeware on the OS5, I am having a hard time finding the same for the wx. Will it run all windows mobile software? I saw a sticky showing a listing of places for pocket pc's but is there stuff out there as available as it was for the Palm? Can you name some everyone is having good luck in?

4) I also observed that in the 700p I could delete a single # in the call log where in the 700wx I had to delete all the numbers in the log (incoming, missed, etc.) Is there a way to do that?

5) Is there a way to Completly shut down a program in wx, rather than holding down the "OK" button and shuting it down from there?

I just want a phone and my PDA back in one. I want to make the right purchase.
    Last edited by CK1; 10/09/2006 at 11:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    1) No idea

2) Yes you can beam. Hold down the stylus on any file in file explorer and a menu appears, with one of the options being "beam". You have to enable the IR port (in settings, connections) to do this properly.

3) There is a TON of freeware (freewareppc.com, and trianglepowers are a couple of my favorite sites). A lot of it is not compatible with the 240x240 screen however, especially the older WM2003 stuff. Most stuff that cllaims to be WM5 compatible works on the small screen tho'. The 700w/wx will run anything that is windows mobile (even tho' MS labeled it as WM5 smartphone edition, it is essentially the same as regular WM5).

4) No idea

5) Yes, you can go to settings>system>memory, and in the 3rd tab will give you a list of running apps, that you can selectively kill. I have a program called "MEMX" mapped to one of the buttons, that directly brings up this screen so you can kill naughty applications when required. There are also several 3rd party application/task managers that let you do this with a nicer UI than the settings window provided by MS.
  3. CK1
    Hey, thanks for the info. I meant to ask if there was a way to shut the entire aplication down w/o having to go through those steps. I was thinking about working it the same way as Windows; click on the "X" and viola, it's closed.

What would be the percentage of people not labeled as "power users" using the multi-tasking features?
    Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    Hey, thanks for the info. I meant to ask if there was a way to shut the entire aplication down w/o having to go through those steps. I was thinking about working it the same way as Windows; click on the "X" and viola, it's closed.

What would be the percentage of people not labeled as "power users" using the multi-tasking features?
    Yes there are a few apps out that allow you to do that. I personally use a program called "MagicButton". When you click the "X" it closes the program and best of all it is free.
    In regard to closing down apps - I've actually noticed a smoother experience when I leave programs running and I let the OS handle it. Seems to run better than whenI would open/close all the time.
    On WM by default everyone uses multi-tasking, power-user or not.

Surur
  7. CK1
    Thanks for the information. I think I'll lean towards the WM version. I got nothing to lose I guess because I have a trial period with Sprint when I get the phone. I'd just hate to get a device where I wouldn't use it to it's full potential and not be totally happy with it.

This is a pretty cool site.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    4) You should be able to delete just one entry. I can on my Audiovox SMT5600.

- Start (left soft key)
    - Call History (item 6)
    - Scroll to selected Call
    - Menu (right soft key)
    - Delete (item 4)
    - Yes (confirm delete left soft key)

Hopefully the WM5 OS is not that different, even though I have WM2003SE.
  10. CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by daytontp View Post
    4) You should be able to delete just one entry. I can on my Audiovox SMT5600.

- Start (left soft key)
    - Call History (item 6)
    - Scroll to selected Call
    - Menu (right soft key)
    - Delete (item 4)
    - Yes (confirm delete left soft key)

Hopefully the WM5 OS is not that different, even though I have WM2003SE.
    I tried this and no luck. Things appear to be different. Thx Tho.