Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 84
  1. #21  
    *Turns on Treo 650* Hmm, nope, this Palm is still alive and kicking. Sure development of new apps is slow but right now I do have all the apps I need to do what I like, music, streaming radio, movies, view pdf, work on doc and excel documents, View maps and traffic update and so much more. When Evdo comes to my area then yah, I'll get the 700 for streaming video . I'm happy as is, anything new will be a bonus to me.
  2. #22  
    Some say Palm passed away several years ago. Some say after the T3 was released... some say after the Treo 600. Whatever...

    What do I say? No, it is not dead for me, right now. I don't have any options, and if palm went out of business tomorrow, I would stock up on an extra palm TX. If a treo was worth a sh**, I would love to have one. I went that route a couple of times, but the road was rocky each time.

    Too bad... Palm's management messed palm up bad...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  3.    #23  
    agreed. just last night , a friend of mine pulled out his Dopod 838Pro. comparing with my Treo650 we had a discussion on the future of PalmOS..

    i'm shaken, to say the least. although , i do feel that the PalmOS is more familiar and 'gets the job done' quicker.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolkiT View Post
    I'd say POS has gone in retirement, it is still around but not actively anymore..
    I would say POS has gone into hybernation and will awake one day.
    at&t iPhone3G
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by skylab View Post
    but the lack of 3G, WiFi, other features, man.. how are they going to compete head on with WM5 and Symbian now?

    WIFI isn't really a Palm OS problem, there are lots of Palm PDAs with WIFI, its more of a Treo problem. The lack of 3G like the previous post mentioned is a licensing issue, not a technological one.

    The only downside I can think of with the Palm OS is lack of multi tasking. Even that is less of an issue because programs can still run in the background, like Toccer and ptunes.

    So what exactly can the Windows Mobile do that Palm OS cant?
  6. tirk's Avatar
    Posts
    810 Posts
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by latca View Post
    WIFI isn't really a Palm OS problem, there are lots of Palm PDAs with WIFI, its more of a Treo problem.
    No, it's a marketing problem - the carriers say no wifi, it will compete with out expensive data, so Palm don't do the work.
  7. #27  
    PalmOS is as dead as Mary, Queen of Scots.
  8. tirk's Avatar
    Posts
    810 Posts
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    PalmOS is as dead as Mary, Queen of Scots.
    It's just resting
  9. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Some say Palm passed away several years ago. Some say after the T3 was released... some say after the Treo 600. Whatever...

    What do I say? No, it is not dead for me, right now. I don't have any options, and if palm went out of business tomorrow, I would stock up on an extra palm TX. If a treo was worth a sh**, I would love to have one. I went that route a couple of times, but the road was rocky each time.

    Too bad... Palm's management messed palm up bad...
    It's funny you should mention the T3 - I was dicussing this with a friend who's got one the other day. The battery is about to die on it, so he's just going to get another T3 off ebay - no interest in any of the later models.

    I think the T3 will be seen as the last great PDA Palm OS did.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It's funny you should mention the T3 - I was dicussing this with a friend who's got one the other day. The battery is about to die on it, so he's just going to get another T3 off ebay - no interest in any of the later models.

    I think the T3 will be seen as the last great PDA Palm OS did.
    if it's jiust the battery that's dying, there are websites that sell replacement batteries.

    http://store.l-f-l.com/cgi-bin/cp-ap...&ref=IA1TA16A0

    I bought a iPod battery from these guys, and it worked just fine
    garinballbarin
  11. #31  
    The POS is certainly dead. I think it is for the better. I have owned PDA with POS and none where stable if you added too many apps. That is what in the end did POS in I beleive. Many regular users converted to PPC because of more stability...
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    No, it's a marketing problem - the carriers say no wifi, it will compete with out expensive data, so Palm don't do the work.
    No, its a battery problem. WiFi places an immense drain on a handheld battery - a Skype type call over WiFi on a Treo would last just a few minutes before the battery was dead. A dead battery is a small thing to contend with on a PDA, but on a cellphone it could be disasterous. If Palm made a Treo with native WiFi these forums would be JAMMED with postings about how POOR the battery life was, which is somewhat akin to complaining about poor mileage when driving a Hummer. Palm, and other companies have chosen to pursue EVDO, which is far more energy efficient and provides better quality.
  13. #33  
    Do you find the ppc 6700 site jammed with posts about poor battery life? Battery life is a straw man argument - no-one said wifi should be left on all the time, yet everyone says batteries will go flat very quickly if this was done.

    In fact, EVDO is a major battery drain AND it is designed to be left on all the time, resulting in many many posts about poor battery life on the 700w, 700p and 750v (UMTS).

    Surur
  14. #34  
    I can stand at a tradeshow and surf using Blazer over an EVDO connection for a good ten hours, checking email, killing time. Try that using WiFi on any handheld device...
  15. #35  
    Again, who said anything about leaving it on all the time? Why constantly attack the same straw man? The fact is that a CDMA Treo 650 lasts longer that an EVDO Treo 700p, and because you cant switch it of there is nothing you can do about it. If Palm was willing to add EVDO with its battery life implications, it makes a joke of their WIFI excuse.

    Surur
  16. #36  
    Your supposition is that EVDO has the same battery draw as WiFi, which is not true - not even close. Battery life with a persistent EVDO connection on a 700p would be HOURS, on WiFi it would be MINUTES.

    Palm doesn't put WiFi on the Treo for the same reason that Chrysler doesn't offer Nitrous Oxide injection as an option for passenger vehicles - yes, it would be FAST but it would only last a few minutes.

    There is nothing wrong with the concept of WiFi support - if you could get three or four hours of battery life, or something similar to EVDO with WiFi, then that would be fine. But SOME people act as though its some great mystery as to why Palm won't support WiFi, and there IS no mystery - its BATTERY LIFE.
    Last edited by Keefer Lucas; 10/22/2006 at 01:25 PM.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    Your supposition is that EVDO has the same battery draw as WiFi, which is not true - not even close. Battery life with a persistent EVDO connection on a 700p would be HOURS, on WiFi it would be MINUTES.
    No, battery life using wifi will usually last ~2hours which is more than the minutes you claim it to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    Palm doesn't put WiFi on the Treo for the same reason that Chrysler doesn't offer Nitrous Oxide injection as an option for passenger vehicles - yes, it would be FAST but it would only last a few minutes.
    That's a ridiculous argument. Nitrous is 1. Illegal 2. Completely unnecessary on a civilian vehicle. Wifi has many purposes for personal and business use. For example, networking with a company LAN.

    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the concept of WiFi support - if you could get three or four hours of battery life, or something similar to EVDO with WiFi, then that would be fine. But SOME people act as though its some great mystery as to why Palm won't support WiFi, and there IS no mystery - its BATTERY LIFE.
    Battery life was just an excuse. As surur has pointed out, wifi can be turned on/off at will. EVDO does drain battery faster than 1xrtt, but not as much as wifi I'll agree. But you can't really turn off the cellular radio because that means your phone is off. Why doens't Palm include wifi? Because the wireless carriers don't want to see wifi on their phones (except tmobile) because it cannabalizes their cellular data revenue stream.
  18. #38  
    Somebody call CSI. The corpse is rotting.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo...not! View Post
    Somebody call CSI. The corpse is rotting.
    Probably because the batteries went flat.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    No, battery life using wifi will usually last ~2hours which is more than the minutes you claim it to be.

    Blazer. Over WiFi. For two hours. That's just silly.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions