Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayrow View Post
    Y'know,...I am as excited as anyone about this phone,...and I don't mean to sound negative, but I just switched my service to Verizon because Cingular refuses to allow you to insure your PDA phone.

Does anybody else think it is crazy,...no....stupid to spend over $450 for a phone with a provider that will not allow you to insure it??

I do. One false drop on the concrete and it's all over. It is insane for one to think that they can safely keep their phone from harm over the period of a two-year contract.

That's why I left Cingular last week after being with them for almost two years. (the only reason I left, actually.)
    yea, that does suck. But I do believe its the insurance company, not cingular that made that decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    yea, that does suck. But I do believe its the insurance company, not cingular that made that decision.

Maybe so, but if thats the case, they need to get the same insurance company that the others are using.
    Asurion > Lockline IMO. FIling a claim with lockline is like pulling teeth. Aursion is much more reasonable to deal with. Cingular uses Lockline. Verizon, T-Mobile, and Nextel use Asurion.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    Quote Originally Posted by eimajuno View Post
    Asurion > Lockline IMO. FIling a claim with lockline is like pulling teeth. Aursion is much more reasonable to deal with. Cingular uses Lockline. Verizon, T-Mobile, and Nextel use Asurion.
    Can this insurance be purchased directly?
  5. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eimajuno View Post
    Cingular switched to Asurion a couple of months ago.

And unfortunately, there is no way to get insurance from these providers directly (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $and$ $from$ $work$ $experience$, $I$'$d$ $expect$ $I$'$d$ $know$ $if$ $there$ $were$). $However$, $there$ $are$ $a$ $couple$ $of$ $other$ $options$.

1) Get it covered under your homeowner's/renter's or business policy. This may require a rider and obviously va

2) There are 3rd parties that do offer insurance like this; the main one I've heard of is Digital Leash. (I've only heard of them; haven't had a policy with them and don't know anyone firsthand who has. If anyone has first or even secondhand experience, please do share it.)
    According to an over eager Cingular employee here in Metro Atlanta, the release for the 750 is still on target.

In addition, insurance on the PDA's (and blackberries, for that matter) is also going to be offered in November.
    Any word on the timing of a 750p or equivalent or if Palm and Cingular are even working on one?
    A 750p is wishful thinking at this point. The only references to such a device I've seen are on Treonauts, but there's no evidence that such a phone exists.

Not that I'd be upset of one ever did.
    a 750p for GSM probably won't ever happen because the 700 series = 3G data and we all know that POS as it stands can't support UMTS/HSDPA.
    Still on target? So when does anyone think/know when the 750 will be available on Cingular?
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post
    Still on target? So when does anyone think/know when the 750 will be available on Cingular?
    Mid november is what most "insiders" are sticking with. I hope so, a new WM5 GSM Treo before the LONG thanksgiving weekend??? I would be in love.

That would be perfect too. If I can get it by 11/17, I'll have even more time to play with it. No work that day because I'm sitting for a CPA exam so that means nerding it up and playing with my new toy all night! And the day my Treo comes is the day I buy a slingbox.
    Mid november is what most "insiders" are sticking with. I hope so, a new WM5 GSM Treo before the LONG thanksgiving weekend??? I would be in love.

That would be perfect too. If I can get it by 11/17, I'll have even more time to play with it. No work that day because I'm sitting for a CPA exam so that means nerding it up and playing with my new toy all night! And the day my Treo comes is the day I buy a slingbox.
    I'm with you all the way. Mid November would be awesome. What about the 680? Wasn't it supposed to be released BEFORE the 750?

Also, how long do you think it'll be before I get used to WM5? I do everything so fast now. Mostly Memos, PDANet, Contacts, CALLREC (!!!), Chatter email (!), Verichat. What will be the equivalents? I dislike Outlook 2003 w/ a passion. Will I be forced to get used to it?

Thanks to all...
    I would say a week to get comfortable, 2 weeks to really know what you're doing. WM5 is a learning process because of how customizable it is. Its always a fun time
    So, whats the deal? I have been scheming and planning based on the inside information here. My plan is this:

The 680 is supposed to be out already for Cingular, or any day now!! I am going to get it as soon as it is released, and start the 30 day clock. Hopefully, if the information here is correct, I will have sufficient time to evaluate the 680, and then when the 750 is released a few weeks after that, I will return the 680 for the 750, so I can get a good comparison and see how I adapt to Windoze Mobile. This is a time line I can live with. I actually ordered an unlocked 750v over the weekend from Import GSM, but when they called me today to confirm availability and stock, I cancelled. I can wait another month to save $300 - $400 and know for sure that the phone will work with Cingular with no issues.

I really hope these time lines hold up!!!
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    I would say a week to get comfortable, 2 weeks to really know what you're doing. WM5 is a learning process because of how customizable it is. Its always a fun time
    One concern of mine is the applications I have and use on my Treo 650 every day. Chatter, ZLauncher, Verichat and CallRec come to mind. Will I be forced to use the Mobile Outlook? I LOVE the Windows XP OS and I've always liked Windows a lot! I just don't like and don't use MS Office and therefore Outlook. Versamail is crap to me because it still doesn't work with my AOL email. Will there be third-party apps. for emailing, or is Mobile Outlook a good replacement for Chatter?

Also, what will be the equivalent of Verichat for IM'ing? I REALLY need something to replace CallRec as well. I also love how fast and easy I can access my Contacts and Memos. I've heard that you have to go through several layers to get to them on WM5. Any ideas on the above???
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    On my 8125, the best replacement for Verichat was Agile Mobile. Everything else was too buggy. Mobile Outlook isn't that bad. I don't Microsoft Direct Push, but it seems to get all of my e-mails within minutes of receiving them even though i have it set to check every 20 minutes. For some reason, once I read the e-mail and it checks for new mail, read e-mails are cleared from the device and left on the server. Probably a correctable option in the settings somewhere.

To record calls on certain WM5 phones is limited. On HTC phones, hardware limitations prevent full-duplex recording so I haven't tested anything. On a Treo with WM5, try LivePVR (http://www.sharewareorder.com/LivePV...load-45463.htm). Has a 5 star review.

For the several layers to get to contacts and memos, it's not as bad as people say. One soft key goes directly to contacts from the home screen, and most buttons can be reprogrammed to suit your needs. On the 8125, I didn't need the Connection Manager button for the CM so I set it to open the Start Menu since it's right next to start and makes 1-handed use easier. I also reprogrammed the right SMS shortcut button to be the OK\Close button, since there is already a messaging button on the front, and having 2 message buttons is pointless on a phone.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12