1.    #1  
    Palm keeps coming out with new phones that now seem like bricks compared to other smartphone competitors. I'd be really excited about the 750V if it was half the weight (like Samsung i607, Moto Q, even Blackberry Pearl).

What is it about a Treo that makes it so HEAVY compared to the competition?
    IMO, it is typically the battery excuse, need a big battery to power a Palm device. But I also believe it is complete redesign syndrome. Look at the ones you mentioned above - those companies are all rolling in money and can afford to design from scratch. I don't think Palm has that luxury - and a lighter, thinner version would require some pretty big changes. Again, IMHO.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Palm don't build Treo's, HTC do

The phones you've listed aren't directly comparable to the Treo, things like the TynTn, P990i, iPaq hw6915, Nokia E61 are and they're a similar weight.
    Palm's deal is that they want you to work the phone hard and it last a whole day. The battery excuse is the reason for the gerth. Tis ok, though. I dont wanna be near a charger lest I am bout to sleep, and even then its only cause I cannot charge over BT
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    I agree about the battery concern, I need battery life more than looks. Ben
    The Treo has a higher resolution screen than most of the slim phones. it also has a touch screen and full qwerty keyboard. Those things eat up space. And the batter is huge, but needed.
    Well to a degree lyndon. The physical space of the screen is not larger than that of many other smartphones, though there are more pixels. The newer models with QWERTYs are thinner yet wider and in some cases packing an extra antenna or two. The bigger battery of the Treo does a few things for its advantage from a design standpoint, one it lasts long, and two the device has a heft to it that makes it less prone to dropping (for most people). When a device gets too light or thin, the propensity for the good design to actually not work for people is greater (hence the many people with RAZRs that have been sat on easily or crushed).

I can run my p's battery down in less than half a day of average usage. I don't want to go anywhere near a smaller battery.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Well to a degree lyndon. The physical space of the screen is not larger than that of many other smartphones, though there are more pixels. The newer models with QWERTYs are thinner yet wider and in some cases packing an extra antenna or two. The bigger battery of the Treo does a few things for its advantage from a design standpoint, one it lasts long, and two the device has a heft to it that makes it less prone to dropping (for most people). When a device gets too light or thin, the propensity for the good design to actually not work for people is greater (hence the many people with RAZRs that have been sat on easily or crushed).
    OK, thanks everyone. As for a lighter and thinner design not working as well, I respectfully disagree. Is your assertion about the higher propensity to drop based on anecdotal evidence? I would LOVE the opportunity to have a Treo that was 1/2 the thickness of my 650 and I suspect the market would go crazy for that phone. As for battery, I'd be happy to have a thin Treo and carry a spare battery in my bag.
    Dont get me wrong, I think lighter and thinner is a good thing, though in the case of a device that needs to work all day, I'd pass on lighter and just take thinner any day.

Honestly, I carry spare batteries for my keyboard, and dont like to do so; if that coudl work anytime and not be an issue that would be fun. I upgraded from a IIIxe to a m515 mainly because of SD and built in rechargable batteries. Though thinner and more life worked there. If the Treo could repeat that kinda upgrade, I'd be happybeans.

11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    The phones you've listed aren't directly comparable to the Treo, things like the TynTn, P990i, iPaq hw6915, Nokia E61 are and they're a similar weight.
    Bingo! Plus the battery excuse.
    the q, the pearl, and the samsung all made compromises to get its weight down to what they are. I think the biggest compromise made was touch screen, which is significantly heavier and thicker than the regular non-touch screen.