1.    #1  
    for an average non business palm user, why would i be concerned with a custom ROM and why would i care about running my palm on linux?

i see those terms peppered around the site and some act as though with out one, the treo is junk. or is it just "hackers" being "hackers" and pushing the limits of the palm?
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Many people build a custom ROM mainly to save user-usable memory (RAM) and to provide programs more DB Cache which can improve performace and prevent resets.

I personally have not created a custom ROM, and have had very few problems with my Treo.

Regarding Linux on Palm, last time I heard they had it semi-working, but no phone support and limited graphics. Linux is clearly not a viable alternative *yet*.
    Quote Originally Posted by japilis View Post
    for an average non business palm user, why would i be concerned with a custom ROM and why would i care about running my palm on linux?
    If you have used beyond windows OS in desktop, you will know there are different ways to do things and the MS way is kind of limiting and non-ergonomic, to me anyway. You do custom rom to increase performance, it has nothing to do with the favor of the OS.

i see those terms peppered around the site and some act as though with out one, the treo is junk. or is it just "hackers" being "hackers" and pushing the limits of the palm?
    It's internet e-pe nis. It's fun though. The first thing I did when I got my PSP was put homebrew in it, and then ordered a special faceplate.