Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Hello,

I'd like a bit of feedback.

It seems phone manufacturers are bringing out phones and selling us more and more capable phones and smartphones, while our carriers/operators are really slow in expanding data technology. With EDGE, 3G, UMTS, H**** and a host of of alphabet soup out there, how many of you are able (In your home area.) to use the super high data speeds available?

In my western Maryland area, I rarely can get even the, now ancient, EDGE system to deliver its potential.
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    For CDMA users, Sprint and Verizon have rolled out EVDO to a huge part of the US.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I wouldn't say that EVDO covers a "huge" amount for the US - just select major urban markets. In the Northeast - considered Verizon's "base", EVDO is not available north of Boston's northshore area.

EVDO and advanced data network coverage is alot like the drinking age - before you get there it is all-important, then once you get there you don't care about the people who haven't made it yet.

What irks me is the veil of secrecy about the schedule for expanded coverage. Verizon won't comment on WHEN or IF they will expand coverage into third tier cities like Portsmouth, NH or Portland, ME.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Ah er.....

I should have made myself more clear. I am and have to be a GSM user, because of my travel overseas. I was couching the question in my GSM experience.

Sorry, I should have made the question GSM specific.
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    Just because HSDPA has been deployed doesn't mean anyone has it. There are, in the entire US, 52 cities which have HSDPA. Cingular is slow with their rollouts. Japan is testing HSUPA and will be available in the entire country within the next year or so. Cingular won't even begin to test it until 2010 ... So in short, there is no GSM 3G in the US...

Cingular had the 3G SIMS the last time I was in the store. And that was between 4-6 months ago, although that might have been UMTS. You have to be in a major urban area to get any high speed from Cingular. T-Mobile seems to be even slower rolling out 3G!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Cool topic, and I would say yes for the time being, but hopefully not for very long. I'd also say that they've outrun companies' imagination and initiative in making good use of them. There should be more companies doing a lot more with mobile applications, or even just having any sort of thought out mobile policy, instead of justallowing everyone to go out and grab whichever phone / platform they like and figuring out how to support and use them as they go along ...
    I'd have to agree with the OP as far as cellular service in the U.S. is concerned. Europe is on the cutting/bleeding edge while we lag woefully behind. And for us T-Mobile customers the best we have is EDGE. Doesn't compare to EV-Do. But better things are in the pipe and as Sherlock Homes would say, "The game is afoot!"
    Yeah, I've seen various items saying T-Mobile has a press conference tomorrow that will be focused on 3G news ...

Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    I'd have to agree with the OP as far as cellular service in the U.S. is concerned. Europe is on the cutting/bleeding edge while we lag woefully behind. And for us T-Mobile customers the best we have is EDGE. Doesn't compare to EV-Do. But better things are in the pipe and as Sherlock Homes would say, "The game is afoot!"
    In a lot of respects, yet phones have outrun what it is that people want to do with them. Until someone comes out of the box and makes talking on the phone a more intuitive process, using data a less expensive one (not just wifi) and then software and services that actually are innovations, not just shrunken down versions of desktop paradigms, our phones will always be ahead. And to some degree, in the US that seems to work. However, I dont think that we can do that for more than a couple more years before people start scaling back on the new and high end phones, not because of the networks, but because there really isnt anything taking advantage of them.

Seriously, if I live in a Metro area, why wouldnt Cingular or Verizon Wireless be pushing my business to have a smartphone/dock or datacard/laptop solution as a means ot making the workplace organic. They dont do this. Why arent developers taking social networking apps (at least in the US) and porting them to moble phones and using the 3G video calling to actually do something besides be a novelty feature.

No one is taking chances, and therefore we have just phones that do mroe and no one (large group) knows what to do.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Good points. I think there are 'pockets' of really clever and more innovative use of what mobile devices can do. The medical field, for instance, seems to have embraced mobile devices and seems to be starting to really harness some of the power that's there - from tablets to PDAs, smartphones etc. Also some of the usage by companies running large field forces is very impressive. But ... the vast majority of corporates out there do not seem to be paying enough attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    In a lot of respects, yet phones have outrun what it is that people want to do with them. Until someone comes out of the box and makes talking on the phone a more intuitive process, using data a less expensive one (not just wifi) and then software and services that actually are innovations, not just shrunken down versions of desktop paradigms, our phones will always be ahead. And to some degree, in the US that seems to work. However, I dont think that we can do that for more than a couple more years before people start scaling back on the new and high end phones, not because of the networks, but because there really isnt anything taking advantage of them.

Seriously, if I live in a Metro area, why wouldnt Cingular or Verizon Wireless be pushing my business to have a smartphone/dock or datacard/laptop solution as a means ot making the workplace organic. They dont do this. Why arent developers taking social networking apps (at least in the US) and porting them to moble phones and using the 3G video calling to actually do something besides be a novelty feature.

No one is taking chances, and therefore we have just phones that do mroe and no one (large group) knows what to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    For CDMA users, Sprint and Verizon have rolled out EVDO to a huge part of the US.
    That's a rediculous statement. If you live in a big city you proabably have EVDO. As I understand it, in many cities (St. Louis and Chicagoland, I've been told) coverage is pretty spotty. I live in Springfield IL, which isn't exactly Mayberry RFD, and there isn't even a plan on the books to roll it out here.
    I didn't know Chicago had spotty EVDO, they have started plugging notebook EVDO cards. It would be bad to pay all that money for spotty coverage.

As for EVDO itself, it does seem to be for big cities only at this time. Hopefully they'll get things moving in 2007.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNov View Post
    That's a rediculous statement. If you live in a big city you proabably have EVDO. As I understand it, in many cities (St. Louis and Chicagoland, I've been told) coverage is pretty spotty. I live in Springfield IL, which isn't exactly Mayberry RFD, and there isn't even a plan on the books to roll it out here.
    Please clarify why its a rediculous statement. Most big cities have EVDO coverage, which is a huge part of the US. There is a difference between a huge part and a majority.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Personally, I'm not in a big city, I'm about 45 minutes south of NYC in New Jersey, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that Sprint has EVDO coverage here.
    EVDO has been deployed in metro areas, not [just] big city areas. Hence most of the east cost between boston and richmond is covered, char >atl and some of FLA. Then from there major metro areas in other areas of the country.

One should purchase a phone to meet a neeed first, then get it for extra features after that. If the phone no longer meets your needs, upgrade after the device it is that you think you like (that way you avoid jumping too fast).

To get the most then out of one's phone, you either get a phone that is a step or two ahead of the carrier (this usually means a GSM phone that has to be imported); or you get the best phone available, and then use it gently but purposefully.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Purposefully I can manage. Gently - not so sure. I'm a champ at mucking my screen up through overuse / abuse of the stylus ...

Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    EVDO has been deployed in metro areas, not [just] big city areas. Hence most of the east cost between boston and richmond is covered, char >atl and some of FLA. Then from there major metro areas in other areas of the country.

One should purchase a phone to meet a neeed first, then get it for extra features after that. If the phone no longer meets your needs, upgrade after the device it is that you think you like (that way you avoid jumping too fast).

To get the most then out of one's phone, you either get a phone that is a step or two ahead of the carrier (this usually means a GSM phone that has to be imported); or you get the best phone available, and then use it gently but purposefully.
    I'm pretty far from Chicago, and we have EVDO coverage here and supposedly UMTS coverage as well.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Just for the record, I am considerably north of Tampa (in a pretty rural area) and have EVDO coverage. I can tell you though I am on the very edge.
    Treo 700p on the Sprint Network!
    It's a pointless debate. If you have EVDO coverage, then coverage is fine. If you don't, EVDO coverage sucks.