No big surprise there.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The American consumer looks at features and price. But in general, they don't delve very deep into features. So most of the time, the phone with the lowest price will flat-out win.

If you read this article, you get the feeling that price is what the market analysts see as the driving factor of the market. And perhaps it is.

The #1 feature of the Treo is the plethora of available 3rd party applications. For me, it is the differentiating factor above all others in the context of purchasing a smartphone. I simply won't look at the other phones, because there is no 3rd party development community. In that light, the nearest competition is probably the Symbian community. But there aren't many such phones available here in the states and they certainly don't have a nice human-to-handheld interface like the Treo's wonderful keyboard.

Oh, and let's not forget the $100's I've invested in 3rd party Palm apps over the last 10 years. But it would take a long-time PalmOS user to know about this advantage.

It's an advantage that's underplayed by Palm and also all the phone companies trying to sell Treos. Not once will you hear Vzw or Sprint mention in their ads or promotions that there are 1000's of 3rd party apps available for the Treo. This is HURTING the Treo sales badly.

If the NEW consumer knew they could do the following, I bet you that $200 price gap would seem like nothing to them.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    I don't quite follow the part about not considering other phones because there's no '3rd party development community' and that the Symbian community is the nearest competition. I've seen several reviews of very nice Nokia Symbian phones lately where the only major complaint on them has been the dearth of really useful applications for them.

There are hundeds of developers and (many) thousands of apps available for the Windows Mobile platform (for Pocket PC and Smartphone editions) and those are available for WM Treos as well as lots of other capable devices - that may be why carriers don't shout about that for the Treo specifically. I'd certainly agree though that applications *make* the device or phone you choose, and there should be slicker ways of making newer users much more aware of all the cool things they can do, apart from just email and SMSing.
    I personally think a smartphone is good if it requires you to purchase LESS extra software. If you need lots of extra apps, it means the phone is lacking. JMO, no offense meant. Someone got offended when I said that before. But I seriously believe that if a smartphone is well thought out, you should need only about 30 apps at the absolute most. Some for productivity, some for fun. But I spent so much making the Treo 650 have what it should have had in the first place and still wasn't done, I said "forget it". WM5 needs extra apps to make it more functional too, but I can actually live with a few of it's built-in apps. Symbian has fewer apps and that's a good thing IMO. They could use a few more, but I really don't need tons of crap on a smartphone that's meant to get some work done first and foremost. JMO, like I said before.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I think 30 is already a lot of apps. I have no qualms with the less is more approach generally - and often that's a very good approach in terms of trying to keep performance and reliability (i.e less resets and hangs) up. A type of program that is not of interest to you today, may be an essential one a year from now. But ... I think it's always hugely useful to know that there is a good, broad range of apps out there. Also, I think the range / number of apps you need on a device varies a lot by what your job is - and by now there are a good number of industry-specific apps that are pretty sharp ...