1.    #1  
    Hi there,
    Anyone know if there are plans for .MOBI domain of TreoCentral?
    I think will be nice - like Nokia or Ericsson

TIA
    Slashdot had an article saying that .mobi domains are operational.

Of course, TC has treo.tc that is about as mobile as you can get.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    What's the point - the 700s can display regular websites at more or less full capacity anyhow. I don't need some web designer deciding for me what I should or should not be viewing.
    No, but it sure is nice to have developers tailor their sites to mobile devices so that when I'm on my Treo, I don't have to worry about visiting a site with java, flash, or other graphic intensive sites that I don't want to have to wade through on a small screen when all I want is information.
    What's the point - the 700s can display regular websites at more or less full capacity anyhow. I don't need some web designer deciding for me what I should or should not be viewing.
    Not a webdesigner's decision, not a web developer's
    The decsion if that of browser makers and handset manufacturers who want the mobile revenue stream not hindered by crappy interfaces and unsupported features.

If TC goes .mobi, they should looking into making it a true social network (think like http://portalog.kaywa.com/) but based around Treos. That would make .mobi successful here (as anything else would technically be a retread of the current doings).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    I think this will take some time to have much effect anyway, as anyone can register a .mobi domain now, and the framework and suggestions for how to optimize .mobi sites for viewing on mobile devices are just that for now, suggestions, not enforced - so you could easily end up going to a bloated, slow-loading etc. site with a .mobi name right now ...
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I'm not keen on the idea of having 2 versions of a website when the .mobi version is so cut down that its virtually useless. For example the google site returns 3 hits per page, as opposed to 10 on a nromal browser. I can see why - it's tailored towards crappy phones with limited cache and browser space, but for the Treos that's not an issue. I certainly don't want to be limited to WAP based sites, which are text only and more-or-less suck in terms of quantity of information.
    Google's not a very good example...as their site is pretty streamlined (a lot of text, few graphics).

A better one might be ESPN.

Compare their main site (http://espn.go.com/) with their Mobile site (http://proxy.espn.go.com/wireless/espn/wml/index). The main site would absolutely choke a Treo...but their WAP site is pretty much everything you'd want/need on your Treo as far as news and scores.