Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    or do you really need one? curious. we here on treo central are a VERY SMALL sample of the pda user universe although i'm sure we're heard. i work in the finance industry which is predominantly Blackberry-centric and which has recently adopted Treos as well. i work for a company that has offices globally and whose employee base is probably inside of one-thousand. we support both (no, i am not an I.T. individual) devices. i also know what "our" needs are and what most of the users use/do with their devices. for the most part, we're all email/phone/data reliant, email being the focus. most all of those who travel also carry laptops but most can get by with their handhelds until they arrive at either hotel/offices. none of us use them to read expansive spreadsheets or power point presentations, we do need to be able to read word/pdf type documents. they are mainly used to communicate by phone or typewritten form, internet accessability is also needed. having said that,

-does this describe you or your firm's needs?
    -how different are your business needs beyond those above?
    -do you have a choice as to which device you carry/own?
    -do you own a Treo just because it allows you to watch TV/videos on it?

or better,

-if you share the same type of needs as above, why own an oversized PDA such as a Treo/6700/large blackberry when you don't have to?
    I needed it to get more organized, and for email and web browsing when away from my laptop. I don't even watch media on my Treo.

I found other devices that do the same thing with a more updated OS and hardware, hence my name change.

So I no longer necessarily need a Treo, but just a really good smartphone that I'm comfortable with. I still have it but am getting tired of the old Palm OS more than anything else. The form factor still works for me. But that's about it.

The 6700 has a new GSM cousin, the Hermes. It has a 3G radio, one good reason to own it even though it may be a bit bigger. Plus I have learned to love WM5(I know, don't laugh). However, it may be more of a PDA than phone. I need reviews of call quality.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I use it for GPS, I don't know what I would do if my car has GPS built in.
  4.    #4  
    i think more people need to try the likes of the smaller form factors out there. that is what "I" think. my new blackberry pearl? maybe one of the greatest devices i've owned to date. do i own the moto-q? yes. do i own a treo 700? yes. have i owned blackberries and other ppc devices? yes.

if you can try out a phone for very little cost, then do it. you might be surprised what you find out there. i personally am sick of carrying around a brick when "I" don't need to. it is amazing what the smaller devices can do.

i am so much happier not carrying around a brick if i don't have to. i think there are others out there that don't need a Treo either but somehow convince themselves that they do.
    Well, I got over my Treo loyalty. Now we finally agree on something!

Although now I carry the E61, which is like a Q. But it's features are what I like, so I'm keeping it for now. Although I must say the E70 is almost just as good and less wide. If the N80 were a bit less thick, I might have gotten that one a little quicker. It's a decent size, except for the thickness.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I don't necessarally need mine for work but I utilize it to manage my schedule for work and personal. I keep program routines for shortcuts into our individual robot programs for quick reference on my belt clip since I don't know them all by heart. If I am away from my desk and computer, I utilize it for email to communicate with my team. I don't use it for watching TV and playing games. Lastly...I use the hell out of it as a phone and I think it works good as a phone...especially with VC.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I prolly don't "need" all that a full pda/phone can do, I just don't like the idea of not being able to do everything I can do without it.
    I use all that my treo does, and I still want more.
    Somebody asks: where is Jefferson blvd, I look it up on kmaps. A builder asks for a bid set, I attach to my Office PC and send it. Someone asks: what's the definition of hyperbole, I look it up.
    Pretty much everyday, I open either an *.xls or *.doc file and edit it. I get lots of emails w/ attached pdf's. All the while, listening to audio books.
    I don't "need", I want everything that can possibly be packed into these handheld devices.
    Just call me Berd.
    Well....I work for the railroad. At times, I'm sitting on the engine for hours or waiting forcompany car to pick me up from where ever place I end up.I use my treo for calls,...texting, IMs, email, watching TV or listening to music or playing games or paying bills. So it pretty much keeps me busy.
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    I feel we generally overuse the word "need" in society. I have a T600 and am anxiously awaiting the US availability of the 750. I don't "need" a Treo, I don't "need" a cellphone at all. No one "needs" those things. But here are the things I use it for that are important to me:

-My primary phone (I use my home landline only for voicemail)

-Heavy text messaging for personal use

-Calendar for personal and business appointments

-Address book

-Heavy internet for both personal and professional use, be it looking up phone numbers, getting driving directions, getting a quick bio off the net for someone I'm about to meet with, finding the nearest restaurant or grocery store in a city or neighborhood I don't know well, making hotel or flight reservatons, reading and sending e-mail from my Yahoo account, or just getting information from Google to settle an argument between friends, etc., indispensible when I'm travelling. This is my primary reason for wanting a Treo as opposed to a run of the mill cellphone.

-Quick note-taking

-Alarm clock on occasion

-games/internet for amusement while waiting at the airport, the DMV or in a long line at In-N-Out Burger

That covers about 95% of my Treo usage. I will occasionally snap a blurry photo, but the poor quality of the camera discourages frequent use. In the two years I've had my Treo, I've installed only two or three third-party apps, all freebies, and none of which I use regularly.
    I don't need it at all, but if I didn't have a Treo, I wouldn't have a cellphone. I have the cheapest voice plan possible (200 minutes) because I probably use 15-20 anytime minutes a month. Sure, its convenient to have for games, aim, mp3s, web, phone, all in one device, but theres no use of it that I would say I need, however, I will say that I'm now spoiled and will never be able to go to a normal cellphone again.
  11.    #11  
    so far it sounds like some of your people's needs can be met on one of the devices that either myself or Lady Diva mention. they can do most all of what is being mentioned. just a thought.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Like a lot of others here, I don't need all the features listed, but one big plus that I really like about the Treo is the user interface. I tried the keyboards on the earlier blackberries and didn't like them. I LOVE the touch-screen, and see the lack of this as a major achillles heel of the Moto Q. Having used a lot of different phones with some built in PDA features (calendar, primitive web browser etc), I can truthfully say that I really don't know how I lived without a Treo for so long.
    I have a Blackberry for work, although we have started supporting WM5 devices as well. The Blackberry seems to suit the senior management and technical staff that uses tem since their primary need is e-mail.

My Treo is a personal device, although I keep my work appointments on it. I do not like to co-mingle my personal information on business devices. The Treo pretty much has all of my important information on it as well as GPS software, pictures, banking (SplashMoney), passwords, etc. I have the Treo with me all the time and the Blackberry only when I need to be accessible by work. The Blackberry only contains work information.

Given that our user base only has need for e-mail and tends to be a bit rough/careless with equipment, the Blackberry works best for us. Besides, the carriers have them for very little money. Treo's are overkill for our folks.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Let's see...

1. I need to be able to get my emails at all times
    2. I need to have important documents with me at all times
    3. I need a phone
    4. I need my calendar with me at all times so i don't miss appointments and I can create new ones
    5. It's my alarm clock
    6. I take notes on it and create memos
    7. I record phone conversations for future reference
    8. ON DEMAND is a lifesaver and I use it at least 10 times a day
    I use it as much for the PIM functions as for phone or web / email access. Palm still offers the best PIM platform, even if it hasn't been updated in forever. Just shows you how far ahead of their time they were.

Without the calendar functions, in particular, I'd never stay organized. And without the ability to keep my contact list with me, and easily updateable, I'd go nuts. The ability to check email is a bonus, but I do mostly personal, not work, email on it. The ability to surf the web during downtime is a bonus, but I could certainly manage without it.

So, a standard Palm PIM device + a cell phone might serve me as well, but why carry 2 devices instead of 1. And why give up the Treo's great keyboard?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I have a Treo for several reasons:

1. GPS
    2. Keeping my life organized.
    3. Email for work.

I mainley use it with GoodLink. My work mail is very important to me. Since I am on call 24/7 I need to make sure mail is always available. I do a lot of traveling and using TeleNav on my Treo is GREAT. Much cheaper that when renting a call and then renting their GPS units.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    so far it sounds like some of your people's needs can be met on one of the devices that either myself or Lady Diva mention. they can do most all of what is being mentioned. just a thought.
    Can those that you mention run isilo?
    I need Isilo. I can't live w/o Isilo!
    At the very least, I gotta gotta have isilo.

Besides My Treo isn't a brick in my holster, I often forget it's there.

Who has a LeatherMan? could you get by w/ just a Pocket Knife?
    Do You Really need a Nice Car.
    Do you need a TV?

Ok, I suggest to everyone, if ya don't need it, get rid of it.
    Just call me Berd.
    -does this describe you or your firm's needs?
    -how different are your business needs beyond those above?
    -do you have a choice as to which device you carry/own?
    -do you own a Treo just because it allows you to watch TV/videos on it?

or better,

-if you share the same type of needs as above, why own an oversized PDA such as a Treo/6700/large blackberry when you don't have to?
    My firm (main job) is just getting into understanding what mobile devices mean for their client's needs. My secondary work (Mobile Ministry Magazine, Brighthand) are the application of mobile tech to both those who know and dont know in the respective areas.

My business needs are email and text messaging, calendering and task maangement, personal finance management, and a growing emphasis on creating usable and accessible web content.

My preference is my Treo 650, ergo that's the only device I own. However teh XDA Stealth, HTC Artemis, and Sony E M600 have all caught my eye.

I do not watch TV/Vids on my Treo. I dont sit still that long lest I am sleeping or at a computer (when commuting on the Metro, I am usually reading the Bible and about 40+ RSS feeds).

One could argue that I do not have to own a Treo. However, since my laptop went dead on me in march, I have found that the usability of mobile computing is only realized when you are truely mobile, and not for short 2-3hr stints. I like and many can appreciate that I am available and not spending so much time at the computer answering emails, doing designs, etc. With my Treo, I can do 90% of what I need to do wherever I am, and the rest (web design, browser testing, cleaning the maill off the server becasuse VersaMail doesnt...) is time that is not bad to spend away from people.

Thanks for the questions, they are very good ones to keep in mind in light of the new Treo convos.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Can those that you mention run isilo?
    I need Isilo. I can't live w/o Isilo!
    At the very least, I gotta gotta have isilo.

Besides My Treo isn't a brick in my holster, I often forget it's there.

Who has a LeatherMan? could you get by w/ just a Pocket Knife?
    Do You Really need a Nice Car.
    Do you need a TV?

Ok, I suggest to everyone, if ya don't need it, get rid of it.

let's keep this to the treo/pda's/question at hand, it's much simpler that way. and by the way, the treo (not yours) is a brick, i can say that being a past owner of many of them. mine were all very heavy and bulky in pocket but i will say they offered a great form-factor at the time when nothing else was available. i'm just happy i can do without one and Palm's financial results is proof that many others feel the same way. they can only get away with the band-aid approach to phone making for so long. their newest design? an antenna-less treo. i suppose that's a start.
    Last edited by oalvarez; 09/26/2006 at 07:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    My usage could be accomplished with a lot of devices, but IMO the Treo has the best overall form factor of any device. I must have a touchscreen and a full qwerty, and all the other devices that have both just don't have the Treo's feel in the hand.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast