Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    The problem:

I use a 650 and a 700p. When I got the 700p in early June, I beamed "ALL" contacts from my 650 over to it, giving me two Treos with identical contacts.

Since then, I've added some contacts to the 650 that aren't on the 700p, and vice versa.

I'm looking for some handy dandy little utility with which I can point the two phones at each other and tell it to make their two contacts "ALL" categories identical.

In other words, let's suppose the 650 has these contacts on it:

Fred
    Joe
    Alice
    Jay
    Annie

And the 700p has these conacts on it:

Fred
    Alice
    Jay
    Annie
    Gomer
    Doofus

I want to end up with:

Fred
    Joe
    Alice
    Jay
    Annie
    Gomer
    Doofus

on both Treos, with no duplication of any name on either of them. If I beam "ALL" from one to the other I'll end up with a boatload of duplicates. I could tediously go through their "ALL" lists a page at a time, see if a contact is on one and not the other, beam it over, lather, rinse, repeat, and then do the same in the opposite direction.

Now without dicking around with Palm Desktop (which I loathe).. does anyone know of a simple (preferably freeware) utility out there that will make my "ALL" category on both Treos identical in one fell swoop via IR beaming WITHOUT creating duplicates on either phone?

Thanks,

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    This prob won't help as it uses Palm Desktop, but what I do is hotync phone A's contacts. Then in PD, export only the contacts. Then create a new hotsync ID (or use the one that Phone B is one) and import those contacts in. Makes it identical. :-/
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
    What you need here is a simple PROCESS, not a program. Palm OS is really bad at judging duplicates. What I would do is create a brand new Yahoo Account, upload both PDAs to Yahoo contacts sort through the duplicates in Yahoo, then wipe the contact files in both Treos and download the new clean contact list from Yahoo to the phone.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    What you need here is a simple PROCESS, not a program. Palm OS is really bad at judging duplicates. What I would do is create a brand new Yahoo Account, upload both PDAs to Yahoo contacts sort through the duplicates in Yahoo, then wipe the contact files in both Treos and download the new clean contact list from Yahoo to the phone.
    Hi

Have you actually done this?

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Harv,

I've thought about doing the same exact thing to keep my wife's 650 and my 700p in sync. Here's what I recommend (although I haven't tried it yet):

Beam the entire boatload over, then use UnDupe to dump the duplicates.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    In one respect, yes I have done it - when I upgraded my phone from a 650 to a 700p I uploaded all my contacts into Yahoo, then simply downloaded those same contacts into my 700p using the same account. It wasn't hard. The problem with duplicates comes from adding new contacts into your phone directly and then synchronizing them to a desktop/webbased PIM, then back and forth to your Palm - that is where unDupe (an inexpensive program, but it isn't free comes in to play).

You will never be able to upload and download contacts between phones into one PIM - back and forth, multiple times to keep them both "current" - without wrestling with duplicates at some point.