1.    #1  
    Palm has been a great company with its own special OS and hardware design.
    Nowadays, Palm is only a marketing company with no ability to manufacture its own product (HTC makes all treos now) and does not own its own OS (Access own palm os)

As far as I know treo 650 has two major advantages compared to other smartphone/pda-phones 2 years ago:

1. Form Factor
    Palm factor is something that can be easily copied. I dont think palm has any patent over it. Look at Fujitsu Loox T830 and new HTC products
    However palm os itself has the ability of single handed operation. Eq. Blazer vs. pocket internet explorer

2. Palm OS
    If in the future there is no more palm os or regeneration of palm os, there will be more and more people will use WM5. And I guess WM5 will have all those advantages of palm OS in the future (threaded sms, single hand manuver within the OS) .When it happens, palm will has no more comparative advantage in OS.

The one million question here: What will be palm be offering in the future that other manufacturers don't have ?
    Almost no comparative advantage.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by esatyawan View Post
    ...with no ability to manufacture its own product (HTC makes all treos now)
    HTC have been manufacturing Treo's for Palm for years and I'm pretty sure the older Palms were manufactured for them by another company as well. Very few companies manufacture their own products anymore.
  3.    #3  
    HTC is direct competitor to palm
    Palm has been a great company with its own special OS and hardware design.
    Nowadays, Palm is only a marketing company with no ability to manufacture its own product (HTC makes all treos now) and does not own its own OS (Access own palm os)

As far as I know treo 650 has two major advantages compared to other smartphone/pda-phones 2 years ago:

1. Form Factor
    Palm factor is something that can be easily copied. I dont think palm has any patent over it. Look at Fujitsu Loox T830 and new HTC products
    However palm os itself has the ability of single handed operation. Eq. Blazer vs. pocket internet explorer

2. Palm OS
    If in the future there is no more palm os or regeneration of palm os, there will be more and more people will use WM5. And I guess WM5 will have all those advantages of palm OS in the future (threaded sms, single hand manuver within the OS) .When it happens, palm will has no more comparative advantage in OS.

The one million question here: What will be palm be offering in the future that other manufacturers don't have ?
    Almost no comparative advantage.
    I only agree with the the first point. Palm should protect Treo's design with some BS patents. Everyone else is doing it.

The other advantage Palm has is the good relationship with the mobile carriers. It's impressive Palm could get the biggest 3 carriers in the US to sign on the 650 and now 700/750. That's like 90% of the US market. Look at the HP 69XX, the phone is also made by HTC, but none carrier wants it, that's why HP finally make it avaiable on its website.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    I only agree with the the first point. Palm should protect Treo's design with some BS patents. Everyone else is doing it.

The other advantage Palm have is the good relationship with the mobile carriers. It's impressive Palm could get the biggest 3 carriers in the US to sign on the 650 and now 700/750. That's like 90% of the US market. Look at the HP 69XX, the phone is also made by HTC, but none carrier wants it, that's why HP finally make it avaiable on its website.
    Yes I do agree with the idea PALM has a good relationship with carrier. However the relationship will not stop cingular to source other handsets from HTC.

I see HTC as a direct threat to palm since palm is replacing its OS to WM5.
    Yes I do agree with the idea PALM has a good relationship with carrier. However the relationship will not stop cingular to source other handsets from HTC.

I see HTC as a direct threat to palm since palm is replacing its OS to WM5.
    Well they (Palm) made their own bed. That's why new POS Treo are not made by HTC anymore.
    Palm is only a marketing company...
    Palm is a software and hardware development firm.

Palm factor is something that can be easily copied. I dont think palm has any patent over it.
    Actually, they have a lot of patents. I believe one of them is a design patent for an upwards curved keyboard on a handheld device. They also have other design patents for the form factor.

Many of the patents listed here are Palm's. The design patents start with D. My tif viewer is broken now, so I can't view the images to check them myself.
    http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...2Fpalm+and+inc

2. Palm OS
    Only if they stop innovating.
  8. ads
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Honestly, not trying to be harsh, but you don't understand that this is extremely common in all product manufacturing these days. One partners with one's comptetitors on a regular basis when a mutually agreeable partnership can be struck. Palm is a US based company. Very little, especially in the electronics industry, is made in the US any more, it is simply cost prohibitive in a world economy. As a trained manufacturing engineer who no longer works as an engineer, this is a sad fact. I miss engineering work even though I do well in my current field.
    It can be dangerous in some cases to have all your eggs in one basket, but even this isn't uncommon, it is just figured in strategically as business risk. It may be part of the reason Treo's aren't cheap, for example. Also, I think I've read where the new product will be made by another partner in China, so maybe they've spread the risk some now past HTC.
    --------------------
    As to the innovation, I'd guess the hope would be Access will give a palm look and feel to a Linux-based OS, and I think that would be well-received, albeit late to the party and product set. I personally don't care for MS products in general, but use them on desktop because their the best alternative for my needs. I'll buy a 680. My 600 broke (my fault, hit the ground hard many times before finally failing), we don't use exchange at work and I really like the Palm contacts, cal, and phone function over WM.

Everyone talks about multi-task. Most products like this, most of us only use 20% of the function we like/need regularly. We on these tech forums may be higher, but in general, this is so. I want simple, well designed phone interface, lack of menu layers in all app interfaces, good sync capabilities.
    I'd really like BT and wifi, but if the 680 comes in at <$300, about $100 subsidized, I'll get it and wait until the next round of products to upgrade. If WM has way better phone function by then, I'll buy that OS/product. Multi-task is lower in the "nice to have" category for me, or in the price/feature category. That is, I'd really have to think hard about paying more for that capability on it's own merit. Certainly others can't reasonably live without it, and on the products in $500 range, wifi, BT, multi-task missing are becoming glaring holes.
    There clearly is no innovation w/i Palm OS. It's just that my current needs continue to be better met by an older technology. Many folks just want the latest stuff, and that's fine. I focus on what I use the most moreso than what I might like to use.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    They're a direct competitor for other companies who they manufacture products for