View Poll Results: Will There Be A Post-Garnet POS Treo?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, there WILL be a Treo with a new version of POS!

18 56.25%
  • No, there will NEVER be a Treo with a new version of POS!

14 43.75%
  1.    #1  
    OK, not what you hope, or dream, or pray. Answer this poll honestly based on your own perceptions of the EVIDENCE, not what you want to happen. Do you believe that there will be a future Treo that has a post-Garnet version of PalmOS, be it ALP-based, or, less likely, Cobalt, or some other as-yet-unknown new POS build? No maybes, answer yes or no based on what you think is MOST LIKELY.

I'm curious where TC'ers come down on this percentage-wise right now, as it seems more and more are becoming disillusioned about future prospects for POS. I personally believe POS is virtually dead, and I expect Palm to do a few more hacks to Garnet, and call that a fulfillment of their "commitment" to POS. But I don't believe we will ever see a new version of POS on a Treo. I think all the top-of-the-line Treos will be WM from now on.

Vote!
    I think the Palm management have emotional ties to PalmOS, as can be seen from their many statements, and will not let it go. At the same time they know they cant go on with Garnet forever. The only question is the time frame. 2007 or 2008.

If I was doing a Poll I would ask:

Treo with new version of PalmOS in:
    • Never

and hopefully get a more meaningful result.

Surur
    No one deliberately kills off a profitable and growing line of business with a billion dollars in revenue. The number of people buying PalmOS phones continues to grow. They continue to enter new countries with their PalmOS phones.

Having a new opportunity on the Windows platform doesn't change the fact that they can invest in and continue to grow their PalmOS-based business.

The questions are, when will they make the change, and to what. I have no basis for knowing the answer to either of those questions.
    Last edited by samkim; 09/24/2006 at 01:31 PM.
    I agree that is probably the crux of the question - and I'd bet on late 2007 / early 2008 ...

Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I think the Palm management have emotional ties to PalmOS, as can be seen from their many statements, and will not let it go. At the same time they know they cant go on with Garnet forever. The only question is the time frame. 2007 or 2008.

If I was doing a Poll I would ask:

Treo with new version of PalmOS in:
    • Never

and hopefully get a more meaningful result.

Surur
    Palm, Inc. doesn't have an infinitely deep corporate wallet, like (say) Nokia or Microsoft. Thus the job of developing hardware AND an operating software is probably a lot trickier for Palm--they have to spend their money wisely.

I'd bet they'll give it (an updated OS) a shot. They've given us clues in that direction. They also have an existing product line that they'd be fools to simply drop on its head.

But I'll also bet Palm does not have the capital (money, money, money) to make the Palm OS stick in the market, given Symbian and Windows Mobile.

Except for a few diehard souls (most of whom hang around TC or sites like it) most wallet-laden humanoids (i.e., customers) will reflexively select a safer choice--a majority position OS. I think this is true even if the majority position OS is sub-optimal compared to the minority position OS.

"Sub-optimal" is an opinion, after all. To a Mac user, Windows is sub-optimal for a variety of reasons that he/she can tell us about at great length. To a Linux person, there are a variety of other reasons why Linux is the superior choice. Yet they languish compared to Windows. Why?

I'd say Palm would be in a position similar to Apple. Not a bad position to be in, necessarily, but upside growth potential is nonexistent.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    No one deliberately kills off a profitable and growing line of business with a billion dollars in revenue. The number of people buying PalmOS phones continues to grow. They continue to enter new countries with their PalmOS phones.

Having a new opportunity on the Windows platform doesn't change the fact that they can invest in and continue to grow their PalmOS-based business.

The questions are, when will they make the change, and to what. I have no basis for knowing the answer to either of those questions.
    Where are they selling lots of Palm OS phones besides the US?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Where are they selling lots of Palm OS phones besides the US?
    No one claimed they were. I just said the PalmOS business is growing.

If you're interested in seeing the countries where Palm is launching PalmOS phones, skim the press releases for the last couple years for Treo 650 launches:
    http://www.palm.com/us/company/pr/recent_releases.epl
    Each time they sign up a new carrier, they make an announcement. The last one was Claro Network in Peru on August 29. They entered China less than a year ago.