Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    If your so peeved with Palm why do you still keep coming back here

I'm peeved at Palm too but I like the board community. And new Treo rumors always keep me coming back too.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    Definitely by intent, no question about that. Guess I was just being playful with my tone.

I understand about the fiscal year, but he DID say "coming weeks" for the release, which is good news.

As for him being pond scum, well, business is business, eh?
    When he said coming weeks . . . he meant announcement of product (like 750v announced a few weeks ago), says nothing about when released. In fact, i think i remember hearing or reading they were not sure to count it in this quarter or next quarters revenue, which means there is uncertainty on when cingular will be able to get it out.
    aHA - the true souce of your bitterness.
    Its legitimate . . . palm has mis-executed. They have lowered guidance by around $75 million for last and this quarter! They really look silly . . . they've been saying carrier partnerships increase their earnings reliability . . . reality is that they have been more off the last two quarters than the past 2 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    So the new Treo 680 (low cost treo) is just really a re-packaged 650 as far as I can tell. Well I guess that's good for people what want that.
    Unless it has UMTS; A generation of radio is a generation. Of course, few will move to it from the 650 unless they are in one of the 1 in 10 major markets where Cingular has UMTS.
    Colligan can't help talking about the new Treo.

Story here
    The signal-to-noise is low enough when he opens his mouth; even lower when we cite him.
    Some of the different sources have stated 64mb memory. I don't know if they mean physical RAM or user accessible storage, but either would be a nice upgrade for 650 users.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I'm peeved at Palm too but I like the board community. And new Treo rumors always keep me coming back too.

Or maybe you get tired with the nokia now ??
    I wonder what will be the difference between the treos
    I'm StayFly, its not just a name its a lifestyle, so get some style in your life
    Quote Originally Posted by esatyawan View Post
    Or maybe you get tired with the nokia now ??
    I may buy another Nokia, so no. I just have more than one line and I don't like to keep swapping SIMS, so the more phones, the better ! An unlocked 750 might work for me. Although the no wifi thing may still put me off. We'll see.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Unless it has UMTS; A generation of radio is a generation. Of course, few will move to it from the 650 unless they are in one of the 1 in 10 major markets where Cingular has UMTS.
    No. I don't think the 680 was meant to be an upgrade to the 650. That's my point. The 680 basically IS the 650. It's just re-packaged in a new form factor. When I say "For people who want that" I mean people who want "A phone with a good organizer" or people who would otherwise be getting a Treo 650 today as a lower cost/older technology PDA/Phone.

The 680 wasn't made for anyone here on TC. It was made for a much more casual non-power user. Like the Blackberry crowd. Maybe for someone who whants blackberry connect on the Treo because they don't like Blackberries.
    No one should complain that the 680 is not what they wanted, because it's not intended to be.

If you're a power user and you want new technology. You have one and only one choice... Windows Mobile 5.0. That would include the 750w, TyTn, or whatever you prefer.
    PalmOS is effectively dead as a future OS. It technically can not support HSDPA (3G on Cingular) so it is obsolete. It can (try) to live on with EV-DO, but without supporting the world wide 3G standard, it'll lose support slowly until no one wants it.

I don't mean to sound like a WM5 fanboy, I'm not.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    When I say "For people who want that" I mean people who want "A phone with a good organizer" or people who would otherwise be getting a Treo 650 today as a lower cost/older technology PDA/Phone.

The 680 wasn't made for anyone here on TC. It was made for a much more casual non-power user.
    As a TC member, I'm not sure how to take this. Don't get me wrong -- I'm not trying to flame -- but I see the 680 as a good option for those of us who are power-users but can't afford a $600+ dollar phone every 12-18 months. What does the 680 not offer that the 750 does? Or the 700 for that matter? 3G? Yes, but again we get into the cost issue. I don't want to pay $50+ per month for high-speed internet on my Treo.

Does that not make me a power-user? I don't think so. I use Documents To Go, Chatter, Opera, Directory Assistance, and more almost daily. And on my 600. Sure it may take me longer to accomplish some tasks, but don't confuse the ability or willingness to pay for the latest and greatest with being a "power-user". For some of us the 680 is a perfect fit, and I don't understand this "Why is Palm making such a limited device" whining when it fits a market.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyDee View Post
    As a TC member, I'm not sure how to take this. Don't get me wrong -- I'm not trying to flame -- but I see the 680 as a good option for those of us who are power-users but can't afford a $600+ dollar phone every 12-18 months. What does the 680 not offer that the 750 does? Or the 700 for that matter? 3G? Yes, but again we get into the cost issue. I don't want to pay $50+ per month for high-speed internet on my Treo.

Does that not make me a power-user? I don't think so. I use Documents To Go, Chatter, Opera, Directory Assistance, and more almost daily. And on my 600. Sure it may take me longer to accomplish some tasks, but don't confuse the ability or willingness to pay for the latest and greatest with being a "power-user". For some of us the 680 is a perfect fit, and I don't understand this "Why is Palm making such a limited device" whining when it fits a market.
    I wouldn't consider you the type or power user I'm referring to. While you're doing a lot with it, and it works well and efficient for you, there is a lot more you can be doing if you had an upgraded device.
    I consider myself a power user (and I'm doing the same things on mine as you are on yours.) And being that I'm a power user, I find myself very limited by the 650 and subsequently the 680.
    Therefore, again, I don't think the 680 is for a power user when there are more powerful (and more expensive) devices out there that cator to the power user.... or should I say uber geek (yes I'm calling myself an uber geek.) You know the guy sitting in a waiting room (or wherever) hunched over his PDA instead of trying to look cool.
    3G data cost the same as a 2G data plan. The $20 unlimited data/messaging plan will give me 3G as soon as I get a 3G device. So if it's included in the price I'm already paying, then I want a 3G PDA.

I should add that if you're on a 600, the 680 will feel like a big upgrade. If that's all you're doing with it (what you descibed) and that's all you aspire to do. Then by all means save the money.

I could add that Cingular has the 3125 smartphone which is arguably more powerful than the 600 or 680. But no touch screen, no QWERTY, and you can't run chatter because it's WM Smartphone. But if you got a hosted exchange account you could use the included push mail feature.
    And it's only $150 after rebates (cheaper if you have a corporate premiere account.)
    Being that you're in to editing docs on the PDA, then a non-querty smartphone wouldn't be for you.
    Last edited by taylorh; 09/24/2006 at 04:57 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12