1.    #1  
    I need to get a Smartphone real soon, like this week. My life has been hell with my current phone and the service I have with Sprint! I have a few questions/concerns for anyone that has some knowledge about these Treos.
    My problem is that I am not sure on which one to buy because it seems like one has advantages over the other on all of them! My choices in mind are the Treo 700p, the Treo 700w, the Treo 700wx, or the Motorola Q...

1. Does the Treo 700w/wx allow me to open lockboxes or is it just the Treo 700p that will?

2. Does the 700p allow me to sync my applications to my desktop computer? ex. Sync the contact app. info to my Outlook on my computer.

3. Does only the 700w/wx only allow me to use my exchange server email or do the other phones let me to? My work is through exchange server.

4. What companies can I get these model phones through? I am thinking about changing to Verizon. Which ones are good at Verizon?

5. Is there another model that I should buy or wait for that will be out soon?

6. Is the 700p the only version that will allow me to use it as a modem for my laptop or will the other models work too? I heard the 700w/wx will not but has an application that will let you. Is this true?

The point to my post is that I want to be able to:
    -Open lockboxes with my PDA
    -Check my Microsoft Exchange server email
    -Use my PDA phone as a modem for my laptop if needed
    -Sync my PDA info to my computer applications (Outlook, etc.)
    -Have the fastest internet speed possible
    -Have the most memory for applications possible

Please help me if you can...Thanks in advance!
    Len McGuirk, RealtorŪ
    Prudential Real Estate - Las Vegas
    Buying, selling, just thinking about it?
    www.LasVegasUpscale.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
    1. Does the Treo 700w/wx allow me to open lockboxes or is it just the Treo 700p that will?
    Hm. I've vaguely aware that there is an app for Treos that allows this - but I don't know enough about the details of the workings of this lockbox to say for sure - does it work via infrared & an actual program? The best person to answer your question is probably the manuf. of your lockboxes.

2. Does the 700p allow me to sync my applications to my desktop computer? ex. Sync the contact app. info to my Outlook on my computer.
    All treos will fully sync your calendar, tasks, memos, and contact info with outlook. I'm not sure what you mean by "sync applications"

3. Does only the 700w/wx only allow me to use my exchange server email or do the other phones let me to? My work is through exchange server.
    All the phones can do it, though it's most likely that Windows Mobile-based phones can do it without your tech-support folks having to install extra software for push. If you just want basic "check email" support - any treo will do.

4. What companies can I get these model phones through? I am thinking about changing to Verizon. Which ones are good at Verizon?
    I usually recommend choosing the service provider first and then choosing a phone. If you're thinking Verizon, I guess I'd recommend the 700p. Actually, given your questions so far, that's the direction I'm leaning for you.

5. Is there another model that I should buy or wait for that will be out soon?
    There's always something better just around the corner.

6. Is the 700p the only version that will allow me to use it as a modem for my laptop or will the other models work too? I heard the 700w/wx will not but has an application that will let you. Is this true?
    All Treos can do this, though some require that you use 3rd-party software called "PdaNet"

The point to my post is that I want to be able to:
    -Open lockboxes with my PDA
    -Check my Microsoft Exchange server email
    -Use my PDA phone as a modem for my laptop if needed
    -Sync my PDA info to my computer applications (Outlook, etc.)
    -Have the fastest internet speed possible
    -Have the most memory for applications possible

Please help me if you can...Thanks in advance!
    Overall, I'd say your best bet is going to be a 700p - it will cover all of those bases very well. It may take a little bit of doing to get instant-push email from your exchange server - but whoever runs your email service for you is the person to check with on that.

Good luck!
  3.    #3  
    thank you for replying. i am still a little lost with your answers. i have had several people tell me that only the 700p will be usable for a modem connected to a laptop. what exactly is "push" email? also, the reason why i am having such an issue choosing is because i really like windows, but i cant decide now because of the feature differences. also, i would like to know what carrier allows me to use the 700wx? thanks again.
    Len McGuirk, RealtorŪ
    www.LasVegasUpscale.com
    Push email is the real-time sync / flow of email to your Treo or other mobile device - as in, it is 'pushed' to your phone without you ever having to lift a finger or ask it to sync. This is the feature that for a long time set Blackberry devices apart, but it's now widely implemented and available for a range of devices. If you really like Windows, then there is a lot to be said for the similar (though still take some getting used to of course) environment of the Windows Mobile flavored Treos, i.e. the W... series
  5.    #5  
    what about the 700wx, what carrier? is it with verizon? i think i might want this one because of the upgraded memory and better version of the 700w.
    Len McGuirk, RealtorŪ
    www.LasVegasUpscale.com
    I believe it's Sprint, just from recollection ...
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Sprint only on the 700wx. It is for unquestionably better than the 700w. The memory is a HUGE upgrade. I have't heard anything about Verizon getting the phone so I am unsure.

The lockbox software can probably be used on the 700w/x, it does depend on exactly what is used, but with styletap WM5 can emulate most POS applications. All the Treos will allow you to tether in some fashion. All of them will sync with Windows. All of them allow you to check your email. All of the devices use EV-DO, so it is 3G data, if available in your area.

I personally am jocking the 700wx pretty hard. The main reason I haven't bought one is the screen. I thorougly enjoy 320x240 browsing on my 6700.
    Yup - Sprint - that's what I thought - and that memory boost is well worthwhile. Also (again just by top of the head recall) I think 700wx and 750v are the ones that have managed to put back in the Treo's SMS threading feature, which is quite nice.

And know what you mean about screen sizes - I am happier with the Cingular 8125 taller screen ...