Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I say may because we can't know until there's an official announcement, but I just got back from a local Cingular store and in passing I asked when there would be an upgrade to the Treo. He said, "Very soon." I then asked, "Will it be the Treo 750?", to which he replied, "No, it will be the Treo 800." I asked, "Will it be pretty much the same as the 750?", and he said, "No, we expect it will be better than the 750, or they wouldn't be branding it the Treo 800." He then said the release timeframe would be somewhere between late October and halfway through November.

Take it with a grain of salt, as always.

I'm just hoping it's got UMTS (upgradable to HSDPA) and the Bluetooth 2.0 stack. If only the ALP platform were ready for prime-time so we could get some real multi-tasking and WiFi on our "Palm" OS. I just can't bring myself to settle for WinMob and Palm Garnet is on life-support. Can't say I'm not impatient...
    It would be nice, but who knows with Cingular reps.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Slinky! You got a job at Cingular! Now you can finally tell us the truth about the 800!

To think we didn't believe him . . . .
    What really happened to him, I wonder? People thought he was theBlaze too. I don't know.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    What really happened to him, I wonder? People thought he was theBlaze too. I don't know.
    Slinky = theBlaze? Wow.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I really hate to break the news here, but the next gen on cingular will be called the treo 80.

the black & white screen will be a small strip just above the keyboard which will measure approximately 1/4 of an inch x 2 inches.

no web browser.

email, sms,memo pad, contact list task manager and basic phone function - no caller I'd, bt, wifi, sd card, or camera.

just the basics..... and...

.......just joking. couldn't resist
    I gotta have more cowbell
    If ever there would be a treo800, I betcha the only diff bet treo 800 and 750 would be 50bucks.
    hope unlocked one w camera flash and 512mb internal memory
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
    It's actually Treo 850, sorry our stuff mistled you.

-J. Smith, Cingular Corporate Direct Sales
    Did this rep also have the winning lottery numbers for tomorrow?
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    It's actually Treo 850, sorry our stuff mistled you.

-J. Smith, Cingular Corporate Direct Sales
    Is that the act of having someone place mistletoe on your doorway?
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    It would be nice, but who knows with Cingular reps.
    We all know about all reps. They have little clue, speculate a lot, and tell you what they think you want to hear. Until there is some corroboration, this is only rumor; does not even qualify as hearsay. "Better than the 750" does not even address any of the important questions, e.g., WM v POS.
    I've not been around here long enough to be sure - has news of a new phone ever come first in one of these 'a rep I met told me...' stories?
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    I've not been around here long enough to be sure - has news of a new phone ever come first in one of these 'a rep I met told me...' stories?
    It is hard to know. It is almost impossible to associate an announcement with any one of the many rumors and speculations. Silly Season has been known to last for more than a year. It requires lots of rumors and speculations to keep Silly Season alive.

I think that is fair to say that there are a lot of rep sighting reports. Corporate reps are a little more reliable than retail reps. Retail rep reports that say weeks to months are not very reliable; carriers do not usually disclose to retail reps that far in advance.
    Ugh someone please delete this thread.

The average person off the street has more insight into future releases then a Cingualr rep.
    Example of reps knowing (almost) nothing: T-Mobile store by me, told assistant manager of impending Excalibur, 'Huh?'. Went back a few days later, 'Oh, I checked. Yeah we're getting that.' No clue about TyTN. Etc. Bottom line: I believe reps about phones when I see the phones in the store.
    My sisters boyfriends brothers rep said he sent me my 800 UPS.
    UPS driver says he has it in hand, but there's a mix up regarding shipping addresses. Arrgg! Don't know when I'll get it.
    I'll send pics as soon as I get it up and running, with all my contacts and stuff.

Berd
    Just call me Berd.
    I totally agree with you all about the reps knowing nothing about the phones. However, this would be a way for Cingular to release a new Treo within a month, if it is really true that Vodafone has global exclusivity on the 750v. If Cingular made it HSDPA, made it a little thinner, changed it just a little to call it the 800, they can release it to the US. I don't care what they call it I just want Cingular to release it soon..
    Per the call today, this is what *we* know:

Cingular will get a new Treo (and 19 other GSM carriers worldwide, my guess is Brazil is the only SA region doing it, but larger EU and Asia penetations), lower priced one howeer carrier testing may be teh holdup if it doesnt come this year (speaking of teh PalmOS one). The phone will go for lower than $300 before contract (some carriers will do it free with a contract I am guessing as well). Seems like this one is made via a China ODM, so might not be a Treo design per say, but could (especially if this is one of those HTC cutting folks off moves).

I wouldn't put past an earlier rumor of the GSM PalmOS Treo being not up to snuff features wise, that fits with Palm's Z22 as a Treo we are expecting.

I do expect it to fly off the shelves if they put 3oz of marketing behind it (not carrier assisted marketing either).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast