Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Palm not ready for HSDPA when others are, yet another surprise.

Or maybe we should just be happy that they can get out a UMTS phone.
    My understanding is that EVDO still has a clear lead over UMTS. US GSM carriers need to get to HSDPA in order to be competitive on bandwidth with EVDO. European carriers do not confront EVDO competition. Even wired connections cost more in most Euro countries than here. As a consequence European wireless carriers charge more than US carriers do. Poor pricing strategy; they have already paid fo the infrastructure but the revenue base is growing slowly.
  2.    #42  
    No serious specs, and still rumor status, but ThinkSecret says Apple's iPhone will be carried exclusively by Cingular initially in the U.S. Scant details so far, but it will of course have iTunes integration a la iPod, and if you have a Mac it will have iSync support for Address Book and iCal syncing. It will no doubt have Bluetooth (all of Apple's laptops have BT 2.0 + EDR). The article says it will be a candybar form factor, have a 2.2 inch display (no pixel depth specs yet) and a 3 mp camera.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0609cingulariphone.html

Considering Palm's disappointing near-term GSM plans in the U.S., I may have to wait to see what yummy gizmo Apple dishes up before I buy my next handset.

Still holding onto my rock solid Treo 600 on T-Mobile.
    waitting anxious for this week. Hopefully some new info about a Cingular version will be released
    Quote Originally Posted by horatiub View Post
    waitting anxious for this week. Hopefully some new info about a Cingular version will be released
    Perhaps. Palm would love you to keep waiting, not to say, love to keep you waiting.

I am more hopeful that Tomtom will release an upgrade for TomTom 5.
    Palm leaves us waiting AND wanting!

I wonder how many people who don't visit forums like these are willing to wait, or do they just go and buy something else? We've already seen many of even the people here go buy something else.

Cingular keeps us waiting too, due to testing, because they hate returns and recalls. But at least they have a reason! Palm won't even give GSM carriers something to test, in a timely manner!! The 750 is the first GSM in how long? Although I don't fault them for serving CDMA first, they still should have been more timely with GSM. Since the 700 was released in January, but they wait till Oct. to give a GSM phone?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    You are soooo right, Phone Diva! Especially when you consider there are far more GSM users in the world than CDMA! What is Palm thinking? You could always give Verizon or Sprint an exclusive to CDMA, while having GSM versions of all the phones available! It's almost a BIAS against GSM users!

Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC View Post
    You are soooo right, Phone Diva! Especially when you consider there are far more GSM users in the world than CDMA! What is Palm thinking? You could always give Verizon or Sprint an exclusive to CDMA, while having GSM versions of all the phones available! It's almost a BIAS against GSM users!

Andrew
    Since the announcement of the 600, Palm has had announcement, delivery, and pricing policies intended to move as many customers as possible to CDMA. Now they have the same kinds of policies to move us to WM. When we have all gone, will the last person at Palm please turn out the lights?
    Quote Originally Posted by rexray View Post
    I say may because we can't know until there's an official announcement,
    "Official announcements" at Palm ranks only a little a little ahead of rumors and leaks. Note that while the 750v has been "announced" for a month, there are still unanswered questions about it. One really has to wait until they are willing to ship within a week at a given price. Often there are others ready to ship Palm products before Palm.
    Last edited by whmurray; 10/02/2006 at 07:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Since the announcement of the 600, Palm has had announcement, delivery, and pricing policies intended to move as many customers as possible to CDMA. Now they have the same kinds of policies to move us to WM. When we have all gone, will the last person at Palm please turn out the lights?
    Well it worked! I won't go back to Palm OS unless they get out a new version. Not only that but I wouldn't necessarily choose a Palm device for WM5 first, but probably an HTC one, due to hardware. Many others also no longer use Palm devices because we have so much choice of WM5 manufacturers, Palm is just another competitor and not big cheese anymore.

Palm also has such a smart WM5 business plan! Make the 700wx the truly good 700 and sell it on only ONE carrier, possible pissing off people of the other carrier they released the first memory-starved 700 to. Then make a cute 750 and sell that on only ONE carrier! Oh yeah, TWO when it gets to Cingular. That is smart business Palm!

OK, getting off now . Palm's business decisions just leave me scratching my head a lot.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123